You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Uninstall Version 1 after install of Version 2 - Are plugins left in place?

I am using a Mac M1 mini (2020) Monterey 12.6.1

This may be dumb but I wanted to be double certain before I do anything. Version 2 is installed and I have pointed it to the Plugins folder in Library\Application Support\Affinity Photo\Plugins which is the same location as Version 1 pointed to and the plugins are working fine in Version 2.  

My question is if I now uninstall Version 1 will it affect the Plugins folder and cause me to have to reinstall plugins?

Apologies if this is a goofy question.

Thanks

40 minutes ago, MarvinR said:

My question is if I now uninstall Version 1 will it affect the Plugins folder and cause me to have to reinstall plugins?

Not a Mac user, but in your situation I would copy the Plugins into the folder that Photo 2 wanted you to put them in originally. Or into an entirely different folder not related to the application at all :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Whether you loose the v1 Plugins folder or not will depend on how you uninstall v1 Photo.
If you use a third party app to delete APv1, like for example AppCleaner (but not limited to just that app), then these types of app will go hunting for anything they can find connected to the original installation of APv1, like it’s Plugins folder and remove it.

If you delete just the v1 app itself manually from the Applications folder on the other hand, then all it’s supporting folders should remain as they are in the Affinity Photo folder as found in Application Support or Containers, depending on where you purchased the v1 Affinity apps from.
These folders could run to several GB in size depending on what you have added to the v1 apps in the past.
If you are planning on never using the v1apps ever again then much disk space could potentially be recovered by removing their supporting folders.

However I would strongly suggest not linking or pointing any of the v2 apps to content contained within any of the v1 installed support folders.
Keep the two versions resources totally separate!
And as Walt suggested copy over the v1 Photo Plugins content to the new v2 Photo Plugins folder if you need it.
In a few month when you are totally sure you are not needing the v1 apps then will be the time to completely uninstall them.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

@walt.farrell and @markw thank you both for your advice I do appreciate it very much.

EDIT: I copied the plugin files from the V1 Plugins folder to the V2 Plugins folder and everything worked like a charm. Again, great of you fellas to take the time to comment and give me the benefit of your guidance.

UPDATE: Ended up that after testing I had to uninstall/reinstall Topaz Labs Photo AI and copy the app to the Plugins folder for V2.  Finished testing the and everything worked fine.

Peace

Marvin

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2022 at 8:49 PM, MarvinR said:

@walt.farrell and @markw thank you both for your advice I do appreciate it very much.

EDIT: I copied the plugin files from the V1 Plugins folder to the V2 Plugins folder and everything worked like a charm. Again, great of you fellas to take the time to comment and give me the benefit of your guidance.

UPDATE: Ended up that after testing I had to uninstall/reinstall Topaz Labs Photo AI and copy the app to the Plugins folder for V2.  Finished testing the and everything worked fine.

Peace

Marvin

Hello, Marvin. Happy to know that you were able to uninstall and have your Affinity V2 working properly.

Just a question: WHERE do I find that folder with plugins (name and or directory) to paste them in the V2 folder?
Did you uninstall using a software or just threw away the application?

Thanks in advance!

@MaryOJ I am on a Mac and these are the Plugins folder locations and uninstall method that I used. 

If you are on a Mac the V1 Plugins folder is in the folder  Library/Application Support/Affinity Photo/Plugins  

and for V2 the folder is  Library/Application Support/Affinity Photo 2/Plugins

Beware if you do go in and start messing with the files in the Library folder it is possible to foul up your Mac so you may want to get an experienced friend to help you. I have only been using the Mac for about a year myself so I am very cautious.

Now by default the Library folder is a hidden folder on the Mac. To reveal it open Finder, select the folder on the left for your user name, on the main menu bar at the top of your screen and select View, and on the popup that is displayed you will see the option "Show Library Folder", just check the check box for Show Library Folder and the Library folder will appear in your user name folder.

I am on a Mac so I used the standard uninstall steps of dragging the app from the Applications folder in Finder to the Trash can.  

If you are on Windows I can't answer where the plugins are or what the uninstall steps should be.

I hope this information helps. 

Peace

Marvin

• 2 weeks later...

All looks very sensible. I think I will simply drag & trash the apps themselves: two were purchased via the app store one directly from Affinity and they may have different/additional library files. The V2 apps asked me if i wanted to port some plugins and I said Yes so I assume they're safe but one never knows...