You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo v2 .exe file location

Thank you Walt & Phil. I created a .bat file as you suggested and although PhotoSupreme 7 asked for a .exe file I managed to persuade the app to save the .bat file by invoking "all file types" in the dropdown menu. It worked, but it seems to me that it is a remarkably clumsy workaround that would be beyond the tech abilities of people like me, were it not for your able assistance. I hope and trust that Dan and his guru colleagues can resolve this issue and make the process a lot simpler. Sometimes, if it aint bust (as in AP v1), don't fix it! Thank you again, gentlemen.

I really do not like it when operating systems or applications hide stuff on MY system.
So quite awhile ago I installed the Take Ownership Registry Hack.
After installing that you have a right-click option which says Take Ownership.
Run that and you can read the entire contents of any folder.
I originally installed it because I installed fonts from the MS store (simply to test, don't do this) and this is where the fonts are located.
(so if you like to back-up your store-installed fonts this is where they are - but almost all of the same fonts are available in the Supplemental Font Packages which install in the usual Fonts folder)

Instructions here:
How to Access the WindowsApps Folder in Windows
https://www.maketecheasier.com/access-windowsapps-folder-windows-10/

6 hours ago, Phil_rose said:

This is so confusing for me. I did as you said, as shown. I go to Exposure and Export and try to find the bat file but, of course, it doesn't show up because it's not an EXE. Am I doing this wrong? Thanks!

2022-11-09 1665 Screenshot.jpg

2022-11-09 1664 Screenshot.jpg

2022-11-09 1666 Screenshot.jpg

I think your file is named .bat.txt at that moment, because Windows is hiding the extension since longer time now.

System                                                              Notebook Lenovo P50

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x                              CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ

RAM: 64 GB                                                   RAM: 32 GB

GPU: RTX 3080 TI                                         GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4 GB

SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB                       SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB

OS: Windows 11 Edu x64                               OS: Windows 10 x64

TFT: 1 x Samsung C49RG94SSU                  TFT: 2 x Lenovo

I updated today as well from the Affinity web site and noticed a different file format, not the usual exe file. I followed the link posted here by LibreTraining and it worked in terms of making the folder visible. However, after redirecting the path in Irfanview Thumbnails to access AP, nothing happens. It does work however going from Capture One to AP. Any ideas?

Thanks.

A brief update to my previous post. I also use FastRawvieur to preview my raw files and select those to open in APhoto. I changed the path to reflect the new installation, click to load the file into AP but nothing happens. Please verify.

Thanks

10 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

There's a FAQ about that: 

However, you may find it necessary to create a small .bat file and have the .bat file invoke the app execution alias. Perhaps something like this:

start /b affinityphoto2.exe %1
exit

This is like installing a very, very old DOS game in Windows from the late 80s and 90s.  The install program should do all the work and not the user.  And will my hundreds of dollars of plug-ins (brushes, styles, macros, assets...) that I have purchased for all three previous versions work with V2 ones?

3 minutes ago, filoplume said:

And will my hundreds of dollars of plug-ins (brushes, styles, macros, assets...) that I have purchased for all three previous versions work with V2 ones?

They should work.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

28 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

They should work.

Thanks Walt.  But after reading about all the problems getting V2 to work, it is going to be a while before I purchase them.  I have no time for this, and maybe not the need.  Will probably miss the intro pricing.

I assume V2 works alongside V1.

Wow this is confusing.  After installing and using AP V2 for a while, I closed it, came back later and literally could not figure out how to start it, or where it was installed.  Ran the installer again and clicked "launch", then used Task Manager to find the .exe and pin it to my task bar.  Still don't know how to add it to the Start menu.   

9 minutes ago, jimh12345 said:

After installing and using AP V2 for a while, I closed it, came back later and literally could not figure out how to start it,

It's a Windows application, so you'll find it in the Start menu, under A. Depending on your Windows release, you'll also find options for Pinning it in the Start Menu. 

If you want it on the Desktop, try the suggestions in this FAQ: 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

16 minutes ago, eqyizo said:

Just chiming in that I have a similar issue. I want to link certain settings on my wacom tablet to individual apps, but since I can't find the location, I can't do that.

