You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Not able to start Affinity Photo 2 from DxO, XNViewMP, ART and Raw Therapee

pefunk

• Staff
2 minutes ago, Draig said:

I use DXO Photolab, FastRaw viewer, and OM Workspace. I find that all three transfer images to Affinity Photo via the route recommended.

C:\Users\(user name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPhoto2.exe

I hope this is useful.

Because of the way these windows shortcuts work, some will even work without the path, just use this in the path field.

AffinityPhoto2.exe

Draig, does this work for you?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

17 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

Thanks Walt. I created a bat file and I can now link to Faststone Viewer to v2 but the solution doesn't work for Photolab5 because it's looking for a *.exe.

basicly: Ignore that photolab is expecting an .exe, type the whole name of your .bat file (or copy -> paste the name of the .bat file) and click Open

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Because of the way these windows shortcuts work, some will even work without the path, just use this in the path field.

AffinityPhoto2.exe

This does not work with Faststone Image Viewer. If you do enter only this .exe file as an external program, then Faststone fails to do anything except close the Settings/Programs/Add configuration dialog. Apparently Faststone wants the complete path to the executable entered in that dialog. But if you do drill down in the folder view to that file and select it, then Faststone returns the error: "The file cannot be accessed by the system."

Perhaps someone can explain why. I'm on a Windows 10 Home local Administrator account with File Explorer set to view hidden files.

If you open a command prompt window and simply type AffinityPhoto2 then APhoto2 will launch because the full path to the executable is in the PATH environment variable. (Viewed by typing PATH at the command prompt or by drilling down through Settings/System/About/Advanced system settings/Advanced/Environment Variables.)

My gosh, I haven't played with these details since my DOS days more than 35 years ago. I never expected such knowledge would be enlightening in 2022. Great fun for an old retired guy, though. 

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

30 minutes ago, Granddaddy said:

This does not work with Faststone Image Viewer. If you do enter only this .exe file as an external program, then Faststone fails to do anything except close the Settings/Programs/Add configuration dialog. Apparently Faststone wants the complete path to the executable entered in that dialog. But if you do drill down in the folder view to that file and select it, then Faststone returns the error: "The file cannot be accessed by the system."

Perhaps someone can explain why. I'm on a Windows 10 Home local Administrator account with File Explorer set to view hidden files.

If you open a command prompt window and simply type AffinityPhoto2 then APhoto2 will launch because the full path to the executable is in the PATH environment variable. (Viewed by typing PATH at the command prompt or by drilling down through Settings/System/About/Advanced system settings/Advanced/Environment Variables.)

My gosh, I haven't played with these details since my DOS days more than 35 years ago. I never expected such knowledge would be enlightening in 2022. Great fun for an old retired guy, though. 

Issue with Faststone can be solved with my batch file. Sefif will soon be releasing a msi installed version (as Ver 1) to use instead of the app version.

APhoho2.bat

Yes, I do use a .bat file to launch APhoto2 from Faststone. I'm looking forward to Affinity's MSI installer.

In my post at
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/171600-no-exe-no-interest/&do=findComment&comment=989182

I mentioned some glitches to overcome when creating and saving the .bat file

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

1 minute ago, Granddaddy said:

Yes, I do use a .bat file to launch APhoto2 from Faststone. I'm looking forward to Affinity's MSI installer.

In my post at
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/171600-no-exe-no-interest/&do=findComment&comment=989182

I mentioned some glitches to overcome when creating and saving the .bat file

This is my batch file and it works good with Faststone. 

APhoho2.bat

On 11/14/2022 at 5:45 PM, Draig said:

I use DXO Photolab, FastRaw viewer, and OM Workspace. I find that all three transfer images to Affinity Photo via the route recommended.

C:\Users\(user name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPhoto2.exe

I hope this is useful.

Thanks. I'm afraid though this does not work for me on my Windows 10 PC. I have tried it (substituting my user name) in Adobe Bridge and am denied access permission. In DXO Photolab 5 I get a similar message. (I'm aware of the 'write a bat file' thread. This is simply to note that this particular file path does not transfer to AP v2 for everyone.)

