You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Discount for AP&AD owners when upgrading to V2

I have V1 Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer (I don't have an Affinity Publisher). Will users who have AP and AD licenses get a discount on upgrades from V1 to V2?

I just didn't buy the entire Affinity bundle as I never needed a Affinity Publisher. I would like to point out that I have 2/3 programs from Serif. A discount when purchasing V2 upgrade for V1 users would be a nice appreciation.

I use Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer for fun, it's my hobby in my spare time :)

I'd like to throw in my 2 cents here.

Firstly I'd like to say how much I like the Affinity products, I'm super happy I bought them and often recommend them to other people.
I've been very excited to here that a new major version has come out and I can see some really nice updates (although maybe not enough warrant a new major version, but that's just my opinion).

I certainly think the new version is well worth the money if you haven't already bought V1, especially on the current offer and the lack of disgusting subscription.

As serif seems to be a good company I imagine V1 will still be supported but new features will only target V2. (so V1 will be left behind, its only natural in software development)

Therefore, please consider rewarding your Loyal customers with a small upgrade discount.

Thanks for listening

On 11/9/2022 at 7:40 PM, PassiveAggressor said:

I'd like to throw in my 2 cents here.

Firstly I'd like to say how much I like the Affinity products, I'm super happy I bought them and often recommend them to other people.
I've been very excited to here that a new major version has come out and I can see some really nice updates (although maybe not enough warrant a new major version, but that's just my opinion).

I certainly think the new version is well worth the money if you haven't already bought V1, especially on the current offer and the lack of disgusting subscription.

As serif seems to be a good company I imagine V1 will still be supported but new features will only target V2. (so V1 will be left behind, its only natural in software development)

Therefore, please consider rewarding your Loyal customers with a small upgrade discount.

Thanks for listening

Yes, rewarding the loyal customers will be asweesome

Mac App Store doesn't support discounted upgrades, it's standard practice to just have an upgrade level discount when a new version launches as a workaround so people don't have to pay full price.

Think back to before the MAS existed, it's not like a new version of application would be 40% off for new users and 50% off for existing ones. I'd be full price for new users and 25-50% for people with a previous version.

Another comment from Serif:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I virtually never post to this sort of thing, but let me say that the Affinity apps have allowed me to do a few unusual jobs more easily than other, competing apps.  Plus, they are far cheaper than their competition.  I also deeply appreciate not being asked to pay a subscription to use them.  Thus, I am upgrading to version 2 of all 3 apps.

1 hour ago, astromedia said:

Do we know how frequently those upgrade versions will be released and how long the limited-time discount will be up?

Well, V1 lasted for 7 years or so. But no, we do not know how many releases there will be in V2 before it becomes time for Serif to release V3. It may not be as long as V1 was. But generally I would say if the applications provide enough usefulness, to you, for the cost then buy them. If not, don't.

Nor do we know how long the current discount will last. They will probably give some warning via social media, or possibly via email if you've signed up for their marketing emails via your Affinity Store account.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, manikanta said:

Yes, rewarding the loyal customers will be asweesome

Contributions from hell. Loyal customers have already been rewarded! If you bought version 1 a few years ago, then you got a very good product and many free updates.
If you bought version 1 last week, then you got a very good product and a very good follow-up offer. (But you are not a loyal customer.)

Why the hell should new customers pay more just to make old customers feel better?

Ich hoffe, ich erlebe es noch, dass die deutschen Anführungszeichen in Affinity Publisher korrekt funktionieren.

50 minutes ago, Optische Ausrichtung said:

Why the hell should new customers pay more just to make old customers feel better?

As a social and marketing psychologist, I just see, that you really don't know how people's minds work. Appreciation of loyality is the "magic" word. Most companies have grown on existing customers, not on new ones, so they deserve more appreciation... 

As someone that never saw the features implemented that they wanted for certain popular game dev file format support and proper channel editing, and no indication that that has changed with v2 as well as it being a limited time upgrade discount which hints at high pressure sales.  And support only for Apple products... Definitely not inclined to give further support.

The upgrade discount should not be limited time for past purchasers.

8 hours ago, Azazaraa said:

I just see, that you really don't know how people's minds work

I know very well how people's minds work and why they write a bunch of nonsense on Internet forums. I wanted to draw attention to this point and I am happy to repeat myself: years of free updates are a very high appreciation of existing customers. All customers will now enjoy a good deal on version 2, and the understandable reasons have been explained by Affinity elsewhere.

Side note: Turmoil* may be the business of the many participants who have only been logged into this forum for a few hours. However, I can see no evidence of years of Affinity product use or other signs of loyalty among these participants. This does not make the arguments worse, but it is noticeable.

* I am not a native speaker and hope this is the right word.

Ich hoffe, ich erlebe es noch, dass die deutschen Anführungszeichen in Affinity Publisher korrekt funktionieren.

22 hours ago, erutan said:

Mac App Store doesn't support discounted upgrades

Incorrect.

17 hours ago, Optische Ausrichtung said:

"Why the hell" should loyal customers who have invested a lot of money in the company's products, supported them, spent time sharing bugs so they can be fixed, and told their friends and colleagues to buy their products, pay the same as a new customer, who has shown the company exactly zero support?

