You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Installed all three V2's, installed add-ins as registered.  All that seems to work fine.  However, when I open any of the three apps from my existing desktop icons, it still opens V1s.

Rebooted Windows, tried again:  same result. (Was able to pen the new V2 apps from the downloaded install executables which informed me each had already been installed and offered the option to open the program, which is what I opted for.)

(When the installs of the V2s were completed, there wasn't any option to create new icons or replace old V1 icons. Also, it didn't inform where installs were being made and whether or not they over-wrote V1s or were new, clean/fresh independent installs.  When I went looking in win file mgr, not seeing Affinity installs with today's date anywhere.  [Really need better documentation and/or instruction content tabling, if those instructions and insights are already in the new docs - - just not finding them.] Anyone know where I can find the executables for the V2s so I can link them to the desktop???

Thanks in advance.

Edited by RickyO
Inclusion of additional info.

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
(Still stumbling along given too many directions at any given moment)
Windows10 platform

13 minutes ago, RickyO said:

Installed all three V2's, installed add-ins as registered.  All that seems to work fine.  However, when I open any of the three apps from my existing desktop icons, it still opens V1s.

Rebooted Windows, tried again:  same result. (Was able to pen the new V2 apps from the downloaded install executables which informed me each had already been installed and offered the option to open the program, which is what I opted for.)

(When the installs of the V2s were completed, there wasn't any option to create new icons or replace old V1 icons. Also, it didn't inform where installs were being made and whether or not they over-wrote V1s or were new, clean/fresh independent installs.  When I went looking in win file mgr, not seeing Affinity installs with today's date anywhere.  [Really need better documentation and/or instruction content tabling, if those instructions and insights are already in the new docs - - just not finding them.] Anyone know where I can find the executables for the V2s so I can link them to the desktop???

Thanks in advance.

Was able to find the V2 apps by clicking on the Windows "Start" icon in the lower left corner of the desktop. It comes up in the "Recommended" section; which I can open from there as well as right-click and "Pin to Taskbar".

Did I miss something in the online instructions for V2s???

It is still unclear if I should have right-clicked on each app and chosen "Run as Administrator" first, and then right-clicked on it again to pin to taskbar; or, if that would have made any difference(s) in future openings of each app respectively....???

(Still can't fine the executables for each V2.....)

Anyone know?

Thanks again.

Edited by RickyO
Add final question.

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform

14 minutes ago, RickyO said:

Thanks in advance.

Windows key + S, start to type in something like Designer until the version 2 pops up and right click > Pin to start... when you find the icon for it you, can drag it to desktop.

Yes, it's a pain.

I just added to my first post (quoted in your response).  I found that work around in the Start button on the taskbar.  But, .... I still can't find the executables in file manager so I can better understand whether V2s overwrote V1s, or, are stand-alone installs.  There's benefits either way, but would really like to know ahead of time.  I hate to use the "oops" word.  Hoping they will fix this with next rev.

Thanks,

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform

• Staff

@RickyOThe V2 apps install as stand alone apps, they shouldn't interfere with existing V1 apps or the shortcuts. V2 apps by default don't create desktop shortcuts but there is a way, see this FAQ article.

V2 apps use a new MSIX installer and install into a directory with other Windows apps as setup within Windows, see here.

18 hours ago, Lee D said:

@RickyOThe V2 apps install as stand alone apps, they shouldn't interfere with existing V1 apps or the shortcuts. V2 apps by default don't create desktop shortcuts but there is a way, see this FAQ article.

V2 apps use a new MSIX installer and install into a directory with other Windows apps as setup within Windows, see here.

Did I miss something in the emails, forums, et al that offered this information?  If not, could it please be included for those who come after us?  This is the sort of information we used to receive as standard practice a decade ago, and for some unknown (probably assumptive) reason(s), it now is always omitted; (apparently developers don't see the need....).  For many of us (end users) it is required if we are going to dev our working environments.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by RickyO
Clarification

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform

18 hours ago, Lee D said:

Why would they use an MSIX installer?  What benefits are served??  Doing so and breaking with the Windows standard seems to just add another layer of administration/care/service to the environment.  (Not a fan.)

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform

• 2 months later...
On 11/9/2022 at 11:27 AM, debraspicher said:

Windows key + S, start to type in something like Designer until the version 2 pops up and right click > Pin to start... when you find the icon for it you, can drag it to desktop.

Yes, it's a pain.

Thanks!  You're correct (...pain).  They (and the rest of the code/app-writing universe) could do remarkably better in writing documentation.

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform