You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

6 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Maybe the technical issues are not so simple. If Serif say that a problem is difficult (in plain terms, without any particular example in mind) I am inclined to believe them rather than somebody who is not privy to the information that Serif has.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but perhaps the single most pressing technical issue would be a slight at best if the software was developed correctly initially. Likewise, there's actually these cheap little boxes you plug in to the wall that can compare tens of thousands of digital receipts in real-time as they arrive in email -- they operate using a system of ones and zeros... And the whole concept of beta-testing seems foreign to them.

I'm not privy to insider information, but I do have insight when someone's blowing smoke.

15 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Maybe the technical issues are not so simple. If Serif say that a problem is difficult (in plain terms, without any particular example in mind) I am inclined to believe them rather than somebody who is not privy to the information that Serif has.

They don't care and it doesn't matter. Both users have said the issues don't even impact them but we're gaslit into false disagreements whilest they rile up others by portraying them as the bleeding hearts. I don't think I ever took the position I was on some team, but they are CLEARLY firm that they are not team Serif.. or something... it's 100% to create drama.

The only people I care to feel sorry for are the people who will inevitably miss the upgrade/not upgrade fee Window, people who have bought V1 in recent times and the staff that have to put up with the constant narcissistic abuse by randos on these forums as a result of corporate policy. Everyone else can pound sand.

Edited by debraspicher
Clarity

7 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

@ChopperNova

You know Serif staff are real people and that we're right here reading all this?

Perhaps you should be more concerned with your customers than your own individual personal feelings. You realize we are real people who pay Serif real money for a product, and have every right to demand that it be fit for purpose -- and in many cases it is completely unusable. Those users were initially told to suck it.

Customers who bought V1 immediate before V2 are still being told Sucks to be you, and your rationale for how you're doing upgrades is flatly insulting -- and I'll repeat, this doesn't apply to me. Remember, everyone wanting upgrade comp, (and some were unreasonable), are your paying customers. They didn't deserve to be shamed as deadbeats in the forum, and while I appreciate the acceptance of widespread opinion here, I think mods could have a set a better tone, had they wished.

I interrupted my photo schedule, excited with V2, but had install issues, and it all just spiraled down from there with: First it was Sucks to be you, then; we'll get around to it eventually, in the meantime, sucks to be you. If you burn through your trial before a proper install, sucks to be you, if you want to test MSI before you buy at the discount rate, sucks to be you. Any stand-up company would apologize profusely for this huge waste of time and money for their customers, and bend over backwards to try to keep them, if the gave a shit. All this seems this seems like a risky strategy from a company that relies heavily on word of mouth.

Nothing's intended personally, but Serif is being PAID to do a JOB -- produce software. If my Uber drives through my garage door, costing me time and money -- then starts with a song an dance about how this is so better, 'cuz I don't have to walk as far to my kitchen, then it's just too damn bad if he gets butthurt when he doesn't get five stars and a tip.

Some people actually rely on software, and when it's broken, it costs them real time, money and creative energy. Broken software has even been responsible for people losing jobs. Sucks to be them.

6 hours ago, ChopperNova said:

Some people actually rely on software, and when it's broken, it costs them real time, money and creative energy. Broken software has even been responsible for people losing jobs. Sucks to be them.

For those people in business where the rely on the software the upgrade price form V1 to V2 is less than trivial. It is lost inthe mist.   Even if they bought V1 last month.

Besides none of this software is life critical.

www.JAmedia.uk  and www.TamworthHeritage.org.uk
[Win 11  | AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]

On 11/22/2022 at 2:54 PM, eurosuper95 said:

Hi and good day to you all,

I am here just to say few things.

I started my company (arch design) half a year ago and bought Affinity Photo v1 exactly on August 30, 2022 believing to your written words below the pricing info that said (not 100% from letter to letter sure but something like) "this is price for version 1, free upgrades, don't worry v2 is not in sight".

