You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing Trash Icon? Harder to delete objects.

TonyO

Hi! Version 2.0 is amazing!

The new context items at the top are so much easier to use... but there is one missing function that is already causing me a bit of grief. This probably isn't a bug, but it kinda feels like an unintentional omission. 

On V1, there was a trash icon on the bottom left that made for an easy way to quickly delete anything selected. On V2, it appears to be missing, and the only way to delete an object is to pick up the pencil and three-finger swipe down for the new menu, which throws off the fluidity of the fast illustration style I've become accustomed to.  

If I ask really nicely, can this be put back? Pleeeaaassseee? haha. Thanks so much!

Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 12.11.51 PM.png

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

Upon further inspection, I found that the trash Icon DOES appear on the top context menu, but only when using the NODE tool.

When you are using the selection tool, the trash icon is missing, leaving no apple pencil-based way to delete selected items. 

Moving the trash icon to the context bar from the bottom left corner does make sense (though not ideal for MY muscle memory, haha)... but it definitely needs to appear while using the selection arrow tool. 

• Staff

Hi TonyO,

I'm not sure why this icon was removed this is something I will need to look into further however you can now use a Gesture for this by swiping down with 3 fingers on the app you will open a Context menu that contains a delete button :)

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

11 hours ago, Callum said:

Hi TonyO,

I'm not sure why this icon was removed this is something I will need to look into further however you can now use a Gesture for this by swiping down with 3 fingers on the app you will open a Context menu that contains a delete button :)

Thanks
C

I think the three finger slide was replaced by a single long press and release, same as v1.  I agree it would be nice to have a sticky delete icon though.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Hi. I was about to post this. That little trash icon was extremly useful and convenient, as you could simply use your left thumb to delete anything in a snap.

Thanks,

Enrique

• Frankentoon Studio - Tutorials and Resources for Designer, Photo and Publisher

Follow us on Instagram  |  Follow us on Twitter |  Like us on Facebook

I miss it dearly as well. The reason for that is simple. While drawing with the Apple pen I don’t like to switch to gestures because it breaks my flow. Just taping on the Side in the otherwise almost empty bar with the pen allowed me to delete my last line without switching hand position.

I would really love the see it back because it’s not just about muscle memory but also about workflow.

• Staff
14 hours ago, DM1 said:

I think the three finger slide was replaced by a single long press and release, same as v1.  I agree it would be nice to have a sticky delete icon though.

Both seem to work here for me :)

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Well, the issue I have with the current trash/delete icon being at the top right when deleting nodes, is that it isn't accessible when one is holding the iPad and working with it in portrait mode if you will. I was swiping, trying to find something to allow the right most icons, specifically the trash/delete icon to come into view and did not have any luck.

I would love if it were relocated back to the old spot or even below the question icon on the right side.

Hi @MEB 
The trash can is missing from the select tool on the context menu, so even if you can scroll, it's not there. It's there on the node tool though, looked like an unintentional omission, there's currently no trash can anywhere in the UI when the select tool is enabled unless you do the 3 finger swipe down for the pop up menu. 

• Staff

My reply was intended to address @Scungio's issue. He wasn't seeing the Trash icon in the Node Tool.

@TonyO Regarding the Move Tool, it's quite possible this is by design since the Quick Menu is easily accessible/invoked from anywhere on the canvas with the three swipe gesture (or long press one as you prefer) - we did try to keep the interface as clean as possible but I understand for some users the old "fixed" trash icon may be preferable/more convenient for certain workflows.

I will check with Callum and devs to see if we can bring it back for V2. Thank you for your feedback.

Well it seems possible since this trash icon is available for:

• note tool(when note is selected)
  • pen tool (when line is selected)
  • fill tool (when fill is selected)

Even though I would like to have it where it was, I would understand that it has to move to the current position at the top from a design point of view. But please make it also available in:

• move tool (when something is selected)
  • note tool (when something and not just a note is selected)
  • pencil tool (when something is selected)
  • all shape tools (when  something is selected)

Good thing is that V2 did not replace V1 because the missing trash button really makes my workflow so unenjoyable that I rather use V1.

@MEB Since you mentioned the Quick Menu, please make it available in "Preferences - Pencil - Tool" because this would also be a great asset for pen users to quickly use this. When I'm holding a pen switching to gestures is possible but rather clunky.  

2 minutes ago, Cpt. Tom said:

@MEB Since you mentioned the Quick Menu, please make it available in "Preferences - Pencil - Tool" because this would also be a great asset for pen users to quickly use this. When I'm holding a pen switching to gestures is possible but rather clunky.  

I had thought of this and put in a feature request, didn't get alot of views, but yes double tapping the pencil to bring up that menu would be a godsend.

Please bring it back…it is very useful when you import a complex vectors from freepik and if you need to some delete some of the unwanted parts…trash can was really handy.. now i have to do either three finger swipe or long press on screen for each layers i need to delete.. see it will definitely ruin the workflow..

and i also like to have a blue highlighted on the tools we select…. In this v2 i could barely see which tools are selected.. it is only a bit darker than the unselected one.. There is no really a good contrast.. please address this too devs

1 hour ago, Smnavven96 said:

and i also like to have a blue highlighted on the tools we select…. In this v2 i could barely see which tools are selected.. it is only a bit darker than the unselected one.. There is no really a good contrast.. please address this too devs

probably another feature request. @MEBsorry I started this here. But great that @TonyO has already created one.

And I can not say this enough. With all our "nagging" here, we still love the software and are happy about a lot of the changes and happy that you did not switch to subscribers license :) 

This is just bad UX.. No usability testing whatsoever? On a single UX test users would tell you that you need to give them back trash icon - or show them where delate now is. So, I can image that you didn't test it at all.. or ignored the results, interesting... 

As a user, why I need to search the internet to delete an object which I've just created in your app? Three fingers action is one more (to the old version) tap to preform a basic "all the time" very important action. From useability point of view this approach is wrong. - On the other hand, I'm bombarded with not so important icons on the top bar. So something is clearly wrong or you don't communicate your ideas clear enough.

I don't like the new UI I think it's a step backward. Reminds me Vectornator. Thanks 

• Staff

Hi @Vasqes,
Thanks for your feedback. 
 As I said above I believe it to be by design but may well be just an oversight due to the revamp of the user interface and although the apps were tested there's always a few things that may slip away, that's why I said I will check with development.
Regarding the UI, as much as we try, there will always be a few users that will not like it no matter the type of changes we do. Functionality wise it's certainly more robust and easy to use than before, and hopefully more familiar from those coming from the desktop apps as well but there's always room for improvements for sure. Why do you think it's a step backward?

I agree with most. The trash/bin button located at the bottom left corner in Designer 1 was conveniently useful and MUST make a comeback in the next 2.1 update. It allows the immediacy of deleting shapes, lines, images, layers with a single click without going through hoops like menu toggling, tap/hold, or 3-finger swipe down.

2020 iPad Pro 12.9 (4th Generation pre-M1 CPU)

iPadOS 16.2

I also miss the delete icon from V1. For example, if you clean up 2D vector data created from 3D files, then there are sometimes hundreds of lines that have to be deleted. The V2 is no longer usable for this.

Finally there is a cut tool, now there is no longer a reasonable delete function. Too bad.