You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi @NBabout,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

For our existing customers we have had to be conscious that, considering many of our V1 sales are generated via app stores (macOS app store, Windows app store), it’s not possible to provide upgrade pricing for these users, as the respected stores don't allow us to 'identify' these users.

That’s the main reason we have decided to offer such a large launch discount – to give any users a chance to upgrade at an incredible price.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

I have one question about this. I myself also purchased V1 last year on the Affinity website itself. Isn't posible for those users to have the upgrade price? For me it now feels like I kind wasted my money by buying Affinity Products last year because I didn't knew the Whole Suit would be in sale this month for like 35 euros more than the 3 windows apps seperately. If I knew that, i would've never bought the 3 apps lst yer because now when I want V2 suite, I kinda throw away my money because no one uses V1 and V2 at the same time. 

• Staff
8 minutes ago, unlockthepicture said:

I myself also purchased V1 last year on the Affinity website itself. Isn't posible for those users to have the upgrade price?

All users, new and old, are entitled to the same 40% offer price, though I'm sorry to hear you feel this way.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Hi @NBabout,

For our existing customers we have had to be conscious that, considering many of our V1 sales are generated via app stores (macOS app store, Windows app store), it’s not possible to provide upgrade pricing for these users, as the respected stores don't allow us to 'identify' these users.

That’s the main reason we have decided to offer such a large launch discount – to give any users a chance to upgrade at an incredible price.

This would be right if the prices would not be doubled up. Now the "real" discount is only about 10-20% cause the apps are more expensive now.

• Staff
2 minutes ago, unlockthepicture said:

Alright. Do you know if there is a way to transfer your license to another account?

I'd recommend emailing affinity@serif.com so our team can investigate further and hopefully assist with this :) 

Actually if you purchased Affinity for $54.99 and upgrade to V2 for $40.99, you're paying more than the $69.99 V2 retail price. $95.98 to be exact. So I would say there is no discount for V1 users. Just the opposite. I guess that's the fee you pay for the time using it pre-V2.

Edited by Joy Boy

Hi

I feel the same way I bought Photo and designer at the end of May for £47.98 if i update now it will cost another £71.98 this does sting for someone whose been using it less than 6 months*.

As some one who is an occasional user of the software I had waited until it was on offer as a result I cannot justify paying the extra for it, this is despite some great features such as non destructive RAW editing. DFX/DWG editing in a drawing package is something I’ve wanted for some time rather than trying to struggle in QGIS, or some unfathomable CAD software.

I expected to have to pay for an update eventual but not so soon or so much as a result I will probably wait for V3.

*Purchased on 27 May, 5 month 13 days ago or 166 days

On 11/9/2022 at 3:01 PM, Dan C said:

Hi @NBabout,

Your reasoning is incorrect, you are talking about users who buy the mobile app, I mean the app for windows or mac which has a different and higher price.
At least you could send an additional discount coupon to users who purchased version 1 within the year, in my case purchased in May 2022, and there was no indication of a possible new version, only that there would be been free updates for life, this is called false advertising!
As mentioned above you can at least send an additional coupon for those who bought the app within 12 months or more, because it is not right to be treated like the users who buy the app for the first time, in my case it is like paying double.

• Staff
2 hours ago, NBabout said:

Your reasoning is incorrect, you are talking about users who buy the mobile app, I mean the app for windows or mac which has a different and higher price.

The full desktop version of Affinity has been on sale in the Mac App Store and the Windows Store for around 6 years - we are not given any customer information from either of these stores, so we can't offer an 'upgrade' price for these existing users, as we can't verify all of the V1 purchases. This absolutely applies to both desktop and iPad Affinity V1 apps.

40 minutes ago, Dan C said:

The full desktop version of Affinity has been on sale in the Mac App Store and the Windows Store for around 6 years - we are not given any customer information from either of these stores, so we can't offer an 'upgrade' price for these existing users, as we can't verify all of the V1 purchases. This absolutely applies to both desktop and iPad Affinity V1 apps.

I bought through affinity not through other suppliers, in the case of other suppliers the reasoning is correct, but I, like others, am a direct customer and what you are saying is not right. The correct thing would be to either provide a price to upgrade or provide a discount coupon for your direct customers. In my case, software that is practically not even six months old is already to be considered obsolete because it will no longer be updated and lifetime updates were promised. An additional discount coupon seems to be the minimum

33 minutes ago, Dan C said:

we are not given any customer information from either of these stores, so we can't offer an 'upgrade' price for these existing users, as we can't verify all of the V1 purchases. This absolutely applies to both desktop and iPad Affinity V1 apps.