Merely two months after that - wham! Version 2 comes along.

You see, I am occasional user of your software - I could have waited for the v2 version since it's not necessary for my core business.

Nonetheless I will probably pay for v2 in the future, but I want you to answer to just one question:

Why did you lead me to believe that v2 version is not in sight, so that I can buy now old version, just two months before release of a completely new version??

Someone in this thread said something like "yeah, you could notice in the forums that v2 is under way, you could see the sighs". Well, I don't use forums, and I don't care about signs. I care about what you say on your official site, and you told A LIE. THAT'S A FACT.

I feel very disappointed and you should be ashamed. Not that it will change something, but now I feel a bit relieved.

Thank you.

I guess it sucks to be me.

No answer from anyone regarding false claims on the official website.

Not cool.

On 11/11/2022 at 12:58 PM, Pšenda said:

You're absolutely right - 40% off is no love at all, especially these days when everything is 110% off or free.

And that's just how it should be 110% off or free (personally, I'd go for the 110% as they'd have to pay me 10% to take it off them).
You have to watch them though, or they'll be wanting us to buy stuff to pay their wages next, like I mean, what's that all about? Sheesh!

Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 16GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB - Asus ProArt  24" 1920 x 1200

iMac 2017 Quad-Core Intel 2.4GHz Cor i5 - 21.5'' Retina 4K - 8Gb RAM - 1TB Fusion drive - Radion Pro 560 4GB - Ventura 13.0.1

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series 7559 - i7 6700HQ - 16Mb RAM - 128Gb SSD 1Tb HD - Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 960M 4Gb GDDR5 RAM - 4K

Asus N56V i7 3630QM 2.40GHz; 8Mb RAM; 1Tb HD; 64 bit. Nvidia GT 650M 2Gb: 1920 x 1080 - 2nd Monitor: Asus ProArt  24": 1920 x 1200

I cannot understand that after two weeks, this discussion is still going on. I am relying since 2009 on Serif software for the graphics I create. The Plus range let me create things, I would never have created with other tools. When development stopped for the Plus range, I was also sad and concerned.

When I start using the Affinity suite (when it became available) I was hesitating too, despite the fact after two weeks of using, I did no longer looked back and deleted Draw and PhotoPlus from my laptop. Since then, Affinity became my preferred tool (I use Ragtime instead of Publisher) for drawing and retouching photos.

Now I am watching the Affinity Revolution paid courses to bring me up to speed as soon as possible. Last weekend they released Photo v2 which is a marvel of a course. If Ally or Ezra (I know they read these forums too) read this, please also create a Designer v2 and Publisher v2 course too. In my free time I also watched Youtube tutorials about specific features.

People are using V2 to make money by creating astonishing artwork. They are sharing their experiences and when getting stuck, they are giving workarounds which they foundout in the process. Many of those teachers also say that they wished for more but are satisfied with what they got. Myself also wished for more, but because not all my wishes are forfilled, I have still something to look out for.

Maybe the new installation was not such a good idea, however, Serif stated that they are looking into it and will come with a solution in the future. I am sure they are doing their best to solve our problems and listening to their users. I also cannot use Designer as external app with Faststone Screencapture. I now save in png and open it with Designer to do what I intended to do.

Positivity is so much stronger then negativity! I can only advice you to stop complaining, upgrade to V2 (or not) and start using your creativity to create your artwork and bring food on the table! That is the only way!

To end, I like to thank the whole Serif team for the excellent v2 upgrade, which once you master the new features is a true piece of art done. Keep the good work coming!

Chris

3 hours ago, eurosuper95 said:

No answer from anyone regarding false claims on the official website.

Specifically, what claims are you talking about? Please provide a link to this or at least a screenshot.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Specifically, what claims are you talking about? Please provide a link to this or at least a screenshot.

Oh come one.... we are having a RANT and you want facts and worse still.... Evidence!?  How unsporting 🙂

25 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Please see my first post, quoted above...

