You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

v1105 While Save -> Failed to Load -> Must be Closed -> Corrupted |  File Restore, Please!

thomaso

Though since v1.10.x various error messages when Saving a document happen 1-2 times a week and often seem to end up with a "corrupted  document", I am most often able to either open the file after app relaunch or at least get the lost pages from the corrupted document via "Add Pages From File" into the previous file version from a backup.

Unfortunately this time it doesn't work. Since I lost a few hours work: @Dan C, could you please try to make recent pages, at least page 336 available from the attached .afpub (95 MB)? Thank You!   twitter - save-failed-corrupt_221109-1747.afpub
(.afpub + all linked resources + macOS are all stored on 1 internal SSD, no other disk or external volume is involved)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for past and further investigation! – Could you also please answer or check the general situation for such issues?

–> Shortly after I created this thread the new V2 was published and I would expect its different way of coding would also fix this bug with various error messages when saving an .afpub. But it appears this issue is still a problem in V2, a user even seems to get this problem with V2 only, whereas it did not occur to them in V1.

–> This makes me wonder:
1. Was this problem with Save (respectively .autosave files and messages about "lost", "must be closed", "corrupted") in focus of V2 at all?
2. Does this News post express / include a chance that V1 gets an update to fix such issues that may disable work and don't have a reliable workaround?

"Updates to V1 moving forward     While we did say on the FAQ that V1 would no longer receive any updates, I want to clarify that was about new feature updates. We will be updating V1 to fix any critical problems caused by operating system updates in the future. So if the next version of macOS breaks V1 we will endeavour to fix it. There will be a point in time when continuing to maintain V1 in this way will not be tenable, but certainly for the foreseeable future we will continue to patch. In fact, we have an update to V1 queued up for release very shortly with some fixes for Ventura and issues caused by a recent Windows security / quality update."

Unfortunately, like others, I can't switch to V2 because of compatibility reasons with other software that wouldn't run in a macOS newer than Mojave 10.14. This increases my interest for bugs in V1 to get fixed, of course especially those without workaround.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff
41 minutes ago, thomaso said:

. Was this problem with Save (respectively .autosave files and messages about "lost", "must be closed", "corrupted") in focus of V2 at all?

I'm not aware of anything that specifically addresses file corruptions that happen in V1 as they can greatly vary, though broken/corrupt files are continually logged with the developers, these are also used to investigate what originally caused the corruption.

41 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Does this News post express / include a chance that V1 gets an update to fix such issues that may disable work and don't have a reliable workaround?

I can't confirm exactly what will be addressed in future updates, these updates to V1 would likely address any critical functionality broken as mentioned in the news-post (Such as the font crash issue on Windows).