You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

19 minutes ago, NBabout said:

If I had bought it for a long time like you, I would have nothing to object to, it would mean that I took full advantage of the software, but what annoys me is that I bought it 5 months ago and didn't use it at all

I bought AD & APub 6 months ago and hardly used it, and still bought the full package as soon as I could. I am an amateur who makes no money out of affinity.

I agree that the price is very cheap compared to other software on the market. 

I have now bought a universal licence before it becomes more expensive, because unfortunately I can't afford it then. I also agree that after years of use it is fair that you have to pay again. Other software I own charge every year for updates. 

2 hours ago, NBabout said:

Nobody asked for the upgrade to version V2 for free, but simply not to have the same discount as those who buy the software for the first time, and especially for people like me who have bought version V1 a few months ago.

48 minutes ago, NBabout said:

If I had bought it for a long time like you, I would have nothing to object to, it would mean that I took full advantage of the software, but what annoys me is that I bought it 5 months ago and didn't use it at all

Sorry, but your argumentation does not seem logical to me in any way.

So, as a long-time user, there’s nothing to complain. As a new user, there’s nothing to complain. But, oh, when you’re a short-time user – well, not even actually a “user”, merely an “owner” because you didn’t even use it after all – then it’s suddenly a crime! So what if somebody bought v1 5 months ago and worked with it, each and everyday, all day long? Well, I guess you could say he “took advantage” of the software. So basically, your opinion is that it’s Serif’s fault you bought a software you didn’t actually need.

I have bought Affinity Photo V1 for iPad two weeks ago. I'm still learning how to use it… ☹️.

Now that V2 is out, will I continue to invest time learning to use a software which is in maintenance mode ? I think I will immediately switch to the new version but I feel this situation quite unfair. For me, the money I put in V1 is realy lost, unlike people who use it for 6 months or more. Some other software publishers have in such cases what is called a « grace period » where you have the opportunity to buy the new version for the price difference if you own the previous version for less than one month (for instance).

@Clomir Pélagorne

Please write to affinityorders@serif.com and ask for a discount.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

10 minutes ago, Clomir Pélagorne said:

I have bought Affinity Photo V1 for iPad two weeks ago. I'm still learning how to use it… ☹️.

Now that V2 is out, will I continue to invest time learning to use a software which is in maintenance mode ? I think I will immediately switch to the new version but I feel this situation quite unfair. For me, the money I put in V1 is realy lost, unlike people who use it for 6 months or more. Some other software publishers have in such cases what is called a « grace period » where you have the opportunity to buy the new version for the price difference if you own the previous version for less than one month (for instance).

For weeks now people have been advising other not to buy just yet as Ver 2 was expected. Email Serif and explain, see if they will/can help but as you have already got and used (and could keep forever) it I'm not sure if they can/will help but they helped me 6 months ago with an issue and it all happened within the hour. They are a helpful company.

I don't really like the mentality about this situation. One user asked a totally legit question about upgrades. Then everything he got is personal attacks from multiple users.

But the worst is the victim-blaming of people who bought the software recently. Blame the user why he bought the software, really? Guys, this is insane. Do you think it is a good business practice to abandon all fresh users or make them to buy the software again if they want bugfixes?

Providing upgrade paths and incentives is standard in software industry. I don't understand why everyone pretends here that this is not the normal procedure for every paid software since more than 30 years...

It is not about the rate of discounts, but the appreciation of the existing users, or lack of it. It is clear, that Affinity's current procedure is against the norm.

I just have one question, when Affinity releases the V3, will they do the same with the old users as now?

15 minutes ago, csadam said:

I don't really like the mentality about this situation. One user asked a totally legit question about upgrades. Then everything he got is personal attacks from multiple users.

I agree with you, I felt just like that and I regret writing this post.

The reaction to Serif is getting silly.   Try dealing with Adobe  for $$$$$$$,    Affinity is a bargin and more than worth the price.   That the long term users of V1 didn't get any special discount over new users is irrelevant.  You got the use of the Affinity V1 SW and I assume that generated an income for you so you have a net benefit. 
Stop whinging.

I bought V1  just over a years ago and bought V2 yesterday.   I am still way ahead of the Adobe users and the Sw paid for itself in the last 12 months. 

Should the loyalty discount be graduated on how many years ago you bought V1?   Those who bought V1 a month ago get s different discount to those who bought V1 in 2016? 

