You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Requests that Were Added to the v2 Applications

Looking at the feature requests I have been following from V1, it appears none of them were implemented in V2. What are some feature requests that did get implemented?

Added: 

Missing:

@pixelstuff I had a couple of those on my list as well. :2_grimacing:

Blend tool was a big hope for this version as well.

The first thing I checked was to see if the default save as location was saved per file instead of changing after each file is opened. I didnt have too much hope as the thread never got attention from affinity, but it seems like such an obvious workflow improvement for anyone that works professionally with affinity and multiple clients.

A few others that are of interest to me:

• Style picker tool
  • Word count
  • Much improved boolean operations
  • More than one FX of a single type applied to the same object (for example, you can apply multiple shadows to the same object)
  • Cross-app sharing of assets, pallets, etc.
  • Totally revamped new document window (that finally works in my preferred full screen mode)

For me in addition to the original post:

• trace tool
  • better gradient controls it was hard to reuse gradients... Like if I make a layer effect gradient I want to use elsewhere what now? Why doesn't this work like color? Why are layer and fill color/gradients not the same? 
  • Paint format tool like in google docs so I copy text fonts/styles quickly and reapply in 1 click..

I'm still surprised we don't have symmetry tools/rulers that doesn't sound that hard to implement.... 

I feel overall Publisher upgrades were nice. Designer upgrades so-so.. Photo not that noticeable...

MISSING for me.

Designer - Trace tool is key. 99% of my Illustrator work and a big reason why I'm still in Adobe land is Tracing my bitmapped art drawn in Sketchbook on iPad.

Photos - High res when you make a photo higher res. In other words smoothing like Photoshop.  Smart select is about 50% useful in Photoshop. Sky selector I've used once for a cover of a magazine and it was good. 

Publisher - What can I say. It still reminds me of SwiftPublisher or some other $9 app.  YES it's way way better than those.  But it's just not as refined as InDesign.  I'd like to move some pallets around and make it more like my InDesign placements.  I use the character pallet a lot with horizontal scale for text so things fit easily and this feature in InDesign is up top, Publisher is on a side pallet. Not bad.. I feel like I'm whining and could get used to it.  I've just started looking at it and forget what other things I didn't like in Publisher 1 that made me stick to Adobe. 

18 hours ago, fde101 said:
  • Footnotes/endnotes (this will be a HUGE one for a lot of users)

It looks like the best note implementation around. It also include side notes, that is really great for magazines, textbooks and some academic publications.

Paolo

17 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

A few others that are of interest to me:

• Style picker tool
  • Word count
  • Much improved boolean operations
  • More than one FX of a single type applied to the same object (for example, you can apply multiple shadows to the same object)
  • Cross-app sharing of assets, pallets, etc.
  • Totally revamped new document window (that finally works in my preferred full screen mode)

Are you saying that Affinity Publisher 2 now has a word count function?

2 minutes ago, mwilliamanderson said:

From the What's New page (right down at the bottom):

Word & character count — Get a word, character, line and paragraph count of your document or current selection (Publisher 2).

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/whats-new/

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

9 hours ago, BLKay said:

MISSING for me.

Designer - Trace tool is key. 99% of my Illustrator work and a big reason why I'm still in Adobe land is Tracing my bitmapped art drawn in Sketchbook on iPad.

I don't use Designer that often but I've had to vectorize images a few times and this tool would save me 95% of the time I currently spend doing that manually in other ways. I'll throw my support for it into the hat. The amount of time that feature would save in such a scenario is mind blowing.

2 hours ago, mwilliamanderson said:

Choose View > Show Word Count and you'll have a live word count at the bottom that displays more details when clicked. If you select a range of text it will show the count for that selection. If you select a text frame it will show the count for the story in the frame and any frames linked to it.

Word Count could use some comma separators, I don't think Serif realized how verbose some of us are. 🙂 

1808192392_Screenshot2022-11-10at8_57_38AM.png.3f4725dbd15dbbe7accc1d913e33193b.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 6 months later...
On 11/10/2022 at 9:02 AM, MikeTO said:

Word Count could use some comma separators

Definitely would be helpful, 123456789%. I'm admittedly a bit retentive, but it seems like this would have been included when creating the function.

Also, would love to see this available in its own window/palette so it could remain visible for those who keep an eye on such things.

Still ... glad it's been added!