You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo v2 .exe file location

16 hours ago, Dan C said:

They have also confirmed that these are 'execution alias' .exe files, and some third party applications don't yet appear to be compatible with these - unfortunately it is down to each third party app to support execution alias .exe files when launching external applications.

Or maybe you can go back to using proper installers that put proper .exe files in "Program Files" so this isn't an issue. Why should all these other developers have to accommodate something you broke?

Very disappointed in Serif right now.

I know it's been suggested that we can move the installation to another drive via Windows' app settings, but I get an error code 0x80073d02 every time I attempt to do so—none of the fixes (short of reinstalling Windows) are working, so I've got the suite stuck on my tiny, tiny C drive.

18 hours ago, Scruff said:

Here's how I did it:

Open Affinity Photo 2

Open Task Manager and expand the Affinity Photo 2 entry

Right-click on Affinity Photo

Select 'Open file location'

On my PC this gives the location as C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPhoto2_2.0.0.1640_x64__3cqzy0nppv2rt\App\Photo.exe

This worked for me to add the exe so wacom could change the settings for the individual app. Can't say it's a solution for everyone, but it worked flawlessly in this instance.

The day before yesterday I posted the path to the exe file that I found worked in IrfanView, yesterday I replied to someone and suggested they try it, they replied and said it hadn't worked. I went to reply to explain why it wouldn't work in all cases and what to do, and found my maximum posts HAD BEEN LIMITED TO ONE A DAY.

Yesterday Affinity's suggested paths were updated from what they were, to the same as what I had posted the day before.

So what did I do wrong to have my posts limited, my disappointment has been expressed quite mildly compared to some others, and at least I tried to come up with constructive ideas.

I do agree with others that going down the app route is not being ahead of the game, it is a huge step backwards in desirability, the only people being impressed is MS in their quest to tighten up windows and monetise it.

I also agree with the comments that it is Serif's problem, as they made the choice of installation method.

And their hands are not tied, as they could very quickly (in minutes) create a photo2.exe file that does the same as the bat file previously mentioned, and that file could be placed in an affinity folder in the programme files folder which other programmes could then use as if the programme was installed properly as a programme.

It would require thorough testing on average machines to ensure all permissions/ownership requirements were met.

However, the best and most logical solution, which may just restore peoples trust and confidence, would be to re-package the application as a proper programme install, and give people the option to use either. That would also enable Serif which option is best for their business.

As I will probably be limited to one post again today, this will be my last post.

Mine is now working, however if a proper programme is available to download, I will be one of the first to take up :)

3 hours ago, Timepool said:

I know it's been suggested that we can move the installation to another drive via Windows' app settings, but I get an error code 0x80073d02 every time I attempt to do so—none of the fixes (short of reinstalling Windows) are working, so I've got the suite stuck on my tiny, tiny C drive.

This might be something that has changed in Windows 11, but at least Windows 10 used to allow specifying both the location of new Microsoft Store purchased apps, and move the location (drive) of already installed store apps. In Windows 11, it seems that it is possible to only specify path for NEW (store/msix packaged) apps that get installed, and this happens as follows:

image.png.959e2cf2e3d78c9688ef221bb82c480e.png

...so uninstalling first, then specifying a new location and reinstalling, would allow installing to a different drive. There are  possibly 3rd party utilities that allow moving of already installed apps, but it seems that this is no longer supported in the operating system (possibly because it might break references to app executables).

(I assume but have not tested that the setting above only affects the location where any new store and msix extension apps get installed, which would be desired because traditional installers allow the user to specify the installation location.)

• Staff
11 minutes ago, Treehunter said:

This guy has the answer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzJlTi8b4Rs

This will break every time that the application updates, so be aware you will have to redo this regularly 

Microsoft's MSIX technology stores the exe in a hidden folder that includes the version number, and that version (currently 2.0.0.1640) will change with future versions as we release patches

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Way back when Bill Gates wasn’t even a twinkle in his mother’s eye, we used to code with a purpose (remember Algol, Fortran, Cobol, punched cards and the like?). As well as advancing technology, the purpose of our endeavours was to make life easier for the end user, giving them something they needed, something they didn’t know they needed or to improve what they already had.

Given the length of this thread and some of the anguished comments therein, can someone at Serif explain what the purpose is of the switch from a .exe format to .msix and how the end user benefits?

• Staff
4 hours ago, Sangoma said:

found my maximum posts HAD BEEN LIMITED TO ONE A DAY

I can confirm that any new users on the Affinity Forums have a post limit for the initial period following creating an account - this is an anti-spam measure that is applied to any new Affinity account & this is the post limit you hit.

I can assure you that no specific post you have made in this time has caused a 'posting restriction' and no members of the Affinity Staff have manually restricted your account, though I can certainly understand why it may appear this way.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

1 minute ago, Dan C said:

I can confirm that any new users on the Affinity Forums have a post limit for the initial period following creating an account - this is an anti-spam measure that is applied to any new Affinity account & this is the post limit you hit.

I can assure you that no specific post you have made in this time has caused a 'posting restriction' and no members of the Affinity Staff have manually restricted your account, though I can certainly understand why it may appear this way.

