You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo 2 installation directory??

Even after changing the installation path to F: I can't open the directory "WindowsApps" to reach the path and therefore I can't tell DxO the path. I don't have permission and I am too dummy to know what to do now ... If there is anybody in this discussion who can tell me I'd very much appreciate this although I know that this is not subject of this discussion.

It's an odd thing to have happen at this point, having used Serif products since the day's off floppies. Having to hunt down the shortcut and also having no actual program icon makes me feel like I'm compiling my own Linux Distro. Lol

Edited by Oddmoore

@pjwaixingren

The Devs have uploaded this working solution so far, you have to link to that executable, it can be placed in a random folder of your choosing.

I have it like this and it works  (with everything else set to default settings - temporarily for testing purposes)

3DCoatGL64_tSbMQzyQot.png.ab898f98a1028766a61342fc598da9a4.png

For the question regarding why it is not working;
please read this statement regarding the new fileformat called MSIX.

Edited by myclay
linking to the official answers of the differences between V1 and V2 installations.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

Glad I downloaded the demo before making a purchase.  I was excited to upgrade... but as soon as I see an installer that doesn't let the user designate the install directory it puts me on RED ALERT.  I really don't think it's up to the developer to decide where I put my files.  I try to keep the system drive clear of applications and the fact that they are buying into the Windows cool-aid App philosophy is troubling.  Not buying today as I had planned.  Very disappointing. Please make a standard .exe installation package with the ability to choose your install directory.

You might try opening the .MSIX file in something like 7-ZIP and extracting the whole thing to a directory. 
My Affinity Photo 1 files are in D:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo.
I extracted the files from the .MSIX to D:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo2.

So far it's OK running from D:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo2\App\Photo.exe.  It's using my NIK collection (old ones) plugins just fine and is also using the current Topaz demo plugins with no complaint.  I was also able to open a file from Raw Therapee 5.8 via the 'Edit current image in external editor' option by pointing to the D:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo2\App\Photo.exe in the Preferences|External Editor|Custom command line option.  Also opened an image for editing from Exposure X5.  Just shouldn't have to resort to manual install hacks to get things where you want them.

1 hour ago, skua said:

Glad I downloaded the demo before making a purchase.  I was excited to upgrade... but as soon as I see an installer that doesn't let the user designate the install directory it puts me on RED ALERT.  I really don't think it's up to the developer to decide where I put my files.  I try to keep the system drive clear of applications and the fact that they are buying into the Windows cool-aid App philosophy is troubling.  Not buying today as I had planned.  Very disappointing. Please make a standard .exe installation package with the ability to choose your install directory.

You might try opening the .MSIX file in something like 7-ZIP and extracting the whole thing to a directory. 
My Affinity Photo 1 files are in D:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo.
I extracted the files from the .MSIX to D:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo2.

So far it's OK running from D:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo2\App\Photo.exe.  It's using my NIK collection (old ones) plugins just fine and is also using the current Topaz demo plugins with no complaint.  I was also able to open a file from Raw Therapee 5.8 via the 'Edit current image in external editor' option by pointing to the D:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo2\App\Photo.exe in the Preferences|External Editor|Custom command line option.  Also opened an image for editing from Exposure X5.  Just shouldn't have to resort to manual install hacks to get things where you want them.

You should read other threads regarding Affinity 2. Serif are going to be releasing a msi install asap.

On 11/10/2022 at 1:33 PM, BigOldFixer said:

For me setting the new location for application installs failed - its set to my application drive but still insists on installing to my system drive.

Moving also fails for me - I just get a 0x80073cf6 error and a message to try later.

Happy to sit this out - software uninstalled while I wait for a more traditional installer.

Moving fails for me too. Same (uninformative) error code as you got.

I've asked Serif for a refund even if I'll have to buy Affinity Photo 2 later at the full price. I'd rather pay full price for an app I can use than pay half price for an app I can't use.

Can we know why you did such a choice instead of the standardized Program Files folder that was working perfectly well ?

I am honestly not a fan of having the files of a program I paid for, being hidden and spread within unknown locations on my computer.

I can confirm that unzipping the install package with 7-zip and using the path to photo.exe works under Faststone viewer - so should work with others too. 

"C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo2\App\Photo.exe"

One problem with this is that updates will go wherever Serif is putting them, and won't get duplicated into this path.

We need the real solution -- go back to the install process of V1.

2 hours ago, Ken Nelson said:

We need the real solution -- go back to the install process of V1.

