You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Not able to start Affinity Photo 2 from DxO, XNViewMP, ART and Raw Therapee

pefunk

3 minutes ago, cybertec69 said:

People don't have time for this hack nonsense. This is the worst software launch I have ever been a part of. Heck unless you pin the software to your taskbar when it initially launches after installation you will not be able to find it again on your system, unless you have unlimited time to waste looking for it, and that is besides the batch file nonsense you have to go through to make it work with third party software, which should not take you longer than ten seconds. I use Affinity 1 with no such issues, so yes it's the Affinity 2 software and how it was implemented.

cry me a river 😱😭

Just now, LuNik700 said:

Hallo Wolfgang_AP,
ich habe es jetzt noch einmal komplett durchgespielt, die Installations-Datei in ein beliebiges Verzeichnis zu entpacken. Das scheint zu funktionieren!!!

Also: Ich habe auf Laufwerk 😄 einen Ordner PortableApps ... dort habe ich ein Verzeichnis AffinityPhoto2 angelegt und dorthinein die Installationsdatei affinity-photo-2.0.0.msix kopiert. Diese habe ich dann dort per 7zip entpackt. Danach findet man dort ein Unterverzeichnis App und dort eine ausführbare Datei photo.exe.

Diese kannst Du starten oder Dir darauf eine Verknüpfung erstellen oder was auch immer Du brauchst. Die "normale" Installation von Photo 2 habe ich entfernt.

Bisher schein das gut zu funktionieren.

Gruß
Ludger

Hallo Ludger,

so etwas hatte ich auch schon überlegt. Es ist einfach dumm, wenn Affinity in einen "geschützen" Bereich hineininstalliert, wo der User "aus guten Gründen" keinen Zugriff hat. Schließlich ist AP2 keine Microsoft-App.

Na ja, jetzt kann ich raw-files in DxO PL 'entwickeln' und dann z.B. als 16bit TIFF nach AP2 schicken ... wurde auch Zeit. :)

Wolfgang

Screen Shot 11-11-22 at 11.27 AM.PNG

Hallo Wolfgang,

ich habe die Windows-Apps bislang immer erfolgreich gemieden ...
Ich hatte mit der Installation als App zunächst auch so meine Zeit gebraucht, um überhaupt einen Link auf dem Desktop anzulegen. Danach war der Workaround mit dem Batch-Starter ein erster Schritt, um Photo 2 aus anderen Applikationen heraus aufzurufen.

Die Lösung mit dem Entpacken in ein beliebiges Verzeichnis, ist für mich allerdings fast ideal:
* ich kann selbst bestimmen, wo die Software liegt
* der Aufruf aus anderen Programmen ist problemlos
* ich brauche keine Starter-Batch
* ich kann einfach eine Verknüpfung erstellen

Ich hoffe es stellen sich nicht doch noch Defizite beim diesem Ansatz heraus ... Nichtsdestotrotz sollte Serif natürlich was ändern ... aber ob da was passiert?!?!?

Gruß
Ludger

Edited by LuNik700

17 minutes ago, LuNik700 said:

Hallo Wolfgang_AP,
ich habe es jetzt noch einmal komplett durchgespielt, die Installations-Datei in ein beliebiges Verzeichnis zu entpacken. Das scheint zu funktionieren!!!

Also: Ich habe auf Laufwerk C einen Ordner PortableApps ... dort habe ich ein Verzeichnis AffinityPhoto2 angelegt und dorthinein die Installationsdatei affinity-photo-2.0.0.msix kopiert. Diese habe ich dann dort per 7zip entpackt. Danach findet man dort ein Unterverzeichnis App und dort eine ausführbare Datei photo.exe.

Diese kannst Du starten oder Dir darauf eine Verknüpfung erstellen oder was auch immer Du brauchst. Die "normale" Installation von Photo 2 in Windows Apps-Verzeichnis habe ich deinstalliert (PC-Einstellungen|Apps).

Bisher schein das gut zu funktionieren.

