You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2 minutes ago, CWFII said:

Another: existing V1 users felt discriminated against based on the lack of a deflated V2 upgrade price for existing customers.

But they do get a reduced price. So what if new users also get the same deal? How is that discriminating against V1 users?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

They just seem to be upset that they are getting the same discount that first time buyers are getting.

That's a fair statement.

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

IOW, I think they would prefer that first time buyers get no discount.

At least one poster mentioned providing existing V1 users with a greater discount than new users. That's neither controversial nor unusual.

At least one poster mentioned providing existing V1 users with a greater discount than new users. That's neither controversial nor unusual.

True, but neither is it a universal policy across the industry. And of course companies that have gone the subscription only route are using a completely different upgrade policy.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

10 minutes ago, R C-R said:

But they do get a reduced price. So what if new users also get the same deal? How is that discriminating against V1 users?

Many users believe they should pay a lesser price to upgrade to a new version rather than pay for the new version outright. That's not controversial. Serif made a business decision that tries to toe the line between traditional upgrade and subscription mechanisms, confounding many V1 users, some of whom might perceive that as discrimination. I don't believe that to be the case, but understand the perspective.

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

True, but neither is it a universal policy across the industry. And of course companies that have gone the subscription only route are using a completely different upgrade policy.

Agree it is not universal and that subscription models are totally different and loathsome to many.

Serif's upgrade policy is clear: everyone, including prior version users, will pay full price for the major upgrade. That seems to be the issue with many voicing opinions here.

Serif's upgrade policy is clear: everyone, including prior version users, will pay full price for the major upgrade.

But no one has to pay full price if they buy while Serif offers the discount pricing. 

Affinity Photo 

4 minutes ago, CWFII said:

That does not change the fact there is no discounted upgrade path for existing users relative to new users.

Again, so what? The discount is the same for everyone who wants to take advantage of it. I do not understand why that should bother anyone.

Affinity Photo 

On 11/11/2022 at 6:13 PM, csadam said:

I just have one question, when Affinity releases the V3, will they do the same with the old users as now?

No. having learnt their lesson the price will go up so that the discount for current members will be the same as the normal discount price in £/$ and new users will get only 1/2 the discount. 
The old users get a "bigger discount" but pay the same as they would have done.
Serif get more money and no one can complain.

I have not seen so much self-entitled whining from people since I last looked at Facebook (is it still as bad?)

www.JAmedia.uk  and www.TamworthHeritage.org.uk
[Win 11  | AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

This reminds me similar stupidity, when people were outraged at game company because they thought game will be exclusive for their console but later was announced for PC as well. So somehow this was bad and they were outraged, wanted refund pre-orders.... Because others were about to get to play this game too and they wanted it just for themselves...

People are just weird species.

9 hours ago, CWFII said:

That does not change the fact there is no discounted upgrade path for existing users relative to new users.

When Serif first released APhoto I was offered a discounted price to buy it. I was certainly not an existing or loyal user at the time.

I took up their offer and have used the software ever since to do my work and make loads of money over the years.

Now they are offering me and new users 40% off for the next Version of their software.

That seems to me that Serif are rewarding their existing customers and allowing the next generation of users to get the same opportunities and earnings potential that I got many years ago

Why should new users not also be given the same opportunity I had, many years ago, to get the software at a discounted price?

If your sole argument is that you should have got a better discount than new users you are shooting yourself in the foot.

The bigger discount Serif offers to new users the more will purchase it and Serif can grow quicker and thus implement all the fixes and new features we all want

"Be careful what you wish for" and "Don't cut off your nose to smite your face" are two phrases that spring to mind

If you claim to be loyal customers then you should be supporting anything that helps Serif grow not whinging on like a 12 year old child that believes he should get better/bigger Christmas presents than his 10 year old brother because he was the first born.

Some people need to grow up and see the bigger picture

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@R C-R and @carl123

I  can only completely agree with both of you. When I bought the Affinity Suite years ago (I have two licences), I received a nice discount for one of them for which I am grateful. I find the hugh 40% discount for everybody very generous and fair from Serif.

Am I more important with my 2 licences than somebody with 1 licence? Definatelly not! When I look around on this community, I see people helping people voluntarily to a great extend, I see astonishing artwork created and shared by members here. That are the people who earn even a much greater discount than myself.