Is the price you paid for V2 good value for you?  If so shut up.  It doesn’t matter what someone else paid.
As for those flouncing out saying they will never use Affinity again: That is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

www.JAmedia.uk  and www.TamworthHeritage.org.uk
[Win 11  | AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]

I bought Designer in October 2014, which translates to an investment of €0,0122/day over the lifetime until November 9th of this year.  Both Photo and Publisher I bought later with prices per day of €0,015 for Photo and €0,035 for Publisher. Paying the new price for all products may translate to higher amounts per day (because of higher price and maybe shorter lifespan) but it's still an almost negligible amount.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

15 hours ago, RNKLN said:

I bought Designer in October 2014, which translates to an investment of €0,0122/day over the lifetime until November 9th of this year.  Both Photo and Publisher I bought later with prices per day of €0,015 for Photo and €0,035 for Publisher. Paying the new price for all products may translate to higher amounts per day (because of higher price and maybe shorter lifespan) but it's still an almost negligible amount.

I bet that like me the Affinity software earned you more per day than it cost.

55 minutes ago, Chills said:

I bet that like me the Assinity software earned you more per day than it cost.

Actually, it doesn't, since I'm a hobbyist only. But, it earns me a lot in the joy of using it. 

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

1 hour ago, Chills said:

I bet that like me the Assinity software earned you more per day than it cost.

Could you correct your typo?  Some of the howlers and bleaters might think you really mean it!  😊

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Frankly I am disgusted.

Disgusted by people who get 40% off - nearly half price - from ALREADY VERY LOW price and STILL complaining because they didn't got extra special-VIP-mega-loyalty exclusive club discount 🤦🏼‍♂️.  We ALL got a discount. A big one.

I bought Affinity the day it came out on PC. I never needed Publisher (maybe for tables only) but I bought it to support Affinity because I LOVE working using it. Sure I complained here and there, I am not a fan of it become "windows app" but the software itself brings me joy. Often I don't feel like I am working - just having fun with what I do. Which I stopped feeling with Adobe products long time ago and I was happy to ditch them.

I still don't need Publisher and I don't have i-pad but I will be purchasing next week the one license for all the apps anyways. Its ridiculously good value. And great software worth supporting. While Adobe is adding bunch of gimmicky nonsense I am happy to see Affinity adds actually useful things. Lets see what V3 will bring us in few years. Meanwhile I will enjoy the ride.

Putting myself in the shoes of someone who bought it at least 3 months ago is really frustrating, I don't know the reality of affinity today even in the midst of this crisis, but I would try to provide something for these people. More than 3 months of purchase, I would consider not being able to do anything about it because it is not possible to help everyone, after all, the company also has to have a firm posture to maintain itself and its team.

It's not an easy situation and I believe that serif didn't mean any harm, even if it had to make a tough choice, after all, if the company has financial problems or in its quality and performance we will be the first to feel it, so as adobe has done, the community is feeling it.

When Serif reaches a much higher level, I believe that these challenges will be greater and greater, we hope that they will be able to deal with them, together with the creative community.

The "solutions" have already been, very fairly, explained.

1. If you just recently bought V1, Affinity has provided an email address to submit for possible resolution.
  2. If you bought so-so recently, and aren't ready to pay for the new version, don't upgrade. No one has to upgrade. Use v1 for a few more months or a year or so to amortize the cost over a longer period. V1 runs, produces massive amounts of pro-level media for our company's clients, and will keep running for the foreseeable future. Then later when you feel you've gotten enough "use" out of V1, then buy the new V2 version. That said, as been the history with Affinity, they are truly giving this fantastic software away at a very, very, very competitive price, whether at full retail or right now at the introductory price.

Just seems strange that people are somehow construing that Serif are somehow forcing people to upgrade just because they launched a new version. If you don't want to pay the price, don't upgrade. Keep using V1 apps. They're great. 

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

10 hours ago, Bruno Belo said:

Putting myself in the shoes of someone who bought it at least 3 months ago is really frustrating

I can give you my shoes, I bought V1 five years ago.

7 hours ago, CWFII said:

Yes. And the company honored the sale price when I asked. 

First of all I am sure this is a real story 🤭

Lets make that absolutely not made-up story little bit more similar to Affinity situation:
You buy a coat for the full price and then you go to the same shop next day and... DIFFERENT COAT is on sale. And you say "sir, yesterday I bought a coat for the full price, but I see today this DIFFERENT coat is on sale - can I get a discount too?"
And... of course they give you a discount! And chocolate ice cream too! And give you free ride to home too, because they are not some mean software sellers but nice people. And this absolutely could happen in real world and we are not making up stories at all!

