You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash in Export persona

1 hour ago, Martin Savel said:

As the version 1, version 2 still have the same bug causing crashes when exporting slices in Export persona. Since version 1 worked afrer fresh restart of the app, version 2 crashes all the time...

Can you be a little more specific in terms of the circumstances by providing a little more information as per the forum suggestions...

1. Can you reproduce it consistently?
  2. Does it happen for a new document? If not can you upload a document that shows the problem?
  3. If you cannot provide a sample document then please give an accurate description of the problem for example it should include most of the following:
  •    What is your operating system version Monterey, Ventura etc)?
  •    Is hardware acceleration (in Preferences > Performance) ON or OFF ? (and have you tried the other setting?)
  •    Can you provide a recipe for creating the problem (step-by-step what you did).
  •    Can you upload a screen capture/video demonstrating the issue.
  •    Any unusual hardware (like tablets or external monitors or drives that may affect things) or relevant other applications like font managers or display managers.
  •    Did this same thing used to work and if so have you changed anything recently? (software or hardware)

In the meantime have you tried a Ctrl Startup of the app to reset to factory defaults?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Dude.. it's the SAME issue we are having in V1 since 2021, so how about just logging it and be done with it. It won't be fixed anyways, and I am here because I just encountered this with V2 aswell. It's well known crash reports are not read, and no dev is interested in what we say. We are sending in reports, logs etc.

IT'S ONGOING SINCE 2021! WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO DISCUSS ABOUT? I don't want to be rude, but with all those posts are you even reading the forums?? Because V1 page is FULL of threads regarding this issue. Just on the 1st page there are at least 3 threads complaining. 

It doesn't matter what OS, what chipset are you using, if you have some sort of cloud drive app, the app will crash. ALWAYS! until you force close the app 2-3x, after that, it will work until you restart your mac again. There is no workaround, no fix, nothing. And yes I am frustrated because we constantly report this, constantlyyyyy, and here it is, one and a half year later, same issue in V2.. I'm not asking for special features, I'm (we) asking to have a normal working save function. Nothing more. So that I may save without being insecure about the app crashing or not.

I'm not part of the Affinity Team so was just trying to be helpful but you've at least specified the issue is specific to a cloud drive which wasn't immediately obvious from @Martin Savel's post.

I'm sure someone in the Dev team will pick this thread up and reply...

No it won't. Sorry for lashing out, but I've been waiting for a fix since November of 2021. No fix came since then, not even in V2. And I was just about to press the purchase button LMAO, hoping they ditched V1 but V2 is finally out of beta stage. Well nope! V2 is still a buggy mess, and V1 bugs weren't ironed out at all, making V2 as anxios to use as V2. Mods can simply merge V1 and V2 forums, as they are one and the same.

Yesterday I was working on some price tags, 84 of them to be exact. And at around 50 tags, I wanted to save and go home from work, hitting cmd+s just to have the app crash on me with the NEW (well, 1 month old already) bug - can't save file, app will now close.. And it close on me, rendering my work obsolete.. Because I forgot NOT TO SAVE ON EXTERNAL SSD.. I have to work around lazy dev's ass, and save to my own ssd, and move to external ssd afterwards, because their lazy ass was busy fapping or whatever they did instead of fixing critical and basic software functions.

Export persona is compromised, save function is now also compromised. Great.

Update, in Affi Des 2 Export persona crashes only when you try to select another folder than the one which is opened is in save dialog window by default. In another words - it crashes when you try to select different location in finder dialog window. But it crashes constantly, all the time.  

8 minutes ago, Martin Savel said:

Update, in Affi Des 2 Export persona crashes only when you try to select another folder than the one which is opened is in save dialog window by default. In another words - it crashes when you try to select different location in finder dialog window. But it crashes constantly, all the time.

I'm not experiencing this at all and never have, assuming you are talking about changing folder location and folders on your HD rather than a cloud drive... If this is Cloud drive specific as @norbinw is referencing then that's a different issue clearly so please ignore...

Hang, do you have google drive installed? or dropbox? Install 1 of those, even if you are not saving to that location. You will get beachball in export persona. Happened to me a few minutes ago. Export persona - export - when selecting locations, instant beachball. Now the times it worked I never tried to select different folders as my default is desktop. I'm pretty sure it's just like V1. Force close 2-3x and it should be fine until you reboot Mac.

Other notes, the bleed bug is still here. Opening another thread in V2 also.. FFS!

20 hours ago, norbinw said:

Hang, do you have google drive installed? or dropbox? Install 1 of those, even if you are not saving to that location. You will get beachball in export persona. Happened to me a few minutes ago. Export persona - export - when selecting locations, instant beachball.

I've tested it with iCloud, Dropbox, a Network Server and my Hard Drive changing folders, changing drives and changing save locations in between and I've experienced zero issues at all in either V1 or V2. After spending a couple of hours trying numerous files, varying numbers of slices and saving in different locations I've failed to get any crashes or beachballs...

I've not seen your V1 forum thread re this issue, do you have a link to it, has it been logged as a bug?

• Staff
On 11/9/2022 at 4:49 PM, Martin Savel said:

Could you give us some details on your mac, which model/specs/OS?

If you wouldn't mind sharing the file to help help us isolate which feature may be causing this that would be very helpful.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/eZSeMhGszkrMDt2hpie6

Lee

• Staff

Relating to the other issues, do you have a cloud service syncing on your system?

We're aware of an issue in the export persona as others above have mentioned. 

Currently the only known workaround is to force close the app and not restart the system. Following a force close it should work, but after each mac restart the crash/freeze will happen.

I understand this isn't the greatest solution but we hope to find a fix for this as soon as we can.

Lee

My device is M2 MacBook Air, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16GB RAM and 90+ GB available space.

OneDrive and Google drive running all of the time.

When app crash, force close may not solve this problem.

Export persona > app freeze > force close and re-open AD file > export persona > freeze again…

All of afdesign file could be freeze probability, svg and psd are not sure.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, dayod4 said:

Mine hangs too whenever I try to export slices from the export persona (changing folder or not).

Happens every time, I will have to force quit Affinity Designer and start again.

Please the Affinity Team should fix this.

Yes for some reason they seem unable to. Doesn’t inspire me at all to invest in their V2 software at all (even if I can accept the shockingly dire icon redesign - who seriously was asking for this?)

I have kept my Mac running for weeks because this app is messed up.. I've got used to it by now. But in V2 it's random. 1-2 export, then random freeze. Force close doesn't help anymore. Also in V1 whenever the app stabilized with 2-3 force closes, I have lost my thumbnails for newly saved Affinity files. Whenever thumbnail got back for freshly saved file, I knew freeze is back. And so it was. But in V2 thumbnails don't disappear anymore, and like I said, random freeze. Let's see how long I can stand this.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I use Designer 6-7h / day, working on 4-5-6 even 10 different projects, all with multiple artboards, so I feel the struggle, because I export frequently.

On 11/9/2022 at 5:49 PM, Martin Savel said:

This is correct. It's 100% reproducible on the first export of the day, which is naturally when you need to switch folders.