You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't select nodes trough window

Herojas93

There's a Windows thread on the same topic but with more detail

I can't duplicate the problem with v2 Mac on new or old files in Publisher or Designer, it just works fine for me so I don't know why it's not working for you.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

14 minutes ago, Herojas93 said:

I think only happens with documents previously created in AP V1.

If you see my video just pasting the same shape from document V1 in a new document created in AP V2 works fine.

I tried it with a Publisher v1 document and couldn't duplicate the problem. There's got to be some other condition beyond just being a v1 doc. Could you share a sample file?

Thanks

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

4 hours ago, Herojas93 said:

If you see my video just pasting the same shape from document V1 in a new document created in AP V2 works fine.

I tried copy/pasting a curve from an old AP V1 file into a newly created V2 file, and I can indeed confirm this does work.

...However, I have tons of V1 publisher files with MANY curve objects that constantly need editing, so to me Affinity 2 is unusable in its current form.

By the way: Manually selecting multiple notes holding shift does still work, but again, isn't optimal if you want to quickly adjust many nodes.

4 hours ago, MikeTO said:

I tried it with a Publisher v1 document and couldn't duplicate the problem. There's got to be some other condition beyond just being a v1 doc. Could you share a sample file?

I just tried creating a file in Publisher V1, and then opening it with V2 to see if I could select nodes.

The answer is yes, I could box-select multiple nodes without problem. So indeed, it seems there is more going on than just the file being created using V1.

This still desparately needs fixing though; this would mean V2 basically isn't compabitle with V1 files for any vector artist, UI artist, Icon artist...

2 minutes ago, Rinyuu said:

I just tried creating a file in Publisher V1, and then opening it with V2 to see if I could select nodes.

The answer is yes, I could box-select multiple nodes without problem. So indeed, it seems there is more going on than just the file being created using V1.

This still desparately needs fixing though; this would mean V2 basically isn't compabitle with V1 files for any vector artist, UI artist, Icon artist...

I still can't duplicate with any of my files. I believe you, I think there's somebody else who has reported this problem, too, but hopefully one of you can share a test file.

10 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

I still can't duplicate with any of my files. I believe you, I think there's somebody else who has reported this problem, too, but hopefully one of you can share a test file.

Ok this is very interesting... I tried getting a test file ready for you (by deleting some client's info haha), but deleting some of the pages seems to have fixed the selection issue. I undid everything to try again in my full file, but then it stops working again... So there's definitely something in there that keeps the selection from working...

I'll see if I can get you a file.

EDIT: So it only seems to be an issue on SOME pages. It works perfectly on some, and doesn't work at all on another page (publisher, so multi-page file)

6 minutes ago, Rinyuu said:

Ok this is very interesting... I tried getting a test file ready for you (by deleting some client's info haha), but deleting some of the pages seems to have fixed the selection issue. I undid everything to try again in my full file, but then it stops working again... So there's definitely something in there that keeps the selection from working...

I'll see if I can get you a file.

EDIT: So it only seems to be an issue on SOME pages. It works perfectly on some, and doesn't work at all on another page (publisher, so multi-page file)

That's actually good news that it's only some pages and some objects. The smaller you can make the test document the easier it will be to figure out.

So what I found is that it only works on whatever is page 1. The content of the page doesn't matter. I can box-select multiple nodes from any curve or SVG I have lying around that I throw into Page 1. I can literally rearrange my last page to the top so it becomes Page 1, and everything works for that page only.

I also noticed any page behind page 1 always has (x) behind it, which I haven't seen before. So from what I see now, it will only work on the page that is called "Page 1".

2022-11-09 23_11_42-Search.png

11 minutes ago, Rinyuu said:

I also noticed any page behind page 1 always has (x) behind it, which I haven't seen before. So from what I see now, it will only work on the page that is called "Page 1".

If you create a document that has pages numbered starting with page 1 then you won't see (#) after a page number. But if you start page numbering with anything but 1, or have some front matter such as i, ii, iii, then you'll see the (#). When you see "2 (5)" that means relative page 2, absolute page 5. But your document has page 1, 2 (1), 3(2) which I can't duplicate in a new Affinity document.

4 minutes ago, Rinyuu said:

Here's the file!

The page names seem to be fixed, but can only box-select nodes on whichever page is active as Page 1.

test.afpub

Great detective work! I can duplicate your problem now. Serif doesn't even need a test document, the steps to duplicate this bug are:

1. Create a new document with at least two pages
  2. On page 2, draw a quick path with a few nodes, it doesn't matter whether you draw straight lines or curves
  3. Select the Node tool and try to marquee select nodes
  4. Move the path to page 1. Now you can marquee select nodes

Hopefully they'll be able to fix this in an update in the near future.

I'm going to make it even more interesting:

This file is created in Publisher 2, and now it seems I can't box-select any nodes, not even on Page 1!

EDIT: However, it does work on the Master page... Which I guess is kind of the first page now, since in my previous file I didn't use a master. Deleting the master doesn't make Page1 work, though...

test2.afpub

I don't think it needed to get more interesting!

What is interesting is that I wrote:

1. Create a new document with at least two pages
  2. On page 2, draw a quick path with a few nodes, it doesn't matter whether you draw straight lines or curves
  3. Select the Node tool and try to marquee select nodes
  4. Move the path to page 1. Now you can marquee select nodes

And now I can't get that to work if there's a second page in the document. If I delete page 2 then I can select the nodes on page 1. 

Regardless, I think there's enough information here now for Serif to figure it out.

Cheers

11 hours ago, Miltrin said:

I have the same problem. There is no way to select multiple nodes by dragging the selector.

And now I can't edit the file in v.1 because it says: "The file includes features from a previous version of Affinity." previous?

Yeah, I tried this as well because my files are effectively broken in V2, but in getting that same error... Now I don't really have a way to edit my files... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks folks. Can confirm that this issue dragging to select multiple nodes exists for me as well in Publisher and Designer persona, on AP2 for macOS (MacBook Pro 2020, Intel i9). Moving the page to become 'page one' solved the problem for me, and as I work through this document I'm going to move each page I'm working on to the front of the document until I finish it. A minor inconvenience, and glad to see a workaround for the time being.