The discount is a true bargain for everybody. And above all, people receive new features and tools which makes their workflow easier and faster. Instead of whining, people should explore these new tools, see how much they can push them to the limits, start creating and earning money! That is the only way to go to let Affinity pays itself back.

Creativity is the answer to succes, not the discount you received. Even at full price, Affinity will pay itself back for me.

I want to close this subject by telling to people who feel disappointed because others receive the same discount:

"be happy and gratefull for the nice discount you receive and grant other people the same joy!".

Be happy and positive!

Chris

It is a very sad reflection on humanity when people are more concerned that some one else has got the same advanttage they have.  It does not diminish or affect the  discount you have it is just a whine that some one else has an equally good deal.  Be happy you got a good deal. No one else has got a better deal.  
Why whine that some one else is haveing good done to them?  It does not harm you.

7 minutes ago, Chills said:

It is a very sad reflection on humanity when people are more concerned that some one else has got the same advanttage they have.  It does not diminish or affect the  discount you have it is just a whine that some one else has an equally good deal.  Be happy you got a good deal. No one else has got a better deal.  
Why whine that some one else is haveing good done to them?  It does not harm you.

I would like to know how many of the wingers got Ver 1 on the half price offer when they weren't loyal customers!

Hello,
Maybe it sounds pretentious, arrogant, etc., but I also bought all three V1 products 2 years ago for a very attractive price. In the meantime, there have been many improvements within the V1. I am of the opinion that the price for V2 is totally justified, especially if you buy the universal licence with the discount, as I did. For the price I can work with Adobe for about 3 months and then that's it.
Uwe 

7 minutes ago, Dangerous said:

I would like to know how many of the wingers got Ver 1 on the half price offer when they weren't loyal customers!

Shhhh!
(It's not a fair to ask that, besides it was different then...  and we was helping Affinity by spreading the word.... and....   err....🙂 )

For the record I bought all three V1 NOT on a deal about a year ago and it was very good value.
I got  V2 on a discount Unversal license this week.  
Overall my payments to Serif have amounted to about 6 months Rental to Adobe.  So I am still way ahead
The payments to Serif will still amont to 6 months rental to Adobe in 5-8 years time when V3 arrives.
Nothing to complain about!

So, it's unfair that existing customers don't get a better deal than new customers?

On the basis that "loyal customers" should get an extra discount because they have been using Affinity v1 products for a while, would it not be equally unfair that people who have been Serif customers for much longer (say, twenty plus years) only get the same discount as them

I reckon that if someone only became a Serif customer when Affinity v1 was released, then people like me, who have been "loyal customers" since the early days of PagePlus etc should get a much bigger discount! – Heck, by that reasoning, by now Serif should be paying me to use Affinity v2, and giving me a free gift (with a cherry on top!) 😄

But, guess what, I've always had good deals and good service from Serif, and I have no problem with not being "thanked" for using products that I like and that I choose to continue to use!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

17 hours ago, R C-R said:
17 hours ago, CWFII said:

Again, so what? The discount is the same for everyone who wants to take advantage of it. I do not understand why that should bother anyone.

Approaches companies take with their customers do, in fact, make a difference to their customers for a variety of reasons that vary in importance from one customer to the next. This forum includes numerous takes, from pricing to development choices, that some users value more than others. 

That said, thanks for the civil discussion. I appreciate your perspective.

On 11/12/2022 at 9:07 PM, R C-R said:

They just seem to be upset that they are getting the same discount that first time buyers are getting. IOW, I think they would prefer that first time buyers get no discount.

No,' they're' annoyed that Affinity isn't doing what every other software company does and offering agreater loyalty discount for existing users, especially those who wasted their money just a few months ago, on a version that is now obsolete and will receive no more updates of any kind even if there's a security flaw.

Every software company gives a larger discount for existing users, except Affinity. It's standard.

You'll be annoyed too if they bring out v3 in 5 months time and your v2 is suddenly obsolete.

I completely wasted the money I spent a few months ago on v1. If I hadn't bought v1 then, I'd have the money to buy v2 now. By the time Christmas is over and I can save something, the price will be completely out of reach.

