You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Not able to start Affinity Photo 2 from DxO, XNViewMP, ART and Raw Therapee

pefunk

I don't see any of the new Affinity2 software in my Program files folder in W10 "screenshots below", I only see the Affinity1 folder with the Affinity application which I point DXOPhotolab "export to application" to to export the file as a TIFF to Affinity, this has been working for me for five years now. How come the Affinity2 software is nowhere to be found in my programs folder. As you can see they are installed and pined to my taskbar.

What's with this batch nonsense.

Screenshot (33).png

Screenshot (34).png

Screenshot (35).png

2 hours ago, BPMH said:

DXO is not that helpful; only allows .exe.

That's not quite true, the open screen only shows exe files and there is no drop down to select all files like some other programs have but if you tpe

*<enter> into the filename box then your bat file will appear and Photolab will accept it

More info here

if that's not clear, good luck

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

24 minutes ago, cybertec69 said:

It stinks.

Yes, I think it's appalling, your 'stinks' is much more polite than my phrase......which would have got me banned

Still, it's saved me the cost of the upgrade, when the trial expires that's me finished with Serif

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

6 minutes ago, David in Яuislip said:

Yes, I think it's appalling, your 'stinks' is much more polite than my phrase......which would have got me banned

Still, it's saved me the cost of the upgrade, when the trial expires that's me finished with Serif

I have 14 days for a refund. I have never seen anything like this with any software. This glaring issue needs to be addressed asap. 

48 minutes ago, pefunk said:

The workaround that Hans De Smaele discribed in detail here, works for me perfectly with DxO Photo Lab 6.

This is absurd to have to go through this to have something working as it should out of the gate. Affinity photo 1 never had this issue. And by the way this hack does not work, unless I am doing something wrong. My question is where the hell is the application hiding in windows.

I point DXO to the location of the file and this is what I get. The third image is what it looks like when Affinity Photo 1 is selected, this is what it would look like when I point DXO in the export to program file menu. And the Affinity Photo2 and the rest of the Affinity 2 apps are installed as you can see in my systems folders window.

Screenshot (36).png

Screenshot (37).png

Screenshot (38).png

Screenshot (39).png

I tried moving the Affinity Photo 2 application to a different drive, from C to D, the 167 MB file in drive C turned into a 1.24 GB file in drive D, a bit larger than Affinity 1, if they did this to save on storage space not only for the end user but for the upload servers, this is absurd. The problem is that windows "the developer" has locked any access to the file when you move the file to a different drive.  Heck even in the initial main drive location where the program is installed you have no access to the program folder. This is some really shady crap. I knew that W11 is shady "tracking nonsense" and the reason why I have not installed it, but this nonsense by Serif is on another level.

1123195967_Screenshot(40).thumb.png.dcbbde8ae824fc0a777f6159851659ff.png207791149_Screenshot(41).thumb.png.2a5e9540097782836b909da0c314a66f.png

8 hours ago, cybertec69 said:

The problem is that windows "the developer" has locked any access to the file when you move the file to a different drive.  Heck even in the initial main drive location where the program is installed you have no access to the program folder. This is some really shady crap.

You can directly access the program directory. Go to Task Manager, expand the "Affinity [Photo/Designer/Publisher] 2" group in Processes -> Apps, then right-click the child entry and press "Open file location".

Alternatively, launch an administrator Command Prompt window, go to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\, find the Affinity program you're looking for, then copy-paste the folder path (including the program's package folder name) into Explorer. Executables are located under the "App" folder.

image.png.dfb4eccbdbe8d58766ef56a00a69d018.png

The folder's name is likely to change with the version of the Affinity program that has been installed so don't keep it as a permanent shortcut. That's the reason the execution alias exists - it lets you have a consistent way to launch the program without worrying about where it's actually located.

There's a little workaround in installing V2 anyone can try.

