You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Delete Button

• Staff
4 minutes ago, Tory123ed said:

Please bring back the delete button for layers. It is very annoying having to open the layers panel to delete an object. It adds ad extra step that slows me down. 

image.png

Try three finger swipe down. I think you might be pleased.

The delete button shouldnt even be there at the bottom left. Its good that they removed it from there. The only issue is that the delete button should be under a new context menu under each object but that context menu has not been created by serif. Think of the bar that appears under each object in the adobe illustrator app. 

delete.jpg

2 hours ago, TonyO said:

It most certainly needs to be there, deleting should be a one tap process and not under a sub menu. 

No because it forces you to go all the way to the bottom left screen for a simple action. if it was just under your object that you want to delete you wouldnt have to do so much reaching for a simple action. its a better workflow to have the delete button below your object for a one tap process. thats why adobe has that context tool bar with common actions to make it easy for users to delete, lock, duplicate, etc instead of making them reach the corners of their interface. 

Adobe's implementation creates onscreen menu clutter that may cover smaller objects located below the currently selected object, making them hard to interact with and breaking up workflow. Adobe's implementation is a neat idea, but is more obtrusive than useful in practice.  

In the new UI, the node tool has the trash icon in the top context menu when the tool is selected (a confirmed missing feature from the selection tool that will likely be fixed in 2.1). I agree lower left is a bit of a reach, but icons hovering over the work area at all times is not the solution. The top context bar is an easy-to-reach place for functions such as this. 

Though personally, my muscle memory is so used to the bottom left that I don't find it inconvenient, and since there's room, adding it back can't hurt. 

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

2 hours ago, TonyO said:

I agree lower left is a bit of a reach, but icons hovering over the work area at all times is not the solution. The top context bar is an easy-to-reach place for functions such as this. 

Yeah, no. Everything you said is wrong and I say that because there is a theory that justifies why buttons closer to you is better than reaching for them at the top or corner. I forgot the theories name. I have to look it up but it justifies why adobes context toolbar works. Again, i forgot the name. Ill get it to you later when it comes to me.

Affinity making you reach the bottom left corner is them stopping and breaking up your workflow. 

Three finger swipe is now available in v2 so the delete button is now in the quick menu. 

Adding it back does hurt because now our workflows are being stopped and broken up. 

20 minutes ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

Yeah, no. Everything you said is wrong

You're the confident one. I'd like to see this theory for sure. 

Affinity making you reach the bottom left corner is them stopping and breaking up your workflow. 

Have you considered the idea that some of us hold our pencil in our right hand, and use our left hands to interact with UI elements?  

Adding it back does hurt because now our workflows are being stopped and broken up. 

Even if the original location is not the most convenient according to a yet undisclosed UI theory, the original poster's workflow along with mine (regardless of how you may judge them) are still being interrupted by the absence of this button. Adding it back to where it has been for years will not hurt the experience for those who do not want to use it. 

Open your mind a bit, kid. 

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

2 hours ago, TonyO said:

You're the confident one. I'd like to see this theory for sure. 

Yes. Ill get you that theory. Ugh. I wish I had it. it would justify everything. i have to look for it. 

2 hours ago, TonyO said:

Have you considered the idea that some of us hold our pencil in our right hand, and use our left hands to interact with UI elements?  

Well, yeah,. Thats how affinity forces us to work. But having the delete button under our object is better than using our left hand to go to the bottom left corner of the screen to delete our object. Now the 3 finger gesture quick menu is a step forward to a better workflow to get to delete.

2 hours ago, TonyO said:

Even if the original location is not the most convenient according to a yet undisclosed UI theory, the original poster's workflow along with mine (regardless of how you may judge them) are still being interrupted by the absence of this button. Adding it back to where it has been for years will not hurt the experience for those who do not want to use it. 

All i said was that the delete button shouldnt be there for design reasons. Youre acting as is my opinion is final and as if serif is going to go with my opinion and implement it into the app. 

3 hours ago, TonyO said:

Adobe's implementation creates onscreen menu clutter that may cover smaller objects located below the currently selected object, making them hard to interact with and breaking up workflow. Adobe's implementation is a neat idea, but is more obtrusive than useful in practice.  

In the new UI, the node tool has the trash icon in the top context menu when the tool is selected (a confirmed missing feature from the selection tool that will likely be fixed in 2.1). I agree lower left is a bit of a reach, but icons hovering over the work area at all times is not the solution. The top context bar is an easy-to-reach place for functions such as this. 

Though personally, my muscle memory is so used to the bottom left that I don't find it inconvenient, and since there's room, adding it back can't hurt. 

100% agree! 
Please, please, please bring the delete button back! 
I used to work with my right hand and delete with my left hand, which was super fast and convenient. Now I have to do a few moves and a lot of working space covered with huge boxes of the context menu if I swipe with three fingers. 
But anyway, THANK YOU, Affinity Team, for the great work! Love all of your apps!

On 11/9/2022 at 4:16 PM, MoonaticDestiny said:

Yeah, no. Everything you said is wrong and I say that because there is a theory that justifies why buttons closer to you is better than reaching for them at the top or corner. I forgot the theories name. I have to look it up but it justifies why adobes context toolbar works. Again, i forgot the name. Ill get it to you later when it comes to me.

Three finger swipe is now available in v2 so the delete button is now in the quick menu. 

Not speaking for accessibility users, but for users operating with two hands my left hand is literally right at the lower left of my iPad doing nothing while my right hand holds the pen. Literally right next to the delete button. 

Also Fitts law is antithetical to speed. Popup menus right where I am working are horrible. They get in the way, are cumbersome, and add time to each step. It’s right up there with GDPR invoking annoying “I accept this is a website and understand I am using the internet” buttons.

Just look at Wordpress Guttenberg editor which has a control panel obtrusively popup above textual input anytime the cursor is moved.

I think there can be multiple ways to delete an object including swipe (requires putting pen down, btw), and a static icon.

At the end of the day, all use cases can be accommodated.

I agree with the original premise… while I like the new three finger swipe, I really miss not being able to do a single tap at the bottom to delete…It doesn’t seem like having multiple ways to do things is a bad idea… just my opinion though. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I design UI for a living, and I have no idea how serif could conceive of moving that delete button. If you think adding one of the most used functions inside a pop up is a good idea, you have no clue about UI.

Even putting it at the top of the screen away from the free hand, for vast majority this is the left hand, is a poor choice. At least give us the option to have on top or bottom left. 

Please, for the love of all things good, fix this error in judgement. 

• Staff

@brennan

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

To all here

In Designer and Publisher you can now also swipe up the deselect icon (bottom left) and it will delete the selection (added in 2.0.2)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi Patrick. 

Just tried it, pretty good. Think I will quickly learn to trigger this function with near perfect success. Having delete on three sides of the screen is great thinking. 

I used Illustrator for many years. Started using AD about a year or so ago and never looked back.

Don't know I would have put the layer lock button so close to the hide layer dot as I'm hitting the wrong one enough to notice, but I digress:)