Me neither.  I didn't think of that.  It is something I need to do too.  I can't find where everything was installed to.  I switched to have all apps installed on my E drive but I do not see anything, even when I am showing hidden items.  Rats.

16 hours ago, aaturner said:

Good day all. Could someone please tell me where the exe file for AP v2 is located? As I have been doing successfully for years with AP v1, I would like to launch the v2 app from Photo Supreme v7 DAM, but the app needs the location of the .exe file, and search as I might I cannot find it. Grateful for any help.

Many thanks. Andrew Turner

As mentioned in another thread, this worked for me from IrfanView   C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPhoto2.exe

replacing the [username} with your username in windows (take out the square brackets as well)

13 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Apparently an additional issue is that some applications (such as the one Phil is using) don't allow the user to specify a .bat file, only a .exe file.

Yes, Programms like Photo Mechanics Plus only accepts a .exe file.

When I point direct to the AffinityPhoto2.exe file (I found under the hidden Folder AppData/Local/WindowsApps/SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPhoto2_...) I got the Error: "The system cannot access the file".

18 minutes ago, bildbaendiger said:

Yes, Programms like Photo Mechanics Plus only accepts a .exe file.

When I point direct to the AffinityPhoto2.exe file (I found under the hidden Folder AppData/Local/WindowsApps/SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPhoto2_...) I got the Error: "The system cannot access the file".

Try the one I posted above, for me it eliminated that error.

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPhoto2.exe

26 minutes ago, Sangoma said:

Try the one I posted above, for me it eliminated that error.

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPhoto2.exe

I did not recognized, that there is another .exe file, but it does not work for me, the same error: "The system cannot access the file". Maybe the problem is, that I am working on a local account, not on a administrator account. This was also a big problem during the installation (the Serif packages could only be installed as administrator, not as local user).

I experience the same problem. I cannot "Edit with" in Photo Mechanic Plus, I get the error: "The system cannot access the file".  Have not tried the Capture One.

It seems there is a workaround, but that is really not user friendly/oriented. Fingers crossed that Affinity solves this.

Other than that, cheers and congrats on the new suite. Price/performance is fantastic.

Same problem here.Many programs only let you select a .exe file. DXO Photolab for example as well as hardware like the Stream Deck.

A rapid response to this issue would be much appreciated. At the least it will prompt refund requests and delay users upgrading as it totally breaks peoples workflow.

• Staff

Our developers have been investigating this, and have confirmed the following:

Certain applications do not like using the generic %LocalAppData% path, instead please try the following:

• Affinity Photo V2:
    C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPhoto2.exe

• Affinity Designer V2:
    C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityDesigner2.exe
  • Affinity Publisher V2:
    C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPublisher2.exe

They have also confirmed that these are 'execution alias' .exe files, and some third party applications don't yet appear to be compatible with these - unfortunately it is down to each third party app to support execution alias .exe files when launching external applications.

I hope this clears things up!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

35 minutes ago, Ian- said:

Capture One is not impacted by not being able to access the .exe file as it relies on an application registering itself as an image editor which automatically registers it in C1's "Open With" plugin.

I have seen the same issue on capture one forum. Unfortunately it seems that open or edit with doesn't work.

24 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Certain applications do not like using the generic %LocalAppData% path, instead please try the following:

• Affinity Photo V2:
    C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsAppsAffinityPhoto2.exe

• Affinity Designer V2:
    C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\AffinityDesigner2.exe

• Affinity Publisher V2:
    C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\AffinityPublisher2.exe

They have also confirmed that these are 'execution alias' .exe files, and some third party applications don't yet appear to be compatible with these - unfortunately it is down to each third party app to support execution alias .exe files when launching external applications.

What's the reason for installing the app like this instead of in the Program Files folder like normal? Is it just meant to be pseudo-DRM?

If so, putting the onus on other apps to support execution alias files is kinda frustrating.

Edited by yaywalter

39 minutes ago, Dan C said:

• Affinity Photo V2:
    C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPhoto2.exe

• Affinity Designer V2:
    C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityDesigner2.exe

• Affinity Publisher V2:
    C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPublisher2.exe

Win 10 Pro 21H1

These paths you give simply are not present on the system. Can you go back to your developers and maybe check on a "normal" users system?

It has been suggested elsewhere that you need to take full control over certain folders which I would guess seriously impairs security for "normal" users.