Thanks for that, it seemed strange as I had made several posts in the first day.
I have just posted my solution, hope it might work for others

21 hours ago, Sangoma said:

Somebody might like to try this.

Create a directory called Affinity in the Programme Files directory, and copy this into it (it doesn't have to go there, it runs from anywhere)

It has worked for me on two machines I have tried it on

How have you build that exe file and what does it contain?

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

There is a way to convert a batch file into an exe using the on-board tools of Windows 10/11.
Officially with the "IExpress Wizard" tool from Microsoft that is included in the OS.

Start iexpress.exe with admin rights (located in "C:\Windows\System32\")

[x] = "Create a new Self Extraction Directive file." -> Next

[x] = "Extract files and run an installation command." -> Next

Assign any name -> Next

[x] = "No prompt" at "Confirmation prompt" -> Next

[x] = "Do not display a license" at "License agreement" -> Next

In the "Packaged files" section, click "Add" and select the desired BAT/CMD file. -> Next

Now you get to "Install Program to Launch", there in the "Install Program" field insert "cmd /c", followed by the path to the above BAT/CMD file (example: "emptyrecyclebin.bat" => "cmd /c C :\Path\emptyrecyclebin.bat" - put the file in quotation marks or use the appropriate paths/names!).

"Post Install Command" stays on "<None>" -> Next

[x] = "Hidden" in the "Show window" section -> Next

[x] = "No message" at "Finished message" -> Next

On the "Package Name and Options" page, click "Browse" to specify the path and name of the EXE file to be created.

[x] = "Hide File Extracting Progress Animation from User"

[ ] = "Store files using Long File Name inside Package" -> Next

[x] = "No restart" at "Configure restart" -> Next

(Now you have the option to create an SED config file if you want to load the settings again later.) -> Next

"Create package" -> Next

Finished! If everything went well, the EXE should be in the desired directory.

Translated with Google Translator from hier

On 11/10/2022 at 12:07 PM, Scruff said:

Here's how I did it:

Open Affinity Photo 2

On my PC this gives the location as C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPhoto2_2.0.0.1640_x64__3cqzy0nppv2rt\App\Photo.exe

Thanks, I was finally able to access Affinity v2 icons to con figure properly DOpus docks.

• Staff
38 minutes ago, Merde said:
On 11/10/2022 at 11:07 AM, Scruff said:

Here's how I did it:

Open Affinity Photo 2

Thanks, I was finally able to access Affinity v2 icons to con figure properly DOpus docks.

DO NOT DO THIS, it will only work till the first patch, when the path to the EXE will move (note the 2.0.0.1640 in the middle of that file path)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

6 hours ago, aaturner said:

Way back when Bill Gates wasn’t even a twinkle in his mother’s eye, we used to code with a purpose (remember Algol, Fortran, Cobol, punched cards and the like?). As well as advancing technology, the purpose of our endeavours was to make life easier for the end user, giving them something they needed, something they didn’t know they needed or to improve what they already had.

Given the length of this thread and some of the anguished comments therein, can someone at Serif explain what the purpose is of the switch from a .exe format to .msix and how the end user benefits?

IMHO the purpose is to make money for Microsoft.  I'm pretty sure they get a cut on everything sold through their "App Store" so they'd like every Windows application to be purchased through that channel.  To that end, they'll try to herd developers into switching to their new setup package, using some combination of carrots and sticks.    They'll tell you it's about security, or convenience, or something else, but in reality there's probably no benefit to anyone but Microsoft.   

4 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

DO NOT DO THIS, it will only work till the first patch, when the path to the EXE will move (note the 2.0.0.1640 in the middle of that file path)

Actually I did something more - I've extracted icons from the exe file, so I think I will be fine 🙂

For anyone that would like to work around issues with launching our apps from third-party applications (e.g. DxO, ACDSee, etc), I have written a launcher utility that you can place anywhere on your system, and it will take care of calling our apps, with any required arguments.

Usage: aflaunch -a name -b build [args]

-a name    : One of the following
    Designer2
    Photo2 [Default]
    Publisher2

-b build   : One of the following
    Retail [Default]
    Beta
    MSStore

args       : [Optional] All remaining arguments to be passed onto the target application (must be last)

The -a and -b arguments are optional, so you can ignore them unless you want to launch a different app, or the beta or MS Store versions.

I have signed the exe as well, so it will have a valid digital signature.

Please let me know how you get on with this.

Updated: 12/11/2022 @ 11:04am UTC. Now deals with spaces in filenames.

aflaunch.zip

8 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

This will break every time that the application updates, so be aware you will have to redo this regularly 

Microsoft's MSIX technology stores the exe in a hidden folder that includes the version number, and that version (currently 2.0.0.1640) will change with future versions as we release patches

This mean that we will have to redo every shortcut we have on the desk, the taskbar, stream deck, etc every time there is an update!!! 

• Staff
Just now, myclay said:

how would that alaunch.exe be used when there is no way to add those arguments in the other program?

we can change it so that Photo is the dafault for a as well then they will just pass the filename as the only parameter. I think that would work fine

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff
3 minutes ago, jp.rioux said:

This mean that we will have to redo every shortcut we have on the desk, the taskbar, stream deck, etc every time there is an update!!! 

Yes that is correct.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd