You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

39 minutes ago, Chills said:

I am using V2 and it does not feel like a beta.

Same for me. It has some bugs but it seems to me that there are far fewer of them compared to the first several V1 releases.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 11/9/2022 at 8:44 AM, NBabout said:

It is not correct that users with the V1 version have the same discount as those who buy V2 for the first time. I bought version V1 not even 6 months ago and now I should pay back everything as if I were a regular user. Shame!

You know I thought that at first.  But changed my mind.
I had the use of the Affinity line for years saving a lot of money over Adobe.
To be honest how much more of a discount do you want?  And extra 5% an extra 10%  in reality it is not that much more of a saving.  PLUS with the new Universal License makes the produce even a better value.
You are getting a great produce at a great value. I have no issue with them extending their generosity to others.

That said, I was hoping for a light room product, and Auto trace for Designer.

14 hours ago, Archaeologist said:

No,' they're' annoyed that Affinity isn't doing what every other software company does and offering agreater loyalty discount for existing users, especially those who wasted their money just a few months ago, on a version that is now obsolete and will receive no more updates of any kind even if there's a security flaw.

Every software company gives a larger discount for existing users, except Affinity. It's standard.

You'll be annoyed too if they bring out v3 in 5 months time and your v2 is suddenly obsolete.

I completely wasted the money I spent a few months ago on v1. If I hadn't bought v1 then, I'd have the money to buy v2 now. By the time Christmas is over and I can save something, the price will be completely out of reach.

Being attacked by rich people for not being rich is also not improving the company's reputation.

V3 will not be released for a long time.  V1 was released in July 9, 2015.

To be honest if you just got V1 then you have a world of learning to do.  There is nothing in V2 that will make your pictures that much better.
The secret is, that it is the artist and not the program that makes great works.
That said... There will be more sales, Affinity goes on sale a few times a year.
So hone your skills and when the time comes you can upgrade.

I feel for you that you just bought V1, but no one is attacking you.

15 hours ago, Archaeologist said:

doing what every other software company does and offering a greater loyalty discount for existing users,

Absolute rubbish! "All" other software company's do not do this. For example the screen recording software I use has just been upgraded to a new version. Like Affinity the upgrade has to be paid for. Not only is there no discount for existing users, but, unlike Affinity, it is now more than twice the cost of the old version! They point out that you can continue to use the old version as long as you like, which is what I have decided to do – just like people can do with v1 of Affinity, if they don't want to upgrade.

(It's also worth noting that many other business's do not offer discounts for "loyalty" either. Insurance, banks, broadband and phone companies etc often give discounts to new customers to get their business, then charge their old "loyal" customers more than the new ones!)

Some companies offer "loyalty" discounts, some don't! Some do special deals for new customers, some don't! If you don't like the deal, shop around and get a better one – if you can!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

For me the price is ok and bought it despite having v1 for 2 years. Especially universal license is a huge deal comparing to the previous licenses. With v1 I gave up on mac licenses buying only windows ones because I didn't want to pay double for the same software. Now with a price of more-less two applications I got not only variants for 3 OSes but also Publisher as an extra.

Referring to price raise - it's nothing weird, having 6-years inflation and especially actual state of world's economy in mind. Even JetBrains decided to raise them.

However I saw few times companies announcements after unexpected (from users' perspective) paid new version release that they are ready to give refunds or bigger discounts for users that bought previous version in eg. last 6 months. Serif would make happy some reasonably annoyed people with such move. But as I said - I saw that few times while eg. as @PaulEC mentioned, there are also situations with quite opposite approach.

In the end whatever Serif does, I personally won't judge as I'm on neutral ground with this - just giving some ideas in this topic.

So once more I bought just whole package even if I dont really need Publisher - to support Affinity.

Pixologic was giving away updates of ZBrush for free to existing users for over 2 decades. Today zbrush is not called Pixologic ZBrush but Maxon ZBrush. Pixologic is no more. People would gladly pay now for Pixologic to stay independent but its too late. Generosity has its limits.

I don't want the same happen to Affinity. I want it to stay in hands of its creators, don't want to use "Adobe Affinity" in a few years or something. No thank you. I rather pay now and support it now before its too late. And lets be honest here - even full price is ridiculously low for next few years of updates and more then worth it. So lets stop whining and lets get to work :D I just opened 195 pages pdf in Designer. Took literally second to load. Love that software.

2 minutes ago, nezumi said:

So once more I bought just whole package even if I dont really need Publisher - to support Affinity.

