You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No extra discount for existing users (split)

Right, so I already own:

Affinity Designer for Mac, iOS and Windows
Affinity Photo for Mac, iOS and Windows
Affinity Publisher for Mac

And I don't get an extra discount - I pay exactly the same as a new user.

Thanks for that.

Yes I know it's a good deal already, but some recognition of existing customer loyalty wouldn't have gone amiss.

24 minutes ago, monzo said:

Yes I know it's a good deal already, but some recognition of existing customer loyalty wouldn't have gone amiss.

I agree. Especially we discussed on the forum, add some suggestions, advice, ideas, reporting bugs :(

BTW: Why, oh, why measure tool has no option to stay on picture as new vector object? :( 

32 minutes ago, monzo said:

Right, so I already own:

Affinity Designer for Mac, iOS and Windows
Affinity Photo for Mac, iOS and Windows
Affinity Publisher for Mac

And I don't get an extra discount - I pay exactly the same as a new user.

Thanks for that.

Debateable point. It is as you say a bloody good deal. Loyalty bonus would be nice but I don't begrudge them the price as it is one of or just  "the" best deals for software I know of.  

www.JAmedia.uk  and www.TamworthHeritage.org.uk
[Win 11  | AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]

• Staff

@monzo, @Kokosz & @Chills

This question has been split from the marketing announcement as that thread has been locked as too many people were asking unrelated questions

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Chills said:

Debateable point. It is as you say a bloody good deal. Loyalty bonus would be nice but I don't begrudge them the price as it is one of or just  "the" best deals for software I know of.  

We've just had a tripling of our energy bills here, everything else is going up too, and the weekly food shop has increased by 25%. Services are being cut left, right and centre, and we've lost respite care for our disabled son. I'm not even going to think about the rise in mortgage rates and rental costs...

I've invested several hundred pounds in the Affinity Suite, and I find today all my products are now discontinued, so I have to find ninety quid somewhere, to keep them updated. As a loyal customer, and someone who has encouraged many others to buy their products, the additional discount for me, is 0.

Thanks, Affinity.

4 minutes ago, monzo said:

We've just had a tripling of our energy bills here, everything else is going up too, and the weekly food shop has increased by 25%. Services are being cut left, right and centre, and we've lost respite care for our disabled son. I'm not even going to think about the rise in mortgage rates and rental costs...

I've invested several hundred pounds in the Affinity Suite, and I find today all my products are now discontinued, so I have to find ninety quid somewhere, to keep them updated. As a loyal customer, and someone who has encouraged many others to buy their products, the additional discount for me, is 0.

Thanks, Affinity.

I don’t understand the point you’re trying to make. Have you products all stopped working? No. Are you being forced to upgrade? No. Have you had up to 5+ years of v1 upgrades for free? Yes. But that’s not enough?

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

15 minutes ago, monzo said:

Thanks, Affinity.

Great Price on the software suite.  But I've been operating on their V1 software and it's never been stable for me.  If 99 bucks is the price of continued support... I will pay it.  However, I'm not happy with the fact that their initial foray dropped support.  Page Plus X9 was bulletproof... It never crashed now matter how big my documents were.  Affinity Publisher has been an absolute shit show for me the entire time.  I have been on it since it was in beta (and it remained in Beta as far as I can tell, from a certain point of view, the entire time).  

Windows 10 x64 (OS Build 19043.1706) - AMD 5900X - 32 GB - 2 TB M.2 - 1 TB SSD - Radeon 6900XT

1 minute ago, VectorVonDoom said:

I don’t understand the point you’re trying to make. Have you products all stopped working? No. Are you being forced to upgrade? No. Have you had up to 5+ years of v1 upgrades for free? Yes. But that’s not enough?

They are saying what I was thinking.  I bought the entire suite and it's never functioned flawlessly like their older products did.  We have to pay 99 bucks for support now, after they dropped support on Gen 1 

Windows 10 x64 (OS Build 19043.1706) - AMD 5900X - 32 GB - 2 TB M.2 - 1 TB SSD - Radeon 6900XT

2 hours ago, monzo said:

I also agree with this, especially coupled with the fact that existing v1 licenses, which will soon be unused after we upgrade to v2, are apparently not transferable to anyone else. 

It's not too difficult to swallow the "no upgrade discount to v2" this time around, as the sale package price still seems quite reasonable all things considered. But I'll be annoyed if the 40% discount becomes, say, a 50% discount later this month, since that would be taking advantage of all of the current v1 customers who've been waiting anxiously for v2 and are buying the suite today. For them, it would amount to an upgrade surcharge, not an upgrade discount.