As has been mentioned many times now in many different posts, they are working on that. No exact ETA or many details but they hope it will be soon.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, Ken Nelson said:

We need the real solution

For linking from another application, the Windows App Execution Alias should be a good solution, but it requires that the other application supports modern Windows features. Some do, and some don't. And some of the ones that don't are willing to modernize their programming and support the.

But for those that don't support them, you can use the aflaunch.exe helper application, which should work from any application on Windows. So that is at least one "real solution" to that problem that you have right now.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I dont know why they decided to make this one of those new style ms apps, but for anything serious they're useless at this point, they're poorly supported difficult to manipulate for end users and come with many drawbacks over regular windows applications, personally I dont find being able to run it on my xbox or tablet sufficiently beneficial to be worth putting up with the drawbacks, and i suspect most windows users not just myself are likely to be displeased by all the issues that came with making it an "app" rather then a program, it may have been years but to ms that's not nearly enough to make ms apps a mature platform yet.

I spent my career in software.  Some people make choices on principle or philosophy -- MS Apps is the "right" direction.  Others on practicality.  Since there is no document method to have Affinity Photo 2 launches from applications like Faststone, they have failed.  Installation processes aren't trivial, but since V1 used traditional methods they certainly know how to make this work.  I wonder if they even bother to follow the forums...

22 minutes ago, Ken Nelson said:

Since there is no document method to have Affinity Photo 2 launches from applications like Faststone, they have failed.

Alternatively, since Faststone does not support a Windows function (App Execution Aliases), one could say Faststone has failed. Some applications support the aliases, others don't. Some of the developers for the ones that don't have recognized their error, and have added (or are adding) support for them. Perhaps Faststone will, too, if someone reports it to them.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

29 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Alternatively, since Faststone does not support a Windows function (App Execution Aliases), one could say Faststone has failed. Some applications support the aliases, others don't. Some of the developers for the ones that don't have recognized their error, and have added (or are adding) support for them. Perhaps Faststone will, too, if someone reports it to them.

It doesn't work with XnView either, so I have to use the full path to the exe location in WInApps. I may uninstall the and manually extract the files from the msix to my own location if msi installer doesn't make an appearance soon.

How can it be taking so long to produce the msi installer? Are Serif going to honour their commitment?

12 minutes ago, henryg said:

How can it be taking so long to produce the msi installer?

It's not just an installer. As I understand it, there's a whole infrastructure around sharing data between the apps (brushes, assets, styles, etc.) that's based in part on the sandboxing, and there's StudioLink in Publisher that uses it, too. There's also the updating process (checking for, and installing updates automatically when the user chooses).

15 minutes ago, henryg said:

It doesn't work with XnView either, so I have to use the full path to the exe location in WInApps.

the full path will change over time, so that's not a great solution. The better solution for now would be to use the aflaunch.exe program mentioned in the second post of the FAQ:

-- Walt
PC:

16 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It's not just an installer. As I understand it, there's a whole infrastructure around sharing data between the apps (brushes, assets, styles, etc.) that's based in part on the sandboxing, and there's StudioLink in Publisher that uses it, too. There's also the updating process (checking for, and installing updates automatically when the user chooses).

That's interesting to know. Serif might have done themselves a favour by being open and informative with users in this Forum. And posting reasonably regular updates. IMO their attitude stinks.

16 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

the full path will change over time, so that's not a great solution. The better solution for now would be to use the aflaunch.exe program mentioned in the second post of the FAQ:

I prefer to reference the location directly rather than use an intermediate launcher. Anyway, I'll reinstall manually if they delay much longer. BUT...

I find myself in a quandry: on the one hand I value the years of use from V1 even with all its attendant issues, and while I don't need anything V2 offers in its current form I would like to (purchase V2 to) help ensure the product continues; on the other hand, I regard the 14 December discount deadline with no later V1 upgrade discount as coercive which I very much do not like, so I may just stick with V1.

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Some of the developers for the ones that don't have recognized their error, and have added (or are adding) support for them. Perhaps Faststone will, too, if someone reports it to them.

I wrote a long e-mail to Faststone last week asking them again to support Affinity applications. I included numerous links to forum posts that indicated the considerable influence Faststone users have had in getting an MSI installer for Affinity 2.  So far Faststone has not responded. I hope other Faststone users in these forums will also write them. They do invite feedback at 
https://www.faststone.org/contactUs.htm

Faststone Corporation is headquartered in Calgary. The latest business address is a private home, so it is a tiny company, but one worthy of Serif's attention if they are seeking partners for development of features still missing in Affinity 2. 

Affinity Photo 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060