You'll need a msix file and a free packer/unpacker like 7ZIP

Install 7ZIP and download msix anywhere, right clik on it and instruct 7ZIP from a dropped menu to unpack it in a folder (it can be the deafult name as the msix file)
After unpacking rename new map as you wish (Photo2) and move it wherever you wont, lets say to a previously prepared "C:\Program Files\Affinity"\  map

Open "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo2\App" map - there is Photo.exe , start it, register it, make shortcut, connect with your 3rd party app...

that's all - it works but can't be sure is everything ok, something missing or not , but it's easy to try and easy to delete

2 hours ago, AcrobaticMelon said:

You can directly access the program directory. Go to Task Manager, expand the "Affinity [Photo/Designer/Publisher] 2" group in Processes -> Apps, then right-click the child entry and press "Open file location".

Alternatively, launch an administrator Command Prompt window, go to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\, find the Affinity program you're looking for, then copy-paste the folder path (including the program's package folder name) into Explorer. Executables are located under the "App" folder.

image.png.dfb4eccbdbe8d58766ef56a00a69d018.png

The folder's name is likely to change with the version of the Affinity program that has been installed so don't keep it as a permanent shortcut. That's the reason the execution alias exists - it lets you have a consistent way to launch the program without worrying about where it's actually located.

This is not acceptable. I don't have time for this hack nonsense. The file should be in my programs folder as Affinity 1 is, dxophotolab is, DaVinci Resolve is, and every other software that I have downloaded to my PC. 

This should have been one of their main check list items before launching the software to the masses, making sure that the end user is able to use it out of the box with software like LR and dxophotolab, just like with Affinity Photo 1.

Hi krbo,

your approach works ... msi and msix-files are ordinary archives. You don't even have to rename those files to *.zip to unzip them when you use 7zip.
After installing Photo2 the "regular" way as an app and registering it and then in addition unpacking the msix to a folder and executing photo.exe, I'm prompted to register for a second time. I'm in doubt what that effects when I do so???!??!

I also doubt that the update process will work automaticly when proceeding this way. But that's a minor thing.

So far the workaround with a Batch-Starter works for me as a workaround as well. Even DXO now accepts a *.bat starter for exporting to Photo 2 ... 

But what a crap ... until now I prefered Affinity Photo so much over Photoshop and don't want to switch back. Hope the people at Serif learn their lesson from this discussion!

Cheers
Ludger

Edited by LuNik700

13 hours ago, cybertec69 said:

This is absurd to have to go through this to have something working as it should out of the gate. Affinity photo 1 never had this issue. And by the way this hack does not work, unless I am doing something wrong. My question is where the hell is the application hiding in windows.

I point DXO to the location of the file and this is what I get. The third image is what it looks like when Affinity Photo 1 is selected, this is what it would look like when I point DXO in the export to program file menu. And the Affinity Photo2 and the rest of the Affinity 2 apps are installed as you can see in my systems folders window.

Screenshot (37).png

The Problem here seams to be, that you have saved the File as a Text File (.txt = Text Document), just save it under the File Type All Files (*.*) as NAME.bat.

alternative = enable that you can see the file extentions in windows and remove .txt from that file (it should now be Name.bat.txt).

Then just copy the whole filename to the clipboard, choose in photolab "open in application" -> choose the right location where you have saved your .bat-File and copy the Name into the Filed -> Open

Firestarter0.JPG

Firestarter.JPG

So basicly you have to blame microsoft for this issue and not serif

alternativ = use the V.1 Versions ;-)

7 minutes ago, Aktive Pupille said:

The Problem here seams to be, that you have saved the File as a Text File (.txt = Text)Document), just save it under the File Type All Files (*.*) as NAME.bat.

alternative you have to enable to see the file extentions in windows and remove .txt from that file.

Then just copy the whole filename and move in photolab to the right location where you have saved your .bat-File and copy the Name into the Filed

Firestarter0.JPG

Firestarter.JPG

As I said in my previous posts. I don't have time for this hack nonsense. Affinity 2 should be in my programs folder, as Affinity 1 is and all my other software that was downloaded to my PC. There is no sugar coating this botched release. 

19 hours ago, Hans De Smaele said:

Hi Draig (and others).

These are the steps to implement Walt's workaround (on a Microsoft Windows OS):

1. Open notepad

2 Typ in the text below:

start /b affinityphoto2.exe %1
exit

3. Save the notepad file somewhere (e.g. c:\affinityworkarounds\APhoto2.bat)

4. Now, from within your applications (e.g. DXO Photolab) point to that file as the file to open AffinityPhoto2.

5. This should work now !

6. Pay a beer to Walt for finding the workaround

7. Tell Serif Affinity team they have to solve this cra....

Have a nice day !