Being attacked by rich people for not being rich is also not improving the company's reputation.

1 hour ago, Archaeologist said:

No,' they're' annoyed that Affinity isn't doing what every other software company does and offering agreater loyalty discount for existing users, especially those who wasted their money just a few months ago, on a version that is now obsolete and will receive no more updates of any kind even if there's a security flaw.

Every software company gives a larger discount for existing users, except Affinity. It's standard.

You'll be annoyed too if they bring out v3 in 5 months time and your v2 is suddenly obsolete.

I completely wasted the money I spent a few months ago on v1. If I hadn't bought v1 then, I'd have the money to buy v2 now. By the time Christmas is over and I can save something, the price will be completely out of reach.

Being attacked by rich people for not being rich is also not improving the company's reputation.

Not "every software company" does what you suggest.  Many don't
You are not being attacked by "rich people"
You haven't wasted any money on V1 because V1 still works and does what you paid for. You haven't lost anything.

You got a good deal on V1, it still works and will continue to work.
It is better value than any other system out there.

The time before V1 and V2 is about 8 years.
Even if V3 comes out in 5 months V2 (like V1) will continue to work and NOT be obsolete. None of its functionality will cease.
Though V3 is liky to be at least 5 years out.  I bought V1 (without a discount) 11 months before V2 came out.

NOTE I was still using Adobe CS6 from 11 years ago (untill I bought Afinity V1 a year ago)  because I can't afford the Adobe subscription  service.

Serif periodically do discounts of 25% and 30% at least twice a year so you can get V2 later..  There is no rush as you are not using affinity in business.

Life is what it is and it isn't fair. However Affinity do a very good job of producing very good software at a very low price. They get in 99% right.

56 minutes ago, Archaeologist said:

I suspect that now with the activation via your serif store account that the capability will be there to offer existing users an upgrade discount in the future.

There will also be new features added to v2 as time goes on so v3 will not be in the near future.

I think that problem is different. It's not important what other people get (and how stupidly generous Serif, which does not have more money for salaries to hire more programmers, is - that initial sale seems to be much longer than any potential sales in the future), it's the fact that offer for previous owners is time limited, currently upgrade is not worth the price and we don't know what will be added in the future. (Did Serif really offer some other discounts in the past except the generous price drop during COVID pandemic in 2021?)

Of course other companies are much more greedy and also doesn't tell what they'll add, when and how much it will cost, but their approach is clear - new version each year, either as anti-consumer subscription or as new expensive license. Here some people were waiting not one or two years but much longer and while from such perspective purchasing upgrade can be even easier - they were using v1 so long that they should now support Serif once again regardless what they get, because in the past the've got so much for such small price - it's also a bit frustrating.

Perhaps because so many people are emotionally connected with company and really appreciated what Serif made for amateurs. Now, after all these years, it turned out that app development is extremely slow and... the future is not clear.

On 11/13/2022 at 2:19 PM, Chills said:

Exactly. Special snowflakes whine because they are treated equal.

Only thing that I totally get is if someone bought V1 in past ~three months now can be a bit bummed. I guess Serif to be totally fair, could offer for those customers refund for V1 if they're willing to upgrade. But even without this... it's still about $200 for full suite of semi-pro apps. Show me a better deal.

As a V1 user, I have no problem with the current price offerings, but I do not want to upgrade at the moment: to me V2 feels at best like V1.xx and beta at that; and I want an msi or exe install file.

So when the current discount ends, IMO Serif should give V1 users an upgrade path on the same terms. All this tosh about msix not allowing discounts is easily circumvented by selling msi or exe upgrades off their website.

13 minutes ago, henryg said:

As a V1 user, I have no problem with the current price offerings, but I do not want to upgrade at the moment: to me V2 feels at best like V1.xx and beta at that; and I want an msi or exe install file.

So when the current discount ends, IMO Serif should give V1 users an upgrade path on the same terms. All this tosh about msix not allowing discounts is easily circumvented by selling msi or exe upgrades off their website.

V2 will install and work alongside V1  so your argument fails.
Buy V2 now, install it but continue to use V1 untill you feel V2 is stable.

I am using V2 and it does not feel like a beta.
What makes you say it is a beta? Have you downloaded it and installed it?