You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No extra discount for existing users (split)

23 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

No, you have both. They are separate applications, and you can keep both installed, and you can use V1 as long as you want.

Thank you. What's point of having both installed when they are doing the same. It's better to keep only V2. 

3 minutes ago, anuruddha said:

Thank you. What's point of having both installed when they are doing the same. It's better to keep only V2. 

Perhaps:

1. In case you need to share native Affinity files with users who only have V1.

2. In case you find problems in V2 that don't affect V1. 

3. To compare how things worked in V1 if you think something's wrong in V2. 

4. To follow along with tutorials written for V1 if you're having trouble following them in V2. 

5. If you have multiple machines, and some can't support V2, you might use V1 on them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Perhaps:

1. In case you need to share native Affinity files with users who only have V1.

2. In case you find problems in V2 that don't affect V1. 

3. To compare how things worked in V1 if you think something's wrong in V2. 

4. To follow along with tutorials written for V1 if you're having trouble following them in V2. 

5. If you have multiple machines, and some can't support V2, you might use V1 on them.

1) How about opening v2 files in V1  a with warning of missing items. I hope still we can open V1 files in V2.

2) I didn't get it. V2 isn't the new version of Affinity suite. So it should be a bug fix version of V1. How it's possible to break something in V2 that works in V1.

3) I don't think V2 has much difference when we compare with v1. It has new look and new features. Still 99% tools are same as affinity V1

4) Alright. Everybody needs to adopt to new V2. What's point of following V1 tutorials in V2 unless it's a same tool.

5) I guess both V1 and v2 system requirements are same. It support only windows 10 and 11. 

26 minutes ago, anuruddha said:

5) I guess both V1 and v2 system requirements are same. It support only windows 10 and 11. 

V1 supported Windows 7 and 8, too. And some earlier releases of Windows 10.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

39 minutes ago, anuruddha said:

1) How about opening v2 files in V1  a with warning of missing items. I hope still we can open V1 files in V2.

Yes, V2 opens V1 files. 

40 minutes ago, anuruddha said:

Alright. Everybody needs to adopt to new V2. What's point of following V1 tutorials in V2 unless it's a same tool

For awhile, there will be more V1 tutorials than V2 tutorials, especially those created outside Serif. 

-- Walt
PC:

I'm OK with no upgrade pricing because the 40% off launch deal is about what I would have expected anyway. 

I know it'll never happen but a nice benefit to upgraders might be to let us transfer a v1 license to another account. If I could give away my v1 products to some other people, that would be nice for me, and it might encourage a v2 sale later. 

Honestly, I need the damn software to be stable and if the intro price here is the cost of that and continued updates, fine.  I bit the bullet and bought it.  

It is EVERYTHING that V1 should have been.  I was an early adopter of Affinity and came from the bulletproof Page Plus software.  Affinity has been a buggy mess since it's release.  But I have stuck with it, over the past couple years.  I have sworn out loud so many times I cannot count, for all the times the software has crashed on me mid project....

Rant Done. 

V2 Looks Good, seems stable and is fast as hell.  Loving it. 

As for the people that just bought the software recently, I would highly recommend you reach out to the Affinity Sales Team to see if there is something that can be done for you.  You're not an early adopter like me, and you might be able to get them to bump you up to the latest version.  Worth a shot.    

Windows 10 x64 (OS Build 19043.1706) - AMD 5900X - 32 GB - 2 TB M.2 - 1 TB SSD - Radeon 6900XT

I feel a little dissappointed too. 

I bought ALL V1 Apps on Desktop and on Ipad, additional to about 15-20 add-ons last year. These price politics are very annoying and V1-Users should at least get a Promocde. Affinity growth on existing users, not on new, that now get the same price... 😪

Edited by Azazaraa

• Staff

@Azazaraa

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

Sorry you are disappointed, but my reply here explains that if there was a promo code for existing users it would ONLY give you 40% and less for everyone else.

We have to eat

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I've been using affinity for 2 years, as a freelancer the price attracted me and I tested it. I didn't imagine that there would be any software that would allow me to use my notebook from 12 years ago and that would be light and more like adobe.

Having said that, I think the affinity software is amazing and I think they are on the right track, it would be too much to ask for the software not to have bugs, to compete head-on with adobe and to be a cheap software, even more in the midst of the crisis since the beginning of covid until now.

So that 40% is fine in my opinion for now. Perhaps as the number of users grows and the crisis improves and the company's revenue, we can also have a better business model, less bugs and good for everyone, in fact I think it's already good... not having a subscription model is already sensational and I think which is not sustainable for long, thanks affinity, hope to be able to use V2 soon.

But I understand the frustration of some, I also expected some discount for existing users, but that's it.