Gruß
Ludger

Die Frage ist ob das mit dieser Lösung auch mit zukünftigen Updates funktioniert

5 minutes ago, Aktive Pupille said:

Die Frage ist ob das mit dieser Lösung auch mit zukünftigen Updates funktioniert

vllt. machen wir auf Englisch weiter, das wird von mehr Leuten verstanden ...

Up to now the approach of just unzipping the *.msix installer to a directory of my choise works fine!!!

I agree to you Aktive Pupille and doubt as well that a future automatic update will work. But that is acceptable for me ... To extract a *.msix to a folder only takes a short time. 

Best regards
Ludger

Edited by LuNik700

7 minutes ago, LuNik700 said:

Hallo Wolfgang,

ich habe die Windows-Apps bislang immer erfolgreich gemieden ...
Ich hatte mit der Installation als App zunächst auch so meine Zeit gebraucht, um überhaupt einen Link auf dem Desktop anzulegen. Danach war der Workaround mit dem Batch-Starter ein erster Schritt, um Photo 2 aus anderen Applikationen heraus aufzurufen.

Die Lösung mit dem Entpacken in ein beliebiges Verzeichnis, ist für mich allerdings fast ideal:
* ich kann selbst bestimmen, wo die Software liegt
* der Aufruf aus anderen Programmen ist problemlos
* ich brauche keine Starter-Batch
* ich kann einfach eine Verknüpfung erstellen

Ich hoffe es stellen sich nicht doch noch Defizite beim diesem Ansatz heraus ... Nichtsdestotrotz sollte Serif natürlich was ändern ... aber ob da was passiert?!?!?

Gruß
Ludger

The solution with the *.bat file reminded me to DOS ...

Over time I've seen / done a lot of things, but to install AP2 by default into a 'save' folder / aera, where users have no access to, is plain silly !!

1 hour ago, cybertec69 said:

As I said in my posts. No one has time for this hack nonsense. And I don't have time for your childish responses.

Serif surely has to fix these problem, but the .bat file is a very simple and effective solution. with the time it took you to write all your complaints you would have already solved the problem and be using ap2.

Edited by 00maxx00

39 minutes ago, 00maxx00 said:

Serif surely has to fix these problem, but the .bat file is a very simple and effective solution. with the time it took you to write all your complaints you would have already solved the problem and be using ap2.

Reading comprehension is essential and not your strength. 

I and many others did not buy this software to do bat file hack nonsense for it to work as it should out of the box. 

No one buys a car and then is told for the reverse gears to work, you need to get out of the car and do ten jumping jacks. 

Affinity photo 1 works as it should, there is no reason why Affinity photo 2 should not work the same way. No need to bat or rat file nonsense on the end users part. 

This could be justified if this software was designed and developed by someone in their spare time in their basement and given out for a few dollars for people to use under their own discretion. But this is not the case. 

This should have been on top of their checklist before launching this crippled software. 

At least on serifs part they could upload a video to walk people through the bat rat hack process, but I don't think this would happen, do you know why, because no one would purchase the software if they saw that. 

2 hours ago, cybertec69 said:

As I said in my posts. No one has time for this hack nonsense. And I don't have time for your childish responses.

You post too much about your poor situation that's why you don't have enough time. It takes a few seconds to make it work. Life must be hard on you !

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

34 minutes ago, cybertec69 said:

Reading comprehension is essential and not your strength. 

I and many others did not buy this software to do bat file hack nonsense for it to work as it should out of the box. 

No one buys a car and then is told for the reverse gears to work, you need to get out of the car and do ten jumping jacks. 

Affinity photo 1 works as it should, there is no reason why Affinity photo 2 should not work the same way. No need to bat or rat file nonsense on the end users part. 

This could be justified if this software was designed and developed by someone in their spare time in their basement and given out for a few dollars for people to use under their own discretion. But this is not the case. 

This should have been on top of their checklist before launching this crippled software. 

At least on serifs part they could upload a video to walk people through the bat rat hack process, but I don't think this would happen, do you know why, because no one would purchase the software if they saw that. 