🎵You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one🎵

🤪

14 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

Could you correct your typo?  Some of the howlers and bleaters might think you really mean it!  😊

Are you sure I didn#t? 🙂   
Thanks I have corrected the typo. I know what you mean about some of the peopel on here.

4 hours ago, nezumi said:

I can give you my shoes, I bought V1 five years ago.

First of all I am sure this is a real story 🤭

Lets make that absolutely not made-up story little bit more similar to Affinity situation:
You buy a coat for the full price and then you go to the same shop next day and... DIFFERENT COAT is on sale. And you say "sir, yesterday I bought a coat for the full price, but I see today this DIFFERENT coat is on sale - can I get a discount too?"
And... of course they give you a discount! And chocolate ice cream too! And give you free ride to home too, because they are not some mean software sellers but nice people. And this absolutely could happen in real world and we are not making up stories at all!

🎵You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one🎵

🤪

This is a true story that occurs every day in stores across the U.S. like Kohl's (https://cs.kohls.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/88/~/price-adjustments). It's called a price adjustment policy. This appears to be what Serif is doing for customers who recently purchased V1, which I applaud.

As for your reframed story... One could return the coat bought yesterday for a refund - provided it was not damaged - and buy the new coat today at the discounted price. 

Appreciate the irrelevant sarcasm. Kudos on the Lennon reference! :)

On 11/12/2022 at 4:07 AM, nezumi said:

Frankly I am disgusted.

Disgusted by people who get 40% off - nearly half price - from ALREADY VERY LOW price and STILL complaining because they didn't got extra special-VIP-mega-loyalty exclusive club discount 🤦🏼‍♂️.  We ALL got a discount. A big one.

I bought Affinity the day it came out on PC. I never needed Publisher (maybe for tables only) but I bought it to support Affinity because I LOVE working using it. Sure I complained here and there, I am not a fan of it become "windows app" but the software itself brings me joy. Often I don't feel like I am working - just having fun with what I do. Which I stopped feeling with Adobe products long time ago and I was happy to ditch them.

I still don't need Publisher and I don't have i-pad but I will be purchasing next week the one license for all the apps anyways. Its ridiculously good value. And great software worth supporting. While Adobe is adding bunch of gimmicky nonsense I am happy to see Affinity adds actually useful things. Lets see what V3 will bring us in few years. Meanwhile I will enjoy the ride.

It's ridiculous how some people are upset about not getting the loyalty discount for using V1. 
Given it's price, especially with the discount, it seems it's not the price but they are upset because the new users are not discriminated with an inflated price!

By the way, Serif is upgrading the apps to V2 if someone has bought V1 within a month before the new release. I saw a reply from a mod on the launch day. 

I was eagerly waiting when Affinity for Mac was announced and I also bought Affinity the day it came out for PC. I have picked up about 20 licenses so far even though only 1/4th of them are in use. I am still about it as the price is ridiculously low - let alone the discounted price! And I wanted to support an alternative to the Adobe and their regressive rental model.  I used Adobe for almost two decades - and it was very painful to move away from them to say the least - it took few years for me to get comfortable with Affinity and come to terms with its limitations and differences - but looking back I was totally worth it!

5 hours ago, CWFII said:

As for your reframed story... One could return the coat bought yesterday for a refund - provided it was not damaged - and buy the new coat today at the discounted price. 

If you bought a product or a service online or outside of a shop (by telephone, mail order, from a door-to-door salesperson), you also have the right to cancel and return your order within 14 days, for any reason and without a justification.

Serif is following that rule or is it not?

Edit; hint Serif does, it follows the rules.

What is your returns policy?

If you are not satisfied with your product for any reason, you may return it within a 14 day period after receipt of your product to receive a full refund.
https://store.serif.com/en-gb/help/

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

1 hour ago, SKT7 said:

It's ridiculous how some people are upset about not getting the loyalty discount for using V1. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, regardless of whether or not others deem said opinion ridiculous.

1 hour ago, SKT7 said:

Given it's price, especially with the discount, it seems it's not the price but they are upset because the new users are not discriminated with an inflated price!

That's one way to frame it. Another: existing V1 users felt discriminated against based on the lack of a deflated V2 upgrade price for existing customers. It works both ways.

1 hour ago, SKT7 said:

They just seem to be upset that they are getting the same discount that first time buyers are getting. IOW, I think they would prefer that first time buyers get no discount.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7