You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo 2 installation directory??

16 minutes ago, Zero Zero said:

How do I uninstall them

Forget Control Panel, they don't appear there, just one of the benefits of the msix approach to life

Use Setting/Apps, click on what you want to dump then click Uninstall

NoControlPanel.png

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

Why was this major issue not noticed by any beta tester? Why is it such a surprise to Affinity support personnel that this is how version 2 now works? What does this imply about the beta test program used for version 2.

You might expect that the first thing noticed in a systematic beta test would be problems at installation. The second thing noticed would be problems in launching APhoto version 2 from an image browser like Faststone or IrfanView. Certainly these are the first things being noticed by a large number of users who were at first excited to be "upgrading" to version 2 but who now find they need a considerable level of technical knowledge to overcome dysfunctions built into version 2.

How many other problems will be discovered in the next few days that were missed during seriously inadequate beta testing of version 2? As has happened in past releases of version 1, we users are paying to beta test features that should never have escaped Serif headquarters.

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

For me this works to create a shortcut icon on desktop.
Then a new Window opens where are all icons displayed.
OS is Win 11 Pro

1053169219_ausfhren.jpg.07f68e563af0cae100fd0aaf1ea73012.jpg

But it would be nice in the future when I can choose by myself where the App would be installed, not the installation routine. Or is there a good reason why this is now so?

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

8 minutes ago, Uwe367 said:

For me this works to create a shortcut icon on desktop.
Then a new Window opens where are all icons displayed.
OS is Win 11 Pro

1053169219_ausfhren.jpg.07f68e563af0cae100fd0aaf1ea73012.jpg

But it would be nice in the future when I can choose by myself where the App would be installed, not the installation routine. Or is there a good reason why this is now so?

Still there is no *.EXE to be put in there...

1 minute ago, NemesisSensei said:

Still there is no *.EXE to be put in there...

You don´t need an .exe.
You create a new shortcut on the desktop from the icon which is displayed.
For me works.

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

So there are several issues...  These Affinity apps now appear to install into C:\Program Files\WindowsApps which is a hidden folder that we apparently cannot access, not even on our own systems.  Using a Registry hack, I was able to finally look inside that directory to find where the Affinity stuff now installs.  I have been able to successfully add these paths to Cartoon Animator and it will open the apps as expected.

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityDesigner2_2.0.0.1640_x64__3cqzy0nppv2rt\App\Designer.exe
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPhoto2_2.0.0.1640_x64__3cqzy0nppv2rt\App\photo.exe

However, my ON1 apps (Effects, Portrait AI, etc...) no longer recognize that Affinity is installed, and it no longer automagically installs as plugins for Affinity Photo.  

And unfortunately, the registry hack I followed to get access to WindowsApps now breaks all my other ON1 apps, and McAfee is now counting them as viruses.  So while the registry hack is my own fault, I still blame serif for making it necessary in order to find the actual executables.  

Bottom line, I am greatly displeased with Ver 2.0.

The batch file and/or shortcut does not work for applications looking for an EXE.  

I remember I bought Photo 1 in microsoft store it turned out to be "impossible" to start that from any other program because of some very locked in stuff microsoft does with apps bought from its store. WHen I say impossible, it required a lot of manual digging to locate strange id:s and files just to be able to locate where it was.. and it wasn't something that was easy to do.. because there is a lot of generically named files with lots of info in :D

I don't know if this is the case here, but just if anybody has this problem and bought throught microsoft store. Was a couple of years ago, one can hope microsoft changed that. 

I ended up buying a second license when it was on sale directly from Affinity, and their installer did it the right way and solved the problem.. never again an app from microsoft store

Edited by signoc
What i did to solve it

For programmes, plug-ins or similar that require a programme path, the following tip may help.

Third party integrations 

App Execution Aliases for all apps have been added (these names will work from anywhere, e.g. Run dialog, command line, etc):
If you need to browse for a physical file, they are located in 

%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\WindowsApps

called:

• AffinityDesigner2exe
  • AffinityPhoto2.exe
  • AffinityPublisher2.exe

They can be enabled (default) or disabled in Windows Settings (search for "App Execution Aliases")

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

8 minutes ago, Komatös said:

For programmes, plug-ins or similar that require a programme path, the following tip may help.

Third party integrations 

App Execution Aliases for all apps have been added (these names will work from anywhere, e.g. Run dialog, command line, etc):

called:

• AffinityDesigner2Beta.exe
  • AffinityPhoto2Beta.exe
  • AffinityPublisher2Beta.exe

They can be enabled (default) or disabled in Windows Settings (search for "App Execution Aliases")

Yep, this worked for me!

THX

7 minutes ago, Komatös said:

Third party integrations 

called:

• AffinityDesigner2Beta.exe
  • AffinityPhoto2Beta.exe
  • AffinityPublisher2Beta.exe

Unfortunately, while these will allow the start of these respective apps, other apps that need the path to the EXE will not accept these.  

image.thumb.png.30d9bac08fbb535d5786b3cd8ab25def.png

2 minutes ago, Grainger said:

Basically, I separate the operating system and the programs as far as possible from each other on their own partitions.

You can do that. You just can't control the exact path.

You can Move the installed application to a different drive. Settings > Apps & Features, select app, Move.

Or you can tell Windows to install new applications on a different drive. Settings > System > Storage, then change the location (drive) for installing new content.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

28 minutes ago, Grainger said:

It bothers me personally that I can no longer determine the path for the program installation myself.
Basically, I separate the operating system and the programs as far as possible from each other on their own partitions.

So, are you saying that Version 2 *must* be installed on the C drive?   I do the same thing that you do.  And on networks, I think the C drive can be off limits.

I wrote software for a very long time, and with some companies I dealt with there was a Quality Assurance person or department that I had to deal with.  Nothing would go into production unless the person or department approved.  At first, I wondered if all these Windows problems exist because Serif is probably an all Apple business but I see that even Mac and iPad users are having troubles too.

3 minutes ago, filoplume said:

So, are you saying that Version 2 *must* be installed on the C drive?  

No. See my post 2 above yours that I've quoted.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

35 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You can Move the installed application to a different drive. Settings > Apps & Features, select app, Move.

Or you can tell Windows to install new applications on a different drive. Settings > System > Storage, then change the location (drive) for installing new content.

That is slick.  I didn't know about that Walt!

1 minute ago, filoplume said:

That is slick.  I didn't know about that Walt!

I knew abut Moving after installation. I only learned about the second option today, myself :) 

-- Walt
PC:

38 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Just FYI Walt--and for reasons unknown--this does't always work. It fails on my system every time. I've tried rebooting, reinstalling, etc, before moving, and all three apps fail upon move. (In case it isn't clear: "We can't move Affinity Designer 2. The operation didn't complete correctly. Try again later. If you need it, the error code is 0x80073cf6.")

The intended drive is D:/ -- which is where my current Affinity 1.10 apps all live.

image.png.3969160ab214980059d84c2555348bbc.png