I already wrote this problem (the export from other softwares) should be addressed by Serif. Apart from it, ap2 works fine.

you're making it just too tragical about this single problem and refuse to spend 3 seconds to create this .bat and solve it, while waiting for the official solution.

and please, stop calling "hack" this procedure. you have to create a .txt file, copy 2 lines of text in it and renaming it to .bat.

Edited by 00maxx00

7 minutes ago, 00maxx00 said:

I already wrote this problem (the export from other softwares) should be addressed by Serif. Apart from it, ap2 works fine.

you're making it just too tragical about this single problem and refuse to spend 3 seconds to create this .bat and solve it.

What part of I did not purchase this software to do batch files to make it work as it should. This software should not have been released before they made sure it would work just like Affinity 1 does. Do you think everyone that uses this software knows about bat or rat file nonsense. This software should be in your programs folder "which it is NOT" just like all the rest of the software that you install on your computer. I know what happened, they succumbed to Microsoft's "this is where W11 and future iterations of the OS are heading" you will own nothing "software" and you will be happy nonsense.

Read my post in this thread, with video links attached.

1 minute ago, 00maxx00 said:

you're just a crybaby, interested in whining and not in solving the problem.

Uninstall the sw and ask for a refund. that's easy enough?

Not a crybaby, how old are you kid. I suggest you read all my posts before responding with childish nonsense. If you are going to quote me I will respond.

5 minutes ago, cybertec69 said:

Not a crybaby, how old are you kid. I suggest you read all my posts before responding with childish nonsense. If you are going to quote me I will respond.

C'mon @cybertec69 make a man of yourself, stop crying, blow your nose, take a deep breath and ... write your batch file.

Or just stop posting, ask for a refund, sign up with Adobe and have a nice day.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

18 minutes ago, AlainP said:

C'mon @cybertec69 make a man of yourself, stop crying, blow your nose, take a deep breath and ... write your batch file.

Or just stop posting, ask for a refund, sign up with Adobe and have a nice day.

Stop wasting my time. You can do your batch file nonsense. I paid for software that is functional out of the box, as have thousands of other people. 

Can you tell me why this software is nowhere to be found in your programs folder. Can you tell us why that is. I know why, but I will wait to see what your take is on that. 

Can you also tell me why you are not given the option to install the software in a different drive besides the drive where the OS is stored. Your are given that option with Affinity 1, dxophotolab, DaVinci Resolve and pretty much all other software. Your main drive might be almost full or have just enough space for the bloated OS. Or you might want to install it to a portable external drive, where you can just plug it in to your portable laptop and be able to use it, without takin up space on that pc's main hard drive. 

In win 11 ver. 22H2 the default location of the program files is "C: \ Program Files \ WindowsApps \ SerifEuropeLtd.Affinity..."
The given forum location is also correct https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/167828-accessing-affinity-v2-apps-from-other-apps/
Only these files are 0B and they are probably some links to the original files in "Program Files"

If for some reason the location mentioned on the forum does not work, I recommend trying the one in "C: \ Program Files \ WindowsApps \"
Access to the "WindowsApps" folder is blocked in Windows Explorer, but can be accessed from other programs.
Just open a regular notepad and choose File / Open or Save As to view the exe location path in the "WindowsApps" directory.
It worked for me, maybe it will also help others.

Such problems are not uncommon and they happen in much more expensive applications. Developers are not always able to predict possible hardware and software configurations. The mere transfer of the "Users" directory from the C drive to a larger drive one may already generate problems in various applications.

• Staff

@cybertec69 sorry for the way others are behaving here.

To others here: STOP these personal attacks on @cybertec69 help or say nothing.

To all forum members here are the forum guidelines, please note the brief introduction section

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi Patrick,
could you please clearify whether the approach of just extracting the affinity-photo-2.0.0.msix to a folder of choice and after that just running photo.exe in the App subfolder is a valid solution in you eyes??? Are the any drawbacks doing so?

In my option the solution with the batch starter is more complicated for people who are not so familiar with it and some application (like DXO Photo Lab) don't allow bat-files to be selected out of the box for exporting...

Best regards
Ludger

Edited by LuNik700