You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I don't like the new UI design

I like the new Icons when setting them to be monochromatic.

Also, some people hated the previous icons.

Best regards!

Interesting.  Not sure how the Windows version might have changed, but on the Mac version, they no longer have the separated view, but instead gave the option to "float" individual documents into separate windows, leaving the main Affinity Photo window intact.

For those of us who normally work with the single window and keep things docked this is a nice option to have, as we can split off individual images to move them to a second or third monitor, among other things.  This addresses a concern that has been brought up a few times.

However, the separated mode was definitely a perfectly valid way of working that many users would understandably have preferred, and this new solution seems to have replaced that with something that would be far less than satisfactory for those users who preferred that way of working.  It looks like they fixed and issue with the docked mode but eliminated separated mode completely, which was almost certainly a bad idea.

31 minutes ago, Zaxonov said:

Yes the new icons are great indeed! But I was talking about the interface elements. Like buttons, sliders, etc... :)

Ah, sorry I didn’t understand you. The new UI looks good to me, but it would look better with some smaller elements.

Best regards!

Disheartening to hear separated mode is out. Being able to freely position a bunch of images and stack or work across them is something I've been able to since I started all the way back on ... Photoshop 3.0 IRIX. 😜 These tabbed views on the other hand are the first thing I tend to get rid off in paint programs. Too rigid and fickle with the document snapping - especially on an ultra widescreen monitor.

59 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Interesting.  Not sure how the Windows version might have changed, but on the Mac version, they no longer have the separated view, but instead gave the option to "float" individual documents into separate windows, leaving the main Affinity Photo window intact.

For those of us who normally work with the single window and keep things docked this is a nice option to have, as we can split off individual images to move them to a second or third monitor, among other things.  This addresses a concern that has been brought up a few times.

However, the separated mode was definitely a perfectly valid way of working that many users would understandably have preferred, and this new solution seems to have replaced that with something that would be far less than satisfactory for those users who preferred that way of working.  It looks like they fixed and issue with the docked mode but eliminated separated mode completely, which was almost certainly a bad idea.

Yes, especially for ultra wide panels.

It doesn't seem like it was intentionally removed. I'm thinking interface had to be redrawn from scratch to rework everything and it'll be re-added in the near future. That's my hope anyway.

I like the UI, but like @Mithferion said, they make more sense as monochromatic because of the color choices.

My biggest gripe... those gaps shudder:

image.png.e085818f215fcff0ded57d923957c092.png

It's a shame they haven't added the ability to default floating window to fit document size when un-docked. In Photoshop, it had to be enabled in preferences and wasn't a default, but basically as you zoomed in/out, the window size also followed. This always eats up so much of my time as I tend to make heavy use of the New View option for multiple previews... fixing it involves panning&resizing multiple times until the gaps are at least... minimal gapping... I make full use of my screen real estate where ever possible. That's why.

I have to agree, I'm not a fan. Personally, I also dislike the new icons' aesthetic (the tool icons especially feel very childish and cheap to me), but that's entirely subjective. However, I also find certain things looking a lot less clear. For example, dropdowns stand out less, and what used to be a visibility checkmark is now a dot. Even an eye icon would have been better there.

I will admit, this is based purely on screenshots and video; I haven't purchased V2 yet, but just throwing in my $0.02 so far.

On Windows, i also think the new UI is in some parts a big step back. The visibility of buttons is bad, it is flat and often it is not good to see.

UI Guidelines like Windows 11 windows (drop shadow, round corners and snapping in window gadgets are ignored... great for a design software... only coders and no designers ;) ). 

Export window is not good, the old one was great to click only a dropdown menu a file type and export. The preview is also old scool, it renders a image, CPU is high but it is not needed. I wish i could disable this, i only want to export and no preview. 

Font size changing in windows would be great, it is possible on MacOS (list of presets is very small also on 4k Screen with really big font setting). 

I also find the preset window not great. Here it is a big list with resolutions (also here retro, iPad resolutions from 10 years ago ;)). I also wish on restart the window the favorites would be selected instead of selecting it every time to minimize the list. I just deleted all unused stuff to get a shorter list. 

I also wish the top icon bar could be more entries, it seems you can add and remove only the things wich are included in default, put a menu entry into it is not possible. 

14 minutes ago, Senshi said:

... Personally, I also dislike the new icons' aesthetic (the tool icons especially feel very childish and cheap to me), but that's entirely subjective. However, I also find certain things looking a lot less clear. For example, dropdowns stand out less, and what used to be a visibility checkmark is now a dot. Even an eye icon would have been better there. ...

I feel the same way.

bisher: Micrografx Picture Publisher 10, Photoshop 6, Affinity Photo 1, Affinity Photo 2

2 hours ago, imagodespira said:

Export window is not good, the old one was great to click only a dropdown menu a file type and export. The preview is also old scool, it renders a image, CPU is high but it is not needed. I wish i could disable this, i only want to export and no preview. 

