You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing Trash Icon? Harder to delete objects.

TonyO

6 hours ago, Libbi said:

The V2 is no longer usable for this.

Is It possible To select multiple Lines then long press and tap delete?

Personally I’d like to see bin icon come back too.🙂

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

22 minutes ago, DM1 said:

Is It possible To select multiple Lines then long press and tap delete?

Personally I’d like to see bin icon come back too.🙂

That's possible, of course, but if you edit a file like this for a long time, it's very uncomfortable in the long run. If you switch back to the V1 you immediately notice the difference

I find it helpful that it is in the menu of a long press tap gesture, but I like to learn a program’s interface before learning the shortcuts. Just like others, I too miss the trash icon. It seem that the only other ways is to delete through the Node Tool, or delete through the Layers panel. 

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

5 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi @EducationPrinciples, everyone,
The "trash" icon should be available in the next build/patch (although with a different icon/double function: deselect (tap) and delete (swipe up).
Thank you all for your feedback.

@MEB Can you suggest to the team to make deleting the default function (tap) and deselect swipe up? Or allow u the option to swap? Its the simplicity of tapping to delete an object that is missing here, adding another non-intuitive step to deleting is undesirable, I think everyone on this thread just wants to tap the pencil on an icon to delete. It shouldnt be something we need to think about.  

Also, when deleting, Affinity usually defaults to selecting the next layer in the stack, which is useful if you want to delete a few shapes in succession by tapping the icon quickly, which I personally do often. A swipe gesture would slow this down, I personally think the original layout with 2 separate buttons wasn't broken in any way. This new dual function isn't necessary since that whole left tool bar is basically empty staring half way down, there is plenty of room for both.  

The concept of deselecting is already built into the pasteboard just by tapping on the white area already, I personally have never even used the deselect icon. 

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

@MEB I get that, and for a newcomer that is likely a better function.

But at the same time, taking away a super easy-to-access function that many of us have engrained deep into our muscle memory is a hard change to get used to, especially for us 40+ year-olds who have been using Affinty since the very beginning and are hard coded to the old layout, haha. 

I'm all for progress when it comes to UI, but a removing the one-tap delete function is so basic that a lack of it will jar alot of users. I would like to ask for us old hats if we could at least have a toggle in the settings menu to just add a simple trash icon back in it's original location. The UNDO/REDO buttons have a toggle, i think a check box for "enable quick delete button" would be a great checkbox to add under it. 

Pleeeeeaaase? hahahhah. Love u guys! Thanks for considering! 

OR if they are also planning on adding the trash can to the Select Tool's context menu at the top, similar to how the Node Tool has a delete icon, that would be fine. As long as there is somewhere on the screen that we can just delete with without any action that's more complicated than a tap. 

@MEB Thank you for all your dedication on these forums, and all the work you do to make devs aware of real users issues — but swipe up to delete…? With a couple of shapes a swipe gesture for delete might be working like a dream, but with a complex project with hundreds of shapes and curves…, I strongly don’t believe so.

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

6 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi TonyO,
I believe the reason beyond the swipe up for delete is to prevent accidental deleting - a single unintended touch while managing the iPad could delete something without you noticing.

It didn't appear to be an issue for users in V1.
A single tap delete definitely seems to be the majority of forum ‘users’ preference.
Tapping outside an object deselects already so an additional tap to deselect icon to do the same function is of lesser value.
If devs insist on multi function icons then tap delete/swipe to deselect appears the more practical solution. Better yet add it to all context menus.🙂

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

I agree that tapping would be preferable to swiping. When I compare Affinity Designer to its competitors like Vectornator and Amadine, they all have a single button to tap to delete an object. This is the easiest way and the best way. Even if you accidentally delete an object, it still is easier to undo once or twice, than to have to swipe up, swipe up swipe up etc. This was one of the quality of life features in V1 that should still be there unchanged.

I think the new quick menu is a great addition, but for something like deleting multiple objects, it is not ideal. I tend to use my bluetooth keyboard, just to delete a lot of things quickly, but would prefer for it to work without one.

8 hours ago, TonyO said:

@MEB Can you suggest to the team to make deleting the default function (tap) and deselect swipe up? Or allow u the option to swap?

Best idea for all, if there is not enough space for both buttons.

@MEB This new dual function isn't necessary since that whole left tool bar is basically empty staring half way down, there is plenty of room for both.  

it depends on the display resolution of the iPad.

• Staff

Hi everyone,
Thank you again for all your feedback. I understand the renitence regarding the "dual" function and whether it makes the process more complicated/slow or not. I've passed your feedback to dev team and while its true that some specific use cases you described may sound problematic I think you should at least try/test it for yourself before jumping to conclusions. If it does cause issues we will revise/re-evaluate it again.

@MEB If the devs are set on the new dual function button, I'm pretty sure adding this toggle in the settings would make everyone happy. Can you suggest this please?  Thanks so much for talking with us, we appreciate that you guys value our feedback!

image.thumb.png.4d7de451d9709e51bd4fe59a6adc85c6.png

Just adding to the chorus by emphasizing theat not having Trash/Delete always accessible is a horrible decision. I am a new user and I use Delete more than any other tool. It took me a over a half hour to figure out how to delete the first object I drew on the iPad, and I am still totally confused about how and when the trash can be made to appear. I am pretty sure I shouldn't have to select Fill to get the trash to appear so I can delete an object. 

So…. Yes the swipe up delete works. It’s not too bad with Apple Pencil. I rate it better than no delete icon. I'd prefer single tap.  

Again we have icons that perform multiple functions looking like any normal icon. This is not great ui design.

Just my 5c’s.🤔

Swipe to delete works, it's not a hard gesture to get used to, but a app-wide "delete" inconsistency is starting to form. 

So here's how you delete different things:
Object: 3 finger swipe menu OR swipe the up deselect button (no context icon)
Node Tool Editing Nodes: Context menu Trash Can Icon
Pen Tool Editing Nodes: Context menu Trash Can Icon
Gradient Fill Steps: Context menu Trash Can Icon
Transparency Gradient: 3 finger swipe menu OR swipe the up deselect button (no context icon)
Vector Crop (when editing with the tool): No trash in context menu / trash can in 3 finger menu deletes object inside of the crop

I suggest adopting the trash can in the top context menu bar for any tool that can select an object, node, or otherwise while using the tool. Having multiple on-screen locations for what would be otherwise the equivalent of the single "delete" key on a keyboard can get a bit confusing. 

Also, the new swipe to delete function isn't documented on the popup help menu, the label should probably read "deselect / swipe up to delete".

Just my 2c. I can get used to the new action, but the option to revert in the settings menu would still be really appreciated. I'm not the only person who never, ever uses the deselect function, you can tap anywhere on the document with the select tool to deselect, adobe has trained us for years to do that on the desktop. If there's only room for one icon in that spot, an option to switch it to a static delete button would be super desirable to a large user base. 

Thanks again!