You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Will V2 of the applications require internet to activate? (split)

• Staff
9 minutes ago, ATP said:

Will V2 of the applications require internet to activate? It is not clear from the webpage.

And thank you a lot for the Universal License system.

Hi! You'll need an internet connection at some point within the trial period to sign in to your Affinity ID or buy the In-App Purchase (depending on where you downloaded from) but after that, you never need to be online again.

Just now, MattP said:

Hi! You'll need an internet connection at some point within the trial period to sign in to your Affinity ID or buy the In-App Purchase (depending on where you downloaded from) but after that, you never need to be online again.

I knew that account thing you integrated in V1 would impact the applications negatively at some point, sad. Otherwise the update has some nice improvements. Great to see support for JPEG XL.

• Staff
4 minutes ago, ATP said:

I knew that account thing you integrated in V1 would impact the applications negatively at some point, sad. Otherwise the update has some nice improvements. Great to see support for JPEG XL.

Okay, but the apps are distributed as a free download that starts a trial. At some point the trial will run out unless you decide to buy. You either buy through an App Store, or from us directly. That's the only 'online' requirement going on here. It's exactly the same as before, but you make the purchase 'after-the-fact'? Is it not?

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Okay, but the apps are distributed as a free download that starts a trial. At some point the trial will run out unless you decide to buy. You either buy through an App Store, or from us directly. That's the only 'online' requirement going on here. It's exactly the same as before, but you make the purchase 'after-the-fact'? Is it not?

So I'll be able to install the program and activate it in 15 years if you close down? That's just important for me. I avoid using software that might become unusable in the future, and it was one of the reasons I chose Affinity a few years ago.

• Staff

@ATP

This question has been split from the marketing announcement as that thread has been locked as too many people were asking unrelated questions

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I'm still trying to figure out a couple of things.

• Is online activation just for the first time I use v2 and after that is okay or...
    1. If I go offline, does it jump back to trial mode?
    2. If I'm working on both my PC and laptop, will I be kicked out of the other one, or is this simply for first time use.

There seems to be a lot about activation, but not much on day to day use after that.

7 hours ago, JNorton said:

Is online activation just for the first time I use v2

Yes.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

10 hours ago, JNorton said:

I'm still trying to figure out a couple of things.

• Is online activation just for the first time I use v2 and after that is okay or...
    1. If I go offline, does it jump back to trial mode?
    2. If I'm working on both my PC and laptop, will I be kicked out of the other one, or is this simply for first time use.

There seems to be a lot about activation, but not much on day to day use after that.

#1= No

#2= No.

Both of those actions are indicative of subscription based models. Serif uses a perpetual licensing model. Once you activate it, you're good to go, don't need to be online to use it.

Here's what Serif added that a lot of people requested, Cross-platform licensing. If you purchase the Universal License, you can install, use the Affinity Apps, on Windows, Mac and iPads. So there's 3 apps (Photo, Designer, & Publisher). Stop and think just how many that really is.. ;)

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Thank you both - it is funny, I was already pretty sure I'd buy it during the sale (although we all know it'll be as cheap or cheaper at some point down the line, but I wanted to thank them for not going the Adobe route - voting with the wallet and all that).

Oddly, it being available on all devices tipped me over to buying this morning, what's daft is I don't have a mac and probably never will :)

Anyway, thanks again for the replies, I guess the reason they didn't spell it out as I'd understand it is that they didn't need to.