You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

WOW new your subscription price like "adobe" based on 2.0 . . .

6 hours ago, monzo said:

I own 7 apps. And no, that doesn't add up to $200. And no, like you, I haven't been using v1 for 5 years. Difficult anyway, considering Publisher, for example, has only been out for three.

$55/3 years = $0.05/day

Confused what your point is.

6 hours ago, monzo said:

The several hundred quid's worth of software I purchased has now been discontinued. So basically to ensure it keeps working I have to jump in and grab a £90 new purchase, at the same price as a totally new customer that hasn't already spent several hundred quid on them, or pay god knows what price if I miss this 'offer'.

Like a subscription, then.

Generally software doesn’t do well in the long-term investment section of a financial portfolio. ;)

Isn’t the going standard for technology 5 years before obsoletion? Maybe less now! I’m not saying I like it, but that’s the reality we live in.

And no, it’s not a subscription. Don’t buy the new versions if you don’t want and keep using your old ones as long as you can. That’s how Adobe (and literally everyone else!) used to be too, before they went subscription.

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

1 hour ago, Cealcrest said:

$55/3 years = $0.05/day

Confused what your point is.

You said:

Is this a joke? "Hundreds"? Even if you bought all 5 apps full price (which would require epically bad timing since Serif has sales all the time!) you would maybe clear $200 USD. And if like me you've been using v1 for 5 years...

So I said:

I own 7 apps. And no, that doesn't add up to $200. And no, like you, I haven't been using v1 for 5 years.

Where's the confusion? I've spent more money than you have, and been using the apps for a shorter time, so your comparison is invalid. That's my point.

1 hour ago, Cealcrest said:

And no, it’s not a subscription. Don’t buy the new versions if you don’t want and keep using your old ones as long as you can.

On here it was confirmed by staff that "if you wish, you can continue to use the original apps for "as long as you like." Which is obviously different from "as long as you can".

I'd like to use them until I decide to pay for the new features/bug fixes in V2. But that's going to be down to how long as the now abandoned apps continue to work after operating system upgrades. As you say: "as long as I can", not as they say: "as long as I like".

11 minutes ago, monzo said:

I'd like to use them until I decide to pay for the new features/bug fixes in V2. But that's going to be down to how long as the now abandoned apps continue to work after operating system upgrades. As you say: "as long as I can", not as they say: "as long as I like".

Kinda understand your disappointment, however, I don't think we can expect long-term support for legacy apps, at least from the company scale of Serif 🙂

We now have to accept that V1 is discontinued just like old serif draw plus and family.

One of my favorite designer has a similar concern, to have a long-term affordable app without vendor lock-in, and he went full open-source.

The good thing is at least Serif is still generous enough to offer all 9 apps for $100 

Software has always been paid upgrades between major versions before subscriptions became a thing. Expecting a lifetime license at their extremely low price isn't reasonable, and their flat discount (which is necessary due to how the App Store works) is still a great deal.

Any piece of software will eventually have older versions that don't work on modern architecture. You can still use an old CS6 license if you have an old enough machine & OS, but Adobe not's going to make sure those versions run well on Big Sur.

13 minutes ago, bayustudio said:

Kinda understand your disappointment, however, I don't think we can expect long-term support for legacy apps, at least from the company scale of Serif 🙂

Thanks. I'm not expecting years of support though, and happy to pay for new features. I just think switching off support for (in my case) 7 products overnight, with no upgrade path for existing customers, and treating them the same as a totally new customer is bad form. They could have kept the V1 versions online on the App Store, allowing existing customers a bundle upgrade price, kept the old versions ticking over with basic security and compatibility updates for a while before discontinuing them. And still offered the extremely generous full package deal to old and new users if they wanted it.

Which is exactly what the majority of other software companies I've bought from, have done.

13 minutes ago, bayustudio said:

The good thing is at least Serif is still generous enough to offer all 9 apps for $100 

It's great for new customers to get the same software as I have for £90, after I've paid around £300, not so great for me - particularly now that I have to splash out another £90 just to keep them going.

I can't be sure if it's a joke or sarcastic comment by OP ... if it's not I don't know what to say...
Just look around... almost every creative software company has moved to the regressive rental/ransomware model and even then it's not cheap.
Affinity's entire graphic suite costs less than 2 months of rental of similar apps from the other company. 

If Affinity wanted they could have easily charged much more for their perpetual license given the current situation.

Of course, every one is missing some features or the other (for me it's mainly bitmap-to-vector-tracing, vector pattern and variable font support, the others main features from my wish-list have been added in V2). But weighing the overall situation, such as lack of decent professional apps with perpetual license and not to mention, how Affinity could do some things better than the market leader with practically unlimited resources - I see Affinity as nothing less than a miracle and I would do whatever little I could to to support and make their business model sustainable..

16 hours ago, Horseflesh said:

I DO expect the awful bug that causes a hard crash to the desktop when you type in the font name picker to be fixed, though. 

Oh, till now I thought I am the only one facing it! I had searched the forum but couldn't find that issue. 
Yes, that bug is debilitating for anyone  using something as basic as font and should be fixed.

It just amazes me that people are actually complaining about paying for V2. Serif has been clear on this from the beginning. All updates to V1 would be free for life. V2 will be paid for and all updates will be free for life. If you don't want to pay for V2 you can continue to use V1 for life. 100 bucks is pretty inexpensive considering what you get and is in no way comparable to Adobe's subscription plan. Just to be clear. AFFINITY HAS BEEN CLEAR ON THIS FROM THE BEGINNING. STOP YOUR WHINING!

Edited by hkypuck

On 11/9/2022 at 7:01 PM, Spencer said:

That's not fair. Serif has provided us with free updates for a very long time. Now there is a new version at a special price. And the next updates will be free again. For this money you would only be able to use the software at Adobe for 2-3 months. I'm glad I'm not trapped in Adobe's subscription anymore!

I agree with this

On 11/9/2022 at 6:39 PM, pixelstuff said:

Subscription software means if you stop subscribing, then the application stops working. The Affinity license are perpetual. They keep working, effectively forever, after you pay for the license. Paying to get an upgrade is not a subscription.

That's not quite correct - if you stop subscribing you no longer get updates but you can still use the software.

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

On 11/12/2022 at 5:16 AM, billtils said:

That's not quite correct - if you stop subscribing you no longer get updates but you can still use the software.

That's not quite correct - If you stop paying your Adobe subscription your software will not work anymore.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

22 hours ago, AlainP said:

=

Thanks for the update Alain.   When I tried Adobe LR and PS 2 to 3 years ago I thought that the apps resided on your computer hard drive and if you cancelled it meant you did not get updates but the apps remained local and active but obviously not.  Thanks again for correcting this.

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.