You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Official Affinity Photo (V2) Tutorials

James:

Ive always enjoyed the Affinity Photo Video Tutorials. You do a much better job than A@0&3! When you brought out V2 I updated. Yes, you've added some valuable shortcuts and streamlined tool layout.

For around 5 years your customers have been begging for a DAM product. I was sooooo hoping AP V2 would at least bridge some of that gap. I often shoot in my  studio using the same backdrop, same exposure and same studio light set up. Prior to moving the AP, I would make adjustments across a group of raw image files using something like Bridge. Adjustments like exposure, file info (metadata edits, copyright notice, etc) saturation, white balance and the like. I still don't see anyway to perform these initial camera raw edits to multiple files at once in AP V2.

I've explored the File/New Batch Job tool. Although it allows for the use of Macros, who wants to write a custom macro overtime editing a group of Raw files? What am I missing? Sure appreciate your insights.

MacBook Pro 15", Mid 2012, AP V 1.10.5

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi James, could you do a tutorial about editing astro photos in APhoto v2 for iPad?

I know that the astro persona is currently only available for the desktop versions.
Since Serif promised us the full experience on the iPad, when will it come to the iPad (Pro) version?

But since it's not yet available for the iPad, could you do a tutorial about editing single astro photos?

• 3 months later...

Are there any tutorials that do not assume that you know loads about the recent versions? I used the old serif pageplus and it was pretty straightforward. This new software doesn't even to do some of the basic things. It seems like you need to go through about 15 different functions where one used to do it. Its ridiculous having to watch 30 minute tutorials on how to import a picture or make an edge slightly blurry. 

3 different apps and not one of them seem user friendly at all.

1 hour ago, WB1 said:

Are there any tutorials that do not assume that you know loads about the recent versions? I used the old serif pageplus and it was pretty straightforward. This new software doesn't even to do some of the basic things. It seems like you need to go through about 15 different functions where one used to do it. Its ridiculous having to watch 30 minute tutorials on how to import a picture or make an edge slightly blurry. 

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I don't understand your problem. Blurring hard edges is excellent with the Blur Brush tool or with the Smudge Brush tool.

And importing images works if you want to add an image as a new layer to an existing image via menu File -> Place... or drag & drop.

Photo_W6CwAZ0vYw.thumb.gif.7ca4c0aba0db20e2bb27b13ebcaa4988.gif

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

• Staff
On 7/30/2023 at 3:39 PM, WB1 said:

Hi @WB1, the Photo video tutorial on placing images is about five minutes in length, and only because it goes through all the various options you have. If you're not bothered with them, simply drag-dropping images onto the document will place them (or you can use File>Place).

None of the official video tutorials are as long as thirty minutes to my knowledge, perhaps you are watching third party videos? I believe the longest video on the Affinity Photo channel is around 18 minutes long, and only because it is an in-depth workflow video on HDR editing and exporting. Most tool-based videos are on average three to five minutes in length.

Nevertheless, the Affinity apps shouldn't be any more particularly complicated than other similar software (or indeed, the previous Plus range)—have you checked the in-app help? It's rather "old school" in its approach, giving you a searchable list of books and topics that provide straightforward instructions on using a tool or feature.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

• 2 months later...

Would be nice to have a tutorial for the conversion of scanned or digitised (DSLR) raw images and then to expand the tutorial to encompass the processing of them into acceptable positives, given that many more people are beginning to see the benefits of using digital/mirrorless cameras to digitise their old 35mm/120 negatives.

Edited by MehalD
spelling correction

• 3 weeks later...

Hi James.
I watched the tutorial RAW development and until now I did not know what the function overlay paint and erase gives. A great thing. Thank you for this.
But I wonder why in the self-defined overlays some functions, for example clarity, are not available, but these can be used only in the master. Is there a reason for this?

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.