Pixologic was giving away updates of ZBrush for free to existing users for over 2 decades. Today zbrush is not called Pixologic ZBrush but Maxon ZBrush. Pixologic is no more. People would gladly pay now for Pixologic to stay independent but its too late. Generosity has its limits.

I don't want the same happen to Affinity. I want it to stay in hands of its creators, don't want to use "Adobe Affinity" in a few years or something. No thank you. I rather pay now and support it now before its too late. And lets be honest here - even full price is ridiculously low for next few years of updates and more then worth it. So lets stop whining and lets get to work :D I just opened 195 pages pdf in Designer. Took literally second to load. Love that software.

I don't use Publisher a ton for client work. Usually those documents are too minor for Publisher and I tend to use Designer for brochures. However, I'm really into writing myself notes and documents. When I need to study up on something, I keep numerous binders I fill with notes. Either resources I need later on, fixes or workarounds for very specific situations. I'm in the process of collecting images for this year's moodboard for myself which I have setup in Publisher. Either styles/designs I am working on. However, I'm also starting to write down notes in a daily binder to make myself a manual. Anyway, it's much easier to work in pages with the Publisher layout than in Designer.

*Just be aware, if you paste images copied from a browser into Publisher, that you use {Paste special} in the case it goes off page... it's usually some HTML elements/etc buried in the clipboard data.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

5 hours ago, nezumi said:

@debraspicher I might start using Publisher more after reading your post. I am making lots of notes and tips for different software I use and for now its OneNote. But one massive, continuous page that I have to scroll down with barely any order becomes very hard to use. So thanks for sharing!

❤️ Yes, that's why I do written first, then digitize. I have dotted/gridded sketches separated by subject (most for illustrative, not notes), and then I have the proper binders organized by roles (designer, code-related, etc) with related dividers. Some are back from when I was using Lynda. It's funny you mentioned OneNote because I have 365 and was trying to do it that method, even written on screen. It's just not the same. For whatever reason, writing on paper activates my memory quicker than digital, so it also helps with remembering I have the notes in the first place...

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%

9 hours ago, debraspicher said:

For whatever reason, writing on paper activates my memory quicker than digital

Myself I think that it is the work done by my hand making the letters/words that makes things 'stick' in my brain as opposed to the touch typing. Could even be the simple needed pen pressure on the paper. Our brains are amazing but weird.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I agree - I also keep notes in the old school notebook where I can freely scrible/write/draw. Some things does not change no matter the so called "progress". In many aspects it feels like regress. Good thing about digital is that you can backup information somewhere "in the cloud" and its harder to loose - specially if you are traveling a lot, changing places you live etc.

Hi and good day to you all,

I am here just to say few things.

I started my company (arch design) half a year ago and bought Affinity Photo v1 exactly on August 30, 2022 believing to your written words below the pricing info that said (not 100% from letter to letter sure but something like) "this is price for version 1, free upgrades, don't worry v2 is not in sight".

Merely two months after that - wham! Version 2 comes along.

You see, I am occasional user of your software - I could have waited for the v2 version since it's not necessary for my core business.

Nonetheless I will probably pay for v2 in the future, but I want you to answer to just one question:

Why did you lead me to believe that v2 version is not in sight, so that I can buy now old version, just two months before release of a completely new version??

Someone in this thread said something like "yeah, you could notice in the forums that v2 is under way, you could see the sighs". Well, I don't use forums, and I don't care about signs. I care about what you say on your official site, and you told A LIE. THAT'S A FACT.

I feel very disappointed and you should be ashamed. Not that it will change something, but now I feel a bit relieved.

Thank you.

I'm a v1 designer and photo user for few years and what they are doing with v2 is basically outraging their customer base, we're here because adobe was bad but it seems affinity is getting shitty too, not only there weren't real useful updates in v1 and now you want us to pay the same as the new commers?... there was always a lack of basic functionality in your product which was fine at the price, but if we put in more money in for a real fundamental stuff it almost will make it not worth it as it will still be lacking a lot in comparison to competition! I'M NOT BUYING IT

21 minutes ago, hl24a3 said:

I'm a v1 designer and photo user for few years and what they are doing with v2 is basically outraging their customer base,

Complete rubbish.  Most of us seem to have no problem with Affinity pricing.  Read the thread.
If you have V1 for "a few years" you have more than got your money's worth.   I had all three for 12 months and have no problem buying V2 (universal license) I am still way ahead compared to using anything else.   

If it costs me, on avverage, £/$100 every 5 years I will be more than happy. That works out at £/$ 8 per app per year.

www.JAmedia.uk  and www.TamworthHeritage.org.uk
[Win 11  | AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]

3 minutes ago, Chills said:

Complete rubbish.  Most of us seem to have no problem with Affinity pricing.  Read the thread.
If you have V1 for "a few years" you have more than got your money's worth.   I had all three for 12 months and have no problem buying V2 (universal license) I am still way ahead compared to using anything else.   