But we can - as we got invoices from Apple for instance and from your shop of course.

Good day.
For me it looks like saying goodbye. To first increase prices by 55% and then give a discount of 40% smells fishy. I do not know where this price increase comes from or is justified. Since I am now only a hobby user I would have to invest a lot of money, which I do not have in a handful of new features and as much as I would like to continue to support users in this forum with my knowledge I can not do it without version 2 licenses. So I have to go then.
Bye and all the best.

image.jpeg.b5fdbc13c344cbcd3f4773b4e5704e60.jpeg

• Staff
6 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

I do not know where this price increase comes from or is justified

Since we sell on the Mac App Store, and have to have consistent pricing across the Affinity Store, Windows Store and Mac App Store we set our prices in Dollars on the Mac App Store, then the Apple Pricing Matrix (set by Apple, not be Affinity) is used to generate prices in other currencies etc.

This was covered below, as the price upgrade also applied to V1, before we announced V2 -

And has been reiterated here most recently -

Though we're certainly sorry to hear you feel this way.

5 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Since we sell on the Mac App Store, and have to have consistent pricing across the Affinity Store, Windows Store and Mac App Store we set our prices in Dollars on the Mac App Store, then the Apple Pricing Matrix (set by Apple, not be Affinity) is used to generate prices in other currencies etc.

This was covered below, as the price upgrade also applied to V1, before we announced V2 -

And has been reiterated here most recently -

Though we're certainly sorry to hear you feel this way.

I'm sorry dan but you keep giving some strange answers. Surely you will have a database of your customers, what it costs you to be correct and send everyone a discount code for the V2 version. It would be correct especially for those who have purchased the previous version a few months ago. Also as you can see from the pictures you posted it is possible to apply a discount code, so it's just a matter of your will and fairness!

On 11/9/2022 at 4:56 PM, AMW1 said:

I will probably wait for V3.

Just for your information, version 1 of ADesigner and APhoto was released about 6 years ago. It has been updated all the time for free (new features added and bugs fixed). So it can be expected that you can wait quite a long time for version 3.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

On 11/9/2022 at 7:44 AM, NBabout said:

It is not correct that users with the V1 version have the same discount as those who buy V2 for the first time. I bought version V1 not even 6 months ago and now I should pay back everything as if I were a regular user. Shame!

You would be better if you had the 40% discount and everybody else had like a 30% of discount or less, I suppose.

Best regards!

4 hours ago, NBabout said:

free updates for life

Could you provide some evidence for your claim? Thank you
P.S. Please do not confuse with a lifetime license, which allows you to "use" the application for a lifetime (which is not customary for some companies, because after the end of continuous payment the application cannot even be used), but it does not say anything about lifetime "updates and upgrades".

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

You need to create an upgrade offer for V1 buyers.

Period.

No excuses.

Competition in this sector is hot and the lack of development on V1 made me start looking elsewhere, now this.

I'll vote with my wallet.

Sorry, but there it is.

Show the people who've supported you the last few years some love.

9 minutes ago, Threlly said:

Show the people who've supported you the last few years some love.

You're absolutely right - 40% off is no love at all, especially these days when everything is 110% off or free.

28 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Just for your information, version 1 of ADesigner and APhoto was released about 6 years ago. It has been updated all the time for free (new features added and bugs fixed). So it can be expected that you can wait quite a long time for version 3.

To be fair, we don‘t know this. Serif have always said that they‘d provide free updates to version 1 and would charge customers for the version 2 upgrade, but we were never given any time frame when this would happen. Many people expected that version 2 would follow after the 1.9 updates, but as we all know, even that wasn‘t the case. That being said, it‘s entirely up to Serif how often they want to update version 2. The jump to version 3 could happen after 2.5, 2.6 … we simply don‘t know. To be clear, I don‘t really expect Serif to drastically shorten the lifetime of version 2. I‘m just saying that they could. To be clear again, I‘m personally okay with Serif‘s policy, but there are customers who feel betrayed about the current pricing options for whatever reason, and it might be a good idea to point this out to prevent further misunderstandings.

On 11/9/2022 at 3:01 PM, Dan C said:

[...]

[...]

I don't fully understand the excuse. You say that you cannot identify users that bought V1 in, for example Mac appstore.

But if I buy the V2 universal license now in the Mac appstore, then my software can be activated on an other Windows machine too. So you can still identify me, right?

Why can't you use the same identification method for existing V1 users?