I didn't do a screenshot before/after my purchase, but it was there in the Full Feature List for everyone to see. I guess they (Serif team) deleted that claim when they freshened up their web page for V2.

So, guess since I can't give you proof that you will choose not to believe my word and call me a RANTer? Well, thank you and you too have a nice day 🙂

Too bad that Internet remembers.
The best I could find is a screenshot from Sept 24, 2022. The hopes are slim, but maybe someone has even more recent screenshot.

As I said earlier - I made a purchase solely relying on the underlined claim in the screenshot provided, since Affinity Photo is not my essential tool.

affinity1.jpg

affinity2.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 minutes ago, eurosuper95 said:

Since you disparaged my claim and I gave you proof, I expect your apology. Thank you.

You gave no "proof"  of Serif lying.  
There can be "no planned release date" right up to a month before a release.

I seem to recall advanced anouncments  (Affinity  emails and Videos) hinting at V2  over a month before the release.

I don't want to waste more of everyone's time going into semantics. We can agree or disagree about subjectivity of the term "planned date". Bottom line is - if it had stated "... until version 2 becomes available (Q4 2022 or Q1 2023)" I would have waited and bought v2 upon release. But it didn't. The milk is spilled...

debraspicher, thank you for your reply. As I stated in my original post, I'm not trying to be a freeloader, I will probably buy v2 during this discount phase since I believe that some €120 for a bundle is a steal - just I'm not happy with the official claim above and how it affected my purchase decision.

Man I hate to quote myself but also in my first post you will find: "Not that it will change something, but now I feel a bit relieved."

And that's it 🙂 have a good day

• Staff
10 minutes ago, eurosuper95 said:

As I stated in my original post, I'm not trying to be a freeloader, I will probably buy v2 during this discount phase since I believe that some €120 for a bundle is a steal - just I'm not happy with the official claim above and how it affected my purchase decision.

I had no idea that wording existed, we tried in Tech to say there was no announced date. Not that it makes any real difference but the actual date we went on sale was not decided till quite late and did move a number of times during development. Furthermore I expect that copy was 100% true when initially written. You could not possibly be expected to know any of that and your post was obviously made in good faith.

Given the date of your purchase and the date on that wayback page, please accept my apologies for not knowing that wording had been used and thus it's existence only months before the release of V2. I think your posts here have been more than fair and would like to apologize for the tone of the replies that were directed towards you by some here.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi Patrick,

thank you for your reply. That's all I wanted - for you to be aware of this clumsy expression problem so you can format it differently when the time comes for v3. Or maybe change new version announcement altogether, so that people who are on the verge of buying can have an option: buy now or wait officially announced xy time units for a new version.

Users who use this software commercially on a daily basis can't probably afford to wait, but some if not all others can and probably will.

Keep up the good work 💪

24 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

I had no idea that wording existed, we tried in Tech to say there was no announced date. Not that it makes any real difference but the actual date we went on sale was not decided till quite late and did move a number of times during development. Furthermore I expect that copy was 100% true when initially written.

That is what I expected.  As soon as the release date was solid I think Serif started pushing the teaser videos?
However given the discounted cost of Affinity and the number of years between charged versions, when companred to any other software out there,  it is still a bargin.  Some one is always going to be the last person to buy the old version before the new one comes out. 

1 hour ago, eurosuper95 said:

Hi Patrick,

thank you for your reply. That's all I wanted - for you to be aware of this clumsy expression problem so you can format it differently when the time comes for v3. Or maybe change new version announcement altogether, so that people who are on the verge of buying can have an option: buy now or wait officially announced xy time units for a new version.

Users who use this software commercially on a daily basis can't probably afford to wait, but some if not all others can and probably will.

Keep up the good work 💪

Everything between the first post from @eurosuper95 and the reply from Serif today is what I'm talking about, which is the problem in here. It's despicable to see customers having to go through all this. It's like Frodo with a customer complaint around his neck. It is often so much better to contact companies directly.