Hello support,

I tried this method, the bat-file opens AP2, but I can NOT export from DxO Photolab as an executable file is needed, which I don't have access to !!

image.png.47c2457afa85dad067562edf3adbcb93.png

Please solve that problem a soon as possible !

Wolfgang

(Win 10 Pro 22H2)

Edited by Wolfgang_AP

As I said in my previous posts. I don't have time for this hack nonsense. Affinity 2 should be in my programs folder, as Affinity 1 is and all my other software that was downloaded to my PC. There is no sugar coating this botched release. 

ok, you don`t have time to just make it right but you have time to post that you don`t have time ;-)
i now have wasted my time to help you so good luck

10 minutes ago, Wolfgang_AP said:

Hello support,

I tried this method, the bat-file opens AP2, but I can NOT export from DxO Photolab as an executable file is needed, which I don't have access to !!

Wolfgang

(Win 10 Pro 22H2)

Ignoriere einfach das hier nur .exe auswählbar ist, Kopiere (oder Tippe) hier einfach den kompletten Namen der .bat-Datei welche du erzeugt hast in das Feld Dateiname und klicke dann auf öffnen.

Firestarter.JPG

1 minute ago, Aktive Pupille said:

ok, you don`t have time to just make it right but you have time to post that you don`t have time ;-)

Excuse me, I don't waste anybodies time.
I didn't save it as *.txt, but as *.bat, exactly like it was described.

Affinity creates a problem and you are telling me something about MS ???

17 minutes ago, Wolfgang_AP said:

Hello support,

Wolfgang

(Win 10 Pro 22H2)

type "*" where you have to tyype the name of the file, then press enter.

Now you can see (and select) the .bat file.

This works also with FastStone ImageViewer, which wants like DXO only .exe files

Edited by 00maxx00

8 minutes ago, Aktive Pupille said:

Kopiere (oder Tippe) hier einfach den kompletten Namen der .bat-Datei welche du erzeugt hast in das Feld Dateiname und klicke dann auf öffnen.

Danke, das hat funktioniert --> APhoto2.bat

Ich hatte die bat-Datei schon als *.exe umbenannt -- aber das klappt natürlich nicht.

Edited by Wolfgang_AP

6 minutes ago, Aktive Pupille said:

3 minutes ago, Wolfgang_AP said:

Excuse me, I don't waste anybodies time.
I didn't save it as *.txt, but as *.bat, exactly like it was described.

Affinity creates a problem and you are telling me something about MS ???

Mein Antwort bezog sich auf den Post von cybertec69.

Hallo Wolfgang_AP,
ich habe es jetzt noch einmal komplett durchgespielt, die Installations-Datei in ein beliebiges Verzeichnis zu entpacken. Das scheint zu funktionieren!!!

Also: Ich habe auf Laufwerk C einen Ordner PortableApps ... dort habe ich ein Verzeichnis AffinityPhoto2 angelegt und dorthinein die Installationsdatei affinity-photo-2.0.0.msix kopiert. Diese habe ich dann dort per 7zip entpackt. Danach findet man dort ein Unterverzeichnis App und dort eine ausführbare Datei photo.exe.

Diese kannst Du starten oder Dir darauf eine Verknüpfung erstellen oder was auch immer Du brauchst. Die "normale" Installation von Photo 2 in Windows Apps-Verzeichnis habe ich deinstalliert (PC-Einstellungen|Apps).

Bisher schein das gut zu funktionieren.

Gruß
Ludger

Edited by LuNik700

7 minutes ago, Aktive Pupille said:

Mein Antwort bezog sich auf den Post von cybertec69.

People don't have time for this hack nonsense. This is the worst software launch I have ever been a part of. Heck unless you pin the software to your taskbar when it initially launches after installation you will not be able to find it again on your system, unless you have unlimited time to waste looking for it, and that is besides the batch file nonsense you have to go through to make it work with third party software, which should not take you longer than ten seconds. I use Affinity 1 with no such issues, so yes it's the Affinity 2 software and how it was implemented. And if you are going to quote me, quote me in English.