Exactly !

• The Drop down menu is annoying. Clicking an icon was faster!
  • Everything looks like a badly done app wish a fishy framework and takes more screen space :
  1. v1 :
    Spoiler

169741797_Screenshot2022-11-09at20_40_33.thumb.png.638bb7fc41eea7add4b653df3f9cc966.png

2. v2:
    Spoiler

1406750944_Screenshot2022-11-09at20_33_07.thumb.png.f8228fd9fc90c5db2e488665310b7b7e.png

• Scrolling and resizing the window to get to the other settings? That's a UI/UX design that comes from Web apps, Chrome... yuck yuck yuck.
  1. v1:
    Spoiler

91501889_Screenshot2022-11-09at20_41_15.thumb.png.8c508f624eeb66174cf291a1d16d4f2b.png

2. v2:
    Spoiler

1385354928_Screenshot2022-11-09at20_41_08.thumb.png.d47e8497148e2ccc000b5f43c09923a9.png

3 hours ago, Senshi said:

I have to agree, I'm not a fan. Personally, I also dislike the new icons' aesthetic (the tool icons especially feel very childish and cheap to me), but that's entirely subjective. However, I also find certain things looking a lot less clear. 

I like the new icons because they are more vibrant and colorful. But they still are in the new flat design way that f* up the entire UI and I understand your point of view.

v1 made me think I was using a robust app :

Spoiler

710380218_Screenshot2022-11-09at20_53_49.png.c613aff27dc10edee79a820a73e5c5d1.png

While v2 make me feel I'm using a badly designed app with no Human Interface in mind. I don't know, that's the flat design that gives me the creeps...

Spoiler

1280740357_Screenshot2022-11-09at20_53_55.thumb.png.ba3557fa505dc9a14ec7ff28c3affcfa.png

8 minutes ago, Zaxonov said:
  • The Drop down menu is annoying. Clicking an icon was faster!

On the plus side, the dreaded "More" button is gone. I always had to click More because I could not remember what was set in there. Maybe because the window was getting a bit wide on smaller screens? There are two new export options: Webp and Jpeg XL.

4 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

On the plus side, the dreaded "More" button is gone. I always had to click More because I could not remember what was set in there. Maybe because the window was getting a bit wide on smaller screens? There are two new export options: Webp and Jpeg XL.

Yes, but now you have to scroll and resize the export window to see them all. Why not having those settings on the right of the other settings? Modern UI seems to be done for vertical screens... Like the new Systems Preferences in macOS Ventura. Everything is vertical and behind a scroll wall...

Hmm, I kinda like the flat UI design in the side panels, but I miss the color a bit. 

Though I see what people are saying about the icons feeling a bit more childish. 

Honestly, I'm kind of torn on the UI icons. I think some of the icons look better and some look worse:
- Pen, pencil, knife, ruler, transparency - these look good
- Contour, round corner, zoom - A bit of a step down but not too intrusive
- Gradient - better shape but vibrant color would be nice like the old one
- Dropper Tool - really hate it, should be redone

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

This portion reads clearer, imo, from the Layers panel. They grab attention in an appropriate way. Though somehow the icons read taller. That might be bothersome for some.

image.png.81231b5c8b0014de0cfdb9bd001f7682.png

vs

image.png.8caba367fd5859a8d4db48e7c35554a5.png

Top toolbar is fine. The Persona icons are even fine, but they're not as easily recognizeable and might be subjective. I think just takes getting used to. They look more cohesive with each other though.

Main toolbar is the one that is less cohesive and has a lot going on. Most of the problems go away with monochromatic, but I prefer the color actually because there's more variance.

Contour & Corner Tool stand out like a sore thumb.

image.png.cfe2eddde9465b65b780703249d1a698.png

4 hours ago, debraspicher said:

This portion reads clearer, imo, from the Layers panel. They grab attention in an appropriate way. Though somehow the icons read taller. That might be bothersome for some.

image.png.81231b5c8b0014de0cfdb9bd001f7682.png

vs

image.png.8caba367fd5859a8d4db48e7c35554a5.png

Top toolbar is fine. The Persona icons are even fine, but they're not as easily recognizeable and might be subjective. I think just takes getting used to. They look more cohesive with each other though.

Main toolbar is the one that is less cohesive and has a lot going on. Most of the problems go away with monochromatic, but I prefer the color actually because there's more variance.

Contour & Corner Tool stand out like a sore thumb.

image.png.cfe2eddde9465b65b780703249d1a698.png

Those new icons, I agree it's better for most of them. But not the stoke panel ones, imho.

image.png.2c958136d27b4b1e015357b2023e682d.png

Only the new Add Layer icon threw me. It looks like a battery meter or something. I like the old icons because I'm used to them, but I don't care enough to gripe. 😜 I'll be used to the new icons in a week or so. The new features are awesome and are the real point, IMO.

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video