5 minutes ago, VectorVonDoom said:

How do you know how long I've had all the products for? And Publisher was only released three years ago.

The point is, there's zero additional discount for those of us that have already invested hundreds in Affinity software (Ableton, for example, provide a hefty discount for existing customers) and have been shouting about how great it is to encourage others to buy it, and I've now got to find ninety quid if I want to keep them updated at the worst possible time.

16 minutes ago, monzo said:

How do you know how long I've had all the products for? And Publisher was only released three years ago.

The point is, there's zero additional discount for those of us that have already invested hundreds in Affinity software (Ableton, for example, provide a hefty discount for existing customers) and have been shouting about how great it is to encourage others to buy it, and I've now got to find ninety quid if I want to keep them updated at the worst possible time.

Well places like the Apple store doesn’t allow for upgrade pricing and you can’t have different prices depending where you buy it. So count that 40% off as your upgrade discount, it’s just they have to do it for everyone. Sounds as though free is what you’re really after though not a discount at all.

Which is why I said up to 5+ years.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

I find it quite disappointing. I don't have 160 AUD to drop on software that I'm not really convinced is much of an upgrade, especially given the main changes seem to be a slight redesign with a mixed reception and some basic tools that should have already been in the program. I wouldn't really have a problem if there was fair upgrade pricing for previous customers, especially given how many of us have voluntarily supported Affinity through the store. I'm a hobbyist so it's quite difficult to justify.

The excuse for not offering upgrade pricing is weak. Some of the sales have been made in app stores, so it is impossible to offer a discount? There are so many ways to make that not a problem, like having the upgrade offer be contained inside a licenced version of the app, on the popup where you regularly advertise... offers. If you had said you needed the money to keep the company going, then that's fair, but you didn't, instead making up a weird excuse and dodging the question that is seeming to frustrate a lot of customers.

I've been an Affinity user for a while, but imagine someone who just bought the whole suite a month or two ago for full price. Well, they're now completely screwed, because 2.0 was not announced in advance, and new customers were still being sold a promise of future updates for their software which will now get none. Will they ever trust Serif or want to be a repeat customer? Nope. No warning.

The most frustrating thing for me is the way it has been communicated (or perhaps miscommunicated). Over time, I separately bought the apps for a combined total of 165 AUD. It's weirdly insulting that you are now saying I can rebuy all the software for 160 AUD which is a limited time bundle price, making it a whole 5 AUD less than when I bought all the apps separately. Out of the blue I have to double the amount of money I've spent on Affinity software to get any more updates, and there is no roadmap or transparency or commitment for how long it is until I'll wake up one morning and get an email saying it's happening all over again with 3.0. For people working at Serif, please remember that while you may have known about this coming change for a long time, all of this was just dropped on us customers like a rock with absolutely no heads up. It might still be a nice deal for new customers, but it is not the generous deal for us that you are trying to imply.

It's just a terrible deal. The Affinity software I own suddenly stops getting any updates immediately, with no prior warning. This legacy version is still relatively rough around the edges and has plenty of bugs that will never be patched. I can now spend the same amount of money all over again to continue getting updates using a limited-for-an-unknown-period-of-time offer and bundle price, which would only be a good deal if I wasn't already a committed user owning all the apps and supporting the store. This new software that I am being pushed to buy has absolutely no commitment, because getting updates until 3.0 could mean 10 years or it could mean 3 months. If I buy just one or two of the apps, then the files will no longer be intercompatible, nullifying one of the main selling points. My reward for being a loyal customer and supporter is absolutely nothing, and the seriously bad timing given the current global economic timing is weird. It's being called an 'upgrade' when there is no upgrade pricing and really you just have to buy it all again. That is replacing, not upgrading.

It's still possible to go ahead and clean up the mistake to restore all of the customer faith that has just been burnt for no reason by offering upgrade pricing, including retroactively. Additionally, there is clearly a lot of need for transparency and communication, especially given how invested into your ecosystem you want people to be. Again, if your company needs more money, just say so — I'd buy a properly signposted update for fair upgrade pricing every 3-6 years without hesitation. I would be willing to keep buying from the store to make sure Affinity stays profitable while getting a little something in return. While I'd absolutely love to keep supporting Affinity, I have absolutely no reason to trust Serif ever again until this situation is resolved.