3 minutes ago, 00maxx00 said:

I tried your bat. It works, but the "dos-like window" (sorry for my technical ignorance) doesn't close by itself.

Oh and Serif are going to release a msi installed version (same as Ver 1 installation) for those that do not like the app version install. Your external programs will work as normal so the bat file is just a workaround till then.

16 minutes ago, Dangerous said:

I could not get it to close so set it to run minimised and close when you exit Affinity.

Change
start /min cmd /c affinityphoto2.exe %1

exit

to
start affinityphoto2.exe %1

exit

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

10 minutes ago, David in Яuislip said:

Change
start /min cmd /c affinityphoto2.exe %1

exit

to
start affinityphoto2.exe %1

exit

I think it was "your" bat exactly the one I referred to.

They both solved the "call Affinity Photo trough other sw" problem, I just liked the idea of the black window remaining in the windows bottom bar.

Thanks both, by the way.

I find this whole situation ridiculous. I am not a programmer. I just want things to work. The way Serif has set up the install means that things don't work as they used to. I have no idea how to set up bat files etc. Going off V2 very quickly!!!!!

The straightforward way of finding the V2 .exe file doesn't work as the V2 exe is in an inaccessible folder. Rubbish.

3 hours ago, Mel_P said:

I find this whole situation ridiculous. I am not a programmer. I just want things to work. The way Serif has set up the install means that things don't work as they used to. I have no idea how to set up bat files etc. Going off V2 very quickly!!!!!

The straightforward way of finding the V2 .exe file doesn't work as the V2 exe is in an inaccessible folder. Rubbish.

Affinity programs work the same whichever install method is used but they chose to use the app install method. This stops 3rd party software calling it in the norman way. Serif have listened to complaints and responded by saying they will release a msi install (same install as Ver 1 and most programs) ASAP.

To set up a bat file it is a simple Notepad document containing these 2 lines

start /b affinityphoto2.exe %1
exit

and saved with the name Afphoto2.bat and using that instead of Afphoto.exe. The bat file is a workaround till the msi version is released.

31 minutes ago, Dangerous said:

Affinity programs work the same whichever install method is used but they chose to use the app install method. This stops 3rd party software calling it in the norman way. Serif have listened to complaints and responded by saying they will release a msi install (same install as Ver 1 and most programs) ASAP.

To set up a bat file it is a simple Notepad document containing these 2 lines

start /b affinityphoto2.exe %1
exit

and saved with the name Afphoto2.bat and using that instead of Afphoto.exe. The bat file is a workaround till the msi version is released.

Hello Dear Dangerous, Thanks for the information and with your help I will not need the exe file. I had forgotten that running a bat file was so easy (last time I remember having to do this was in days of BBC Model B computing!!!!).

Following your guidance above I can now transfer an edited file from lightroom to V2 Affinity. Thanks mightily!  Mel

On 11/11/2022 at 2:38 PM, 00maxx00 said:

Hi Ludger.

If you type "*" and press enter when you are in the folder with the .bat file, you remove the filter that shows only .exe files. Then you can select the .bat file.

It's the same with FastStone Image Viewer and DXO Photolab - and every other sw that works the same way.

Hi RedSnapper, if you use this method you can add the .BAT file for DXO Photolab & other applications that only allow an exe file.

Some programs (DxO, XNView, FastStone Imageviewer) require an exe file to be able to call other programs.
I remembered AutoIT and quickly created executables for the Affinity V2 products.
I could offer the executable files, but these would probably not be credible from a security perspective.
So here is the AutoIt source code:

$sParameter = ""
$i = 1
While $i <= $CmdLine[0]
   $sParameter = $sParameter&' "'&$CmdLine[$i]&'"'
   $i = $i + 1
WEnd
$sRun = "AffinityPhoto2.exe " & $sParameter
Run($sRun)

As you can see, the call parameters are passed. This works great on my system. (I'm not a professional programmer, so the source code might not be very pretty ;)

Edited by Arakel
Source code modified so that paths with spaces also work.