You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The UI at first look it's nothing special

WIN11 - AFFINITY Software - First impression

Just buyed and installed cause I believe in Affinity revolution, the things I'm going to write are for improve and not to just critic, so:

1. The UI loose some fresh, the color contrast has some problem, lookat the "vector head" panel loosing the blue line had become less contrasted, in general all the Icon seem less professional than before, was better the V1 for me. 

image.jpeg.3ebfebe9a6027561a03d3f43629a938e.jpeg

2. The instrument Fill was ugly before with the colourized circle now is better.
  3. Where are the nice blue icon for vector? Suggest, why don't you do an Orange graded UI for Publisher, blue graded UI for Designer and pourple UI for Affinity? that would be useful to remark wich software we are using and it's will be very cool my dear!
    image.jpeg.1a47ba0dd558bb09ce6a5d70b096ab35.jpeg
  4. The New Document window become a little more complicated, no nice preview like before (very useful to me) the new one remember QuarkXpress to me
  5. in the New Document window: orizontal or vertical button are moved on wrong way, i need to search with my eyes on the screen (loosing time), leave near the measure of the document pls! Before was an UI experience to select with wheels the format and search
    image.jpeg.33a9c55bda5ab569854598ee853455fe.jpeg
  6. ADesigner: the Pencil and the Vector Brush together make people dooing one click more, separete them like before!
    image.jpeg.52864b2193e56f250c1929e241749729.jpeg
  7. THERE ARE STILL NO COPY BRUSH ???? STIILL? Appreciate the Select Style pick but it's work only on text, in AD I've a lot of brush line on a reetrace document and the Select Style doesn't select but simply apply something I don't understand. Why is missing such a total instrument?image.jpeg.99b9c8f384ddd84410be68b1479160ce.jpeg
    PLS ADD THIS BUTTON (screenshot of LibreOffice a FREE software as you know!) 
  8. Grafica: The global contrast of Interface in Publisher is less smooth than before and the text has loose antialiases, very strange
  9. Publisher fixed: it doesn't crash more the app before when i search font pressing a letter! Very good!
  10. Not this one is the worst, the nice ad fast first looking export panel with the icon of the format where is gone? PLS Tel me why?
    image.jpeg.b6078ef7071631433a0cba0dd62a0161.jpeg
  11. Where is gone the welcome window at the beginning? With information, fast link to example forum and news? 
  12. Just discover that the file version V2 are not COMPATIBLE with the V1? Really start to go back to Adobe it's seems to me all the smothed experiences I had with the V1 is going quite lost. Again is no sense!!!
  13. Amd when u axport pdf it doesn't open automatically the file in reader. OMG. 
  14. Definelly there's less attention to the V2 i going back to the V1. 
  15. OMGII: I cannot go back to the V1 cause the Publisher crack when I search font in the text windows... Ahi ahi ahi! - It's sound sooooo programmed! :) Come on Affinity Team! Give back an answer to whom believe to you!

Unfortunally more I use more I found things i really dislike!

I'm sure I've still many new things to discover, Photo just crashed now.. oh.. no!

Go back on the rigth smothed icon UI you had created with the good feature of this one but make the experience nicer as before!!!!!

Sorry for my english!

3 hours ago, eoaaeo said:

Not this one is the worst, the nice ad fast first looking export panel with the icon of the format where is gone? PLS Tel me why?

As a guess, I would say that the icon view was not very expandable for adding new formats. In V2 they added two more for a total of 13.

By the way, these posts with a lot of unrelated feedback are not very helpful for discussion. It is recommended you make a separate post for separate subjects.

As a guess, I would say that the icon view was not very expandable for adding new formats. In V2 they added two more for a total of 13.

But the answer should not be to make a worse solution for that.

I full ack to eoaaeo. For a design software it is very poor. Tiny fonts on 32 inch 4k and it is not good on 1440p 27 inch with bigger windows font scaling. I spend 170,- today ;) it don´t have to be perfect but this? sorry... This is a Design software ;) 

2 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

By the way, these posts with a lot of unrelated feedback are not very helpful for discussion. It is recommended you make a separate post for separate subjects.

They only had to make it scroll horizontally to fit more extensions, not make the whole thing worse.

I think you made some good points.

1) They lost information with the some of the new icons, the source of color made them easier to scan on those icons. Removing the color will slow down users.

2) I agree, looks better. 

3) I'm not sure if having colors for particular software is good or bad, but would make the color schemes at least make more sense. To me most of the color in affinity feels kind of random.

4) The placement of the horizontal or vertical button is really bad, layout info should be in the layout section... I feel those buttons should be larger and in a place you scan more often, same with the heart though, that feels like an awkward place for it. Personally I preferred more of the old layout as it felt the info was compacted better and looks faster to use. 

5 & 10) Yeah it's a big downgrade.

7) I still can't believe they don't have this. I complained about this years ago!

The bad UI changes is a big disappointment for me. It's made me debate getting the upgrade, I used to admire Affinity for some their design choices but it feels like they didn't care as much with this round. I've always thought their icons were not great but at least readable, some of the new ones now are again just bad... And I'm disappointed they didn't follow standard UX laws of grouping like info, and reducing clicks when possible, etc. It feels like they wanted to really use screen space in this update, but the problem with using a lot of screen space is it slows you down. A fair amount of other posts bring up where they slowed down the experience. Most of the time it's better not to show advanced features or previews unless the user asks for it and it would be better to make them a separate window as most users won't need that info. I think it would have been better not to make the UI changes a selling point as they are mostly a disappointment.

That said I've been a fan of affinity for a while so I intend to upgrade and hope things will improve in the next version 10 years from now :/

Is ok to me, but Using today I just have the feeling the new versione loose something in the user experience.. 

I am excited for the new upgrade and I see there are many fix very usefull. 

It's ok, is a software and need some adjustment, but don't loose the friendly mentality Affinity show to user with the V1 is there the exactly reason why I preferred Affinity. 

Don't feeo us like a simple user, a number, I know they had a big work to join the workflow, the hope is they can continue to make things easier and not harder. 

We all know a software that make thing not easy is not mine philosophy. 

I am sure Affinity team listen user and make the change we all ask.