30 minutes ago, SaltyClownShoes said:

They are saying what I was thinking.  I bought the entire suite and it's never functioned flawlessly like their older products did.  We have to pay 99 bucks for support now, after they dropped support on Gen 1 

Unfortunately that’s the nature of software, always has been and always will be. Companies don’t spend the resources on things people can no longer buy. Like I said people have had up to 5+ years of free upgrades, that never goes on forever as it’s not commercially viable.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

3 minutes ago, VectorVonDoom said:

Sounds as though free is what you’re really after though not a discount at all.

Where did I say I'm after free?

4 minutes ago, VectorVonDoom said:

Which is why I said up to 5+ years.

Except Publisher has only been available for three, and obviously not everyone bought them on the day of release.

5 minutes ago, VectorVonDoom said:

Well places like the Apple store doesn’t allow for upgrade pricing and you can’t have different prices depending where you buy it.

Voucher codes? I'm sure Affinity have records of how many licenses have been bought by each customer via their own website and the app store. Provide a percentage discount code for x-number of purchases.

16 minutes ago, monzo said:

Where did I say I'm after free?

Except Publisher has only been available for three, and obviously not everyone bought them on the day of release.

Voucher codes? I'm sure Affinity have records of how many licenses have been bought by each customer via their own website and the app store. Provide a percentage discount code for x-number of purchases.

Well 40% isn't enough so closer to free is obviously going to be what you are after.

I give up, I was under the mistaken impression that "up to" wasn't a complicated word.

Voucher codes, nope. Have read of the Apple developer docs for example and you'll see why.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

Well 40% isn't enough so closer to free is obviously going to be what you are after.

Nowhere did I criticise the offer to new customers, or ask for it to be made free, as you keep repeating. My disappointment is that there's no additional discount for those of us that have already spent hundreds on Affinity products, and will now have to pay again to keep them updated. £90 may be nothing to you, but to some of us that's a lump of cash we can't suddenly make available.

I give up, I was under the mistaken impression that "up to" wasn't a complicated word.

No need to be rude.

This is so true. I was shocked to find out that there is no upgradable option from v1. I just bought the three software around September this year! I wish I knew their plan first hand so I wouldn't be in this nightmare. This is not acceptable honestly and it made me view Serif in a very different perspective. 

This is an unbelievably good deal --- you won't need to pay again until V3 - who knows what will be added FREE OF CHARGE between V2 and V3 --- Maybe some of the moaners should wander over to Adobe and sign their life's away --- I'm super happy --- Great work to all the Affinity team👍

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

1 hour ago, VectorVonDoom said:

Unfortunately that’s the nature of software, always has been and always will be. Companies don’t spend the resources on things people can no longer buy. Like I said people have had up to 5+ years of free upgrades, that never goes on forever as it’s not commercially viable.

Yes, 5 years of an unstable Publisher that still barely functions for my needs.  I sincerely hope V2 is better, otherwise I will not be purchasing their software again. 

Every time there's an update, there are more threads with complaints than celebration. Too bad.

Anyway, I'm thrilled with v2 :D

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

Some years ago I was purchasing Abobe CS Suite upgrades every two years at a cost of around 700GBP .. if you didn’t keep upgrading you had to purchase the latest suite at full price which was well over 1000GBP .. then Abobe decided to go the subscription root so the investment I had made over the years went down the drain. Affinity need revenue to keep developing their products and maybe it will not provide everything that folk want or need. But show me software that gives you the range of products that Affinity offer in their suite, at the price level they offer it . Buying the suite V2 you get all the products for a Windows Machine ; Mac and an iPad for Under 100GBP .. that’s a good deal, in anyone's book! Affinity have consistently tried to support creatives over the last couple of years. You can please some of the people some of the time but you can’t please all of the people all of the time. 

47 minutes ago, anuruddha said:

Once we upgrade we have only V2 license. 

No, you have both. They are separate applications, and you can keep both installed, and you can use V1 as long as you want.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

This is a valid point. Infact, I was a very very early adopter of all Affinity products and now I need to pay again, I am trying to remember if the license term was free updates only for v1 or ongoing upgrades also. I cannot recall but I was under the assumption its free upgrades forever for any version? Can anyone show me the original license terms from 2016 that says upgrades are valid ONLY for v1 products?

On that note, I agree there should of been an upgrade discount for existing users. All other software I own have an upgrade discount attached to them. I should not have to necessarily BUY the whole suite again from scratch.

I will hold off on the upgrade until further notice from Affinity staff.

15 minutes ago, mitchm said:

I will hold off on the upgrade until further notice from Affinity staff.

There is no additional upgrade discount. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4