You don't 'reward' loyal customers by discontinuing their purchases overnight, bring out a brand new product, and price it the same for new, and existing customers.

I think the price is fair for people in developed countries, but here in Brazil, a less developed country, this price is too high for us is (in a loose conversion) like the suite costs more than US$ 400,00. I'm not talking about exchange rates, is an example about the impact in our budget due to our undervalued currency

1 hour ago, depizol said:

like the suite costs more than US$ 400,00.

What are you talking about? ALL applications together for all platforms you can buy for just 120 euros, which is 122 dollars. When you're having a business it's even cheaper when having more users, than it's only 108 euros per person for ALL apps on ALL platforms.

I'm talking about the cost of living here compared to the cost of living there. Our wages are very low and the price doesn't sound cheap for our reality. Wasn't a literal conversion. Let me try to explain again with another example: according to Google the minimum wage in Netherlands is 1635,00 EUR, in Brazil is near 220,00 EUR, so the 120 EUR has completely different impact in your budget than in mine. Thats why i said that "it costs more than 400 USD" its just an exaggeration to point out how expensive this kind of stuff is here.

While I agree that a loyalty discount would be fair, I think that Affinity has more than proven their commitment to us through V1’s (1) price point, (2) performance, (3) tutorial videos, (4) feature updates, and (5) provision of a permanent license without subscription.

Affinity and DaVinci (along with a recent find for photo management, Excire) are my team of Adobe killers. $99 dollars is an unimaginably low price to pay for this suite of tools.  Our continued support of their efforts makes that possible.

Paying $100 every 5 or so years seems the least we could do for products that Adobe would charge *checks notes…$54x60mos…* $3240.

Plus, the Affinity’s Universal License works across Windows, Apple, and iOS.  (I’m still skeptical that I read that correctly. I’m pretty sure I paid separately for iOS last time.)

V1 owners are the primary audience for V2, since Adobe’s marketing budget makes them the Starbucks of design software. New customers will continue to discover the benefits of Affinity, but until then, the 40% discount is pretty much for us.

So that’s my two cents, as a grateful and satisfied customer (who admittedly sounds like a shill).

On 11/9/2022 at 1:48 PM, GoodLuck said:

I have V1 Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer (I don't have an Affinity Publisher). Will users who have AP and AD licenses get a discount on upgrades from V1 to V2?

I just didn't buy the entire Affinity bundle as I never needed a Affinity Publisher. I would like to point out that I have 2/3 programs from Serif. A discount when purchasing V2 upgrade for V1 users would be a nice appreciation.

I use Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer for fun, it's my hobby in my spare time :)

Same here also just use Photo and Designer for my hobby

On 11/10/2022 at 10:29 PM, Optische Ausrichtung said:

Contributions from hell. Loyal customers have already been rewarded! If you bought version 1 a few years ago, then you got a very good product and many free updates.
If you bought version 1 last week, then you got a very good product and a very good follow-up offer. (But you are not a loyal customer.)

Really?

I've been using Affinity (Photo only) for a few years now. I got fed up with paying the license for Photoshop. But not getting a bonus for being an existing customer means I will probably not go to V2.

In fact when it comes time to change I will be looking at the alternatives again. If I had bought V1 a few weeks ago I would be fuming.

I see it as a trade-in. When I buy a new car I don't throw the old one on a scrap-heap...I trade it in! The existing product should be worth something!

• 2 months later...

Most of this discussion is somewhat off-topic to the OP question, ie the fact he has 2 of the 3, and if there is an individual upgrade discount. 

At any rate, while I think maintaining the sale price for people who upgrade beyond January 25th would be advantageous (inc on individual apps), even though it is a lot for me on a disability pension for the whole package, having thought about it I know I would regret it later if I didn't upgrade for various reasons, and I'm happy to support their work after having received free updates for so long. If it was in the budget, even the full price would be worth it, even if Publisher wouldn't get as much use.

An interesting aspect to me is the universal license with iPad, and since I have a 1st gen iPad Pro on which Affinity Photo works great, this should be interesting. Going through the list of improvements, what I am trying to determine is what is not mentioned; under-the-hood refactoring, which can be as great or greater amount of work to do, and there is some indication of this in the feature list, and from reviews I've heard the Raw development in Photo has greatly improved. What I am looking to see is improvements in Channel and Mask workflow, in V1 there are some clunkiness that makes it much less versatile compared to Photoshop. I saw you can now combine masks with boolean operators, this is great, I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Don't estimate the amount of work which has gone on in the backend, which has huge ramification for all the apps.

I bought the v1 suite in 2022 and that gave me an free update-span of 6 months.
Then I'm to pay for the product over again to get next update.
It makes me feel like I draw the short straw.
So, planned to wait as I really don't do that much graphic work right now.

But, a book-project turning up on the horizon, so bit the bullet and purchased v2. (as I I thought I'd do it sooner or later)
Anyway: I feel the Affinity-team strive to make a good product for a very reasonable money, so cudos.

• 1 month later...