A legitimate customer complaint and an honest credible response from Serif. Thanks to both.

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

Reading all these posts I feel hard done by as I have no reason to whinge. I've had AP for 18 months and the Issues I've had with it are mostly down to windows/graphics driver updates. I purchased AD about 6 months ago and shortly after APub (after fantastic customer service from Serif).  Three or four months later all the signs pointed to a Ver 2 release would be 'soon'. After a few weeks Ver 2 was released and as soon as I could get online I purchased the full package. No problems with payment, download or install on the PC & Ipad. Running the pc versions the I found that it runs a bit slow at times, probably due to my old computer. 
I did find a 'bug' but I can't whinge about that either as after I reported it I've had word Serif have recreated the issue and are looking in to a fix but again (as I suspected) it is windows based.
I am a private user who is unlikely to use the software commercially, can still use Ver 1 if I wish, can use on two platforms (not that I will use the ipad version as I won't use the ipad) and will get updates to both Ver 1 & 2 and won't have to buy the upgrade to Ver 3 for a good while yet.  Add to that the fact that I have still paid a lot than I did to rent the 'industry standard' that cost me £480 ish (for one program) and I have no software to use now I don't pay them.
OK so I'm not that keen on the fact the pc version is an app but it runs well, no issue (other than the external program issue for which I have a workround till the msi version is released) because it is an app. I don't care that new customers can buy it for the same price as me, I got a good deal I'm happy with.

I can appreciate that those that paid full price for Ver 1 a few weeks before Ver 2 was released could feel 'ripped off' but that's life, I went to the supermarket today where things I bought Wednesday at full price are now on offer, it happens!

Well done Serif, I am more than happy with how I've been treated and hope to have several years of updates & new features before Ver 3 comes alone.

Maybe it is time this thread was locked.

I had the same experience with Qatar Airways. I bought my ticket last Sunday and on Monday there was a Black Friday sale. I regret I didn't wait one day later because then I could got it at a much cheaper price. However, I didn't complain and I will fly with a more expensive ticket  than those who could make use of the Black Friday sale. That's life, one time you win, another time you loose. I am happy to see that there are other positive reactions here.

The same is true for V1 to V2. Everybody from new to existing customers get a nice discount. Everybody should be satisfied with this excellent deal. Nowadays too many people make the bill of others or envy them because they think that other person gets more.

Personally, I did not find many bugs, besides the one of the exe problem. My Wacom Cintiq 16 drawing tablet works without any problem and also my Intuos 5 M tablet from 4 or 5 years ago, still works.

People where so excited before the release of V2 and from day one of the release, that excitement got lost by all the whining of the upgrade price. That gave me a very sad feeling because Serif deserves so much better in my opinion. When I bought the Affinity Photo 2 course, made by Affinity Revolution, the excitement of the Ally really made my day. Now I am already over the middle of this course and seriously, those new features are very nice. By the way Ally, if you read this, please please please, create also a Designer 2 course. You will receive my endless gratitude!

Be creative!

16 hours ago, Chills said:

For those people in business where the rely on the software the upgrade price form V1 to V2 is less than trivial. It is lost inthe mist.   Even if they bought V1 last month.

Besides none of this software is life critical.

Products should work as advertised; evidently "we finally got it to run with no fatalities, let's sell it"  is an acceptable standard here.

13 hours ago, R C-R said:

5 hours ago, R C-R said:

Please search the forum on *******. This has been covered in many, many topics.

On 11/27/2022 at 2:15 AM, ChopperNova said:

Products should work as advertised; evidently "we finally got it to run with no fatalities, let's sell it"  is an acceptable standard here.

That is the normal standard for most software. Actually that is better than most commercial/consumer software.

In this case they are ballancing three seperate (but joined) products they have to release all or none as V2.

It is a case of getting three spining plates stable at the same time.