12 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

@Azazaraa

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

Sorry you are disappointed, but my reply here explains that if there was a promo code for existing users it would ONLY give you 40% and less for everyone else.

We have to eat

I bought it anyway about a hour ago. I like the new Universal-Licence-Thing. It's much easier to handle. 

Cheers 

8 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

We have to eat

So do I. And I was hit yesterday with a bill for £90 as the 7 products I purchased and spent several hundred quid on, and recommended to many, many others, have now been abandoned.

No upgrade path for existing cusomers (yes you can do this via the App Store, other developers do it) or reward for customer loyalty, and if I don't make the £90 jump now heavens knows what it'll cost in a few months time.

Along with the tripling of energy bills and other insane price increases we're being hit with, this is really bad timing. You could at least keep the V1 versions working and secure for our (7x) "one-off" payments, like some other companies do, but you have chosen not to.

Disappointed doesn't cover it.

I cannot find stated anywhere in the v2 information pages when the introductory deal ends. Is this stated anywhere?

FWIW considering the low price of Affinity software compared to others (and the obvious), I'm pretty ok with the pricing of V2. But Affinity should make it super SUPER clear that the license covers a lifetime use of that particular version and updates for that version only. I expected this to be the case but clearly others don't.

Edited by blakecasmir
upgrades / updates

I don't really mind not having a separate upgrade price. That's fine for me.

I kind of expected a "V2" to happen when updates more or less suddenly stopped like half a year ago.

However, I have to agree with the sentiment of others: Dropping V1 support the moment V2 is announced and releases feels a bit off and disappointing.

I actually like the way Microsoft Handles their standalone/one-time-purchase office releases these days. You'll still get bugfixes and security updates, but you're simply locked out of new features and additions, if you don't get the new license.

On their end, I would have announced an upcoming V2 together with the last update for 1.9. This way users wouldn't have bought it "last minute" and get disappointed. Existing users would have had way more time to make a decision. (But let's be real, the 40% launch discount with no set end date is a nice gesture, but also preying at least a bit on FOMO. These are practices I'd say this company certainly doesn't have to use for people to get the upgrades.)

• Staff
21 minutes ago, blakecasmir said:

Is this stated anywhere?

No we have not stated, but it will last a number of weeks

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

56 minutes ago, monzo said:

You could at least keep the V1 versions working and secure for our (7x) "one-off" payments,

I can't see any reason why the v1 versions should not continue to work for a long time – I'm still using some old Serif (and other) software which is now around ten+ years old!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

3 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

I can't see any reason why the v1 versions should not continue to work for a long time – I'm still using some old Serif (and other) software which is now around ten+ years old!

On an up to date operating system? That's a bit of luck if so, but you can't predict future compatibility, or security.

1 minute ago, monzo said:

On an up to date operating system? That's a bit of luck if so, but you can't predict future compatibility, or security.

I am still using the last versions of the Serif Plus range (in particular, WebPlus X8 2016 and PagePlus X9 2015) on a completely up-to-date Windows 11 system. I don't think it unreasonable to assume that the V1 Affinity range might have a similar longevity.

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

3 minutes ago, hiroscary said:

Is this how Serif moderator handles feedbacks and complaints? I wish you who are working for this company good luck! 

The explanation is fair enough. It's just that, obviously, what Patrick forgets is that anyone else also has to eat.

Not saying that I won't be able to eat if I buy the v2 apps, but, the rationalization is a bit shortsighted. We all have to eat. The question is whether we'll be able, when software becomes more and more expensive. Already wrote it elsewhere: The Affinity apps now cost 60 % more than the originally did. Of course, you could argue that inflation has a similar impact now, and you wouldn't even be wrong... the question is, is it a good idea to add to it.

9 minutes ago, chakko007 said:

The explanation is fair enough. It's just that, obviously, what Patrick forgets is that anyone else also has to eat.

Not saying that I won't be able to eat if I buy the v2 apps, but, the rationalization is a bit shortsighted. We all have to eat. The question is whether we'll be able, when software becomes more and more expensive. Already wrote it elsewhere: The Affinity apps now cost 60 % more than the originally did. Of course, you could argue that inflation has a similar impact now, and you wouldn't even be wrong... the question is, is it a good idea to add to it.

It's quite simple. I referred severall users to serif's software and I praised their products and company. After slapping my recent referrals in the face by telling them they have to pay again for updates shortly after their initial purchase, I won't refer them again.

10 minutes ago, chakko007 said:

It's just the upgrade-policy that annoys the existing users. For example my authoring-software papyrus gives always a discount of about 40% for upgrades from last version, 30% from older versions. No discount for new users at introduction and about 10-20% on special occasions later. That shows a specific apprecation/regard to existing users...