If it costs me, on avverage, £/$100 every 5 years I will be more than happy. That works out at £/$ 8 per app per year.

That's most of you and that's how I feel about it so accept it as it is

42 minutes ago, hl24a3 said:

I'M NOT BUYING IT

If the Affinity apps don’t meet your needs, not buying is probably a good decision. Find apps that work for you.

now you want us to pay the same as the new customers?

I think of it in terms of the value I’m receiving. I think 40% of an already reasonably priced product is great. Serif has mentioned the challenges providing discounts to existing customers due to the different sources the apps can be purchased from — Serif doesn’t receive information about customers who purchase from the Apple and Windows stores. Serif priced the launch discount at a level they thought would please everyone… but it’s hard to please everyone. 

what they are doing with v2 is basically outraging their customer base,

The forums and other online platforms aren’t an accurate representation of the sentiment of the entire customer base. I don’t think any of us has enough information to make assumptions about the overall feelings of customers.

I think Serif made some significant mistakes in V2. I also think V2 is a good value and will be improved upon. My hope is that Serif has systems in place to learn from the mistakes they made developing and launching V2, and are able to improve their internal processes/procedures… time will tell.

6 minutes ago, Brian_J said:

I think Serif made some significant mistakes in V2. I also think V2 is a good value and will be improved upon. My hope is that Serif has systems in place to learn from the mistakes they made developing and launching V2, and are able to improve their internal processes/procedures… time will tell.

Hi, I am intrigued as to what you think the "significant mistakes" are?

In another thread I was asking for a barcode generator in aPublisher.  It seems others also have  and it is in the Serif page plus!
So  I would like to see that but at the moment no significant  mistakes come to mind. Though I don’t use aPhoto  so I don’t know about that.

www.JAmedia.uk  and www.TamworthHeritage.org.uk
[Win 11  | AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]

4 minutes ago, Brian_J said:

If the Affinity apps don’t meet your needs, not buying is probably a good decision. Find apps that work for you.

I think of it in terms of the value I’m receiving. I think 40% of an already reasonably priced product is great. Serif has mentioned the challenges providing discounts to existing customers due to the different sources the apps can be purchased from — Serif doesn’t receive information about customers who purchase from the Apple and Windows stores. Serif priced the launch discount at a level they thought would please everyone… but it’s hard to please everyone. 

The forums and other online platforms aren’t an accurate representation of the sentiment of the entire customer base. I don’t think any of us has enough information to make assumptions about the overall feelings of customers.

Look I see you are trying to be reasonable and I get it, it's OK product as v1 but there should be at least some incentive to make feel good for the v1 early adopters, lets call it like that. It just not seem right to pay a full price, so I won't. As I said all the v1 products LACK pretty much BASIC FUNCTIONALLITY which some of it is being sold in v2 as a separate NEW product. This is by design, they knew that Adobe had no choice but to introduce a subscription model as there is only so much you can improve upon, but this is just it, it is only a photo and vector app plus this publisher thingy, there isn't much to push into it so they intentionally kept the real updates until v2 to charge the whole amount again, I would be fine even with some tiny incentive but no full amount! so NO I can live with v1.

41 minutes ago, hl24a3 said:

It just not seem right to pay a full price, so I won't.

If you buy it while it is still on sale, you won't be paying full price.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

People don't seem to realize that individual software pricing is fantasy money. There's no per-unit cost. Serif could literally price their products anywhere from free to $infinity, and then offer whatever "generous" discount they wanted. They could also offer free versions. A company that makes, say, powertools, can't do that.

I don't have any issue with their pricing policies, per se, and this doesn't apply to me, but selling V1 after stopping development with the implication that it will be "supported" is unethical. Taking feature requests and bug reports on software that's bitrotting in a file archive is playing the customer. They're selling you Pussy Galore and giving you a sack o' cats headin' for the river.

Saying it's impossible to correlate users with V1 purchases is dishonest. If they don't have access to that info, most consumers could produce a receipt just like modern commerce has worked forever. Serif just doesn't want to.

Frank Zappa was right, most people really don't know when they're being dumped on.

1 minute ago, Twolane said:

I can't wait for the thread that complains about missing out on the "non-sale" when the price goes up. Otter be a scream to read the whining and gnashing of teeth.

That's not going to be fun for their sales support to deal with, so I wouldn't really laugh...

Monitor 2 4K @ 150%