You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Official Affinity Photo (V2) Tutorials

• Staff
2 hours ago, Pyanepsion said:

When will the videos be available in languages other than English?

One of the reasons we have migrated to YouTube for our video tutorials is that the in-built auto translate is quite good. If you select closed captions your language should be auto-detected, or you can choose your preferred language for the captions.

This Youtube feature was pretty poor when I saw it a few years ago.
You are right. It is now very understandable. Thanks, @KateM, for the clarification.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

@James Ritson Alright, I tried for a few more days but the YouTube Playlists are still annoying to use, very much not user friendly and confusing. I just don't think they were designed to be used as an overview like the old tutorial page on Affinity Website was. 

Nothing wrong with using YouTube as a host and the contents at all. I just gave up trying to find my way through these. I have to be careful with my time and can't afford wasting it with a system much worse than the one we had before.

Thanks for the great tutorials, though!

Great videos, thank you!

For the future perhaps: on the Non-Destructive Raw video, the verbiage around RAW Layer Linked might confuse some people. You say that the linked RAW image needs to be available in its linked location if the RAW file needs to be "re-developed." However, it needs to be available even just to re-open the file.

So it would be better to make clear that the afphoto file will no longer open if the linked RAW file is moved, deleted, or renamed. And skip the term "re-developed."

@JamesR_Affinity 

Dear James,

Could you please advise what I should do with new masks not clipping to a selected adjustment layer by default (in Affinity 2) - as Affinity Help seems to suggest? They do clip to pixel layers but not adjustment layers. Dragging each new mask I create to each selected adjustment layer manually is extremely cumbersome! Until I can do this automatically I can't really meaningfully use Affinity 2 ...

Many thanks,

Gary

3 minutes ago, debraspicher said:

Love your tutorials and the energy you bring to your videos.

I have to agree. James's videos are some of the best tutorials I've seen.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I can't find anything on printing with custom paper profiles, I think that the Photo 2 to printer interface is broken! Unable to set and save selected options eg. select colorsync custom profile, click ok and then look at printer info and it is still automatic for paper profile, change the paper scaling and orientation then change something else and scaling/orientation have reverted.

Having to export to Lightroom to print! 27" iMac i7 64gb ram macOS Ventura.

18 hours ago, 58volts said:

I can't find anything on printing with custom paper profiles

Please post here: forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/5-affinity-on-desktop-questions-macos-and-windows

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas!

I wanted to sneak in another video before the new year, so here you go:

HDR/EDR technology has actually been present in Affinity Photo for a few years now (since around 1.7 I believe), but with V2 introducing JPEG-XL export I thought it was about time to do a proper video on high dynamic range editing. This video was shot in HDR and mastered to 1600 nits of peak brightness, so if you have a display capable of that brightness (for example, the M1 Pro/Max MacBook displays), you're in for a visual treat! For those viewing on SDR displays, the content will be tone mapped and will of course lose a bit of its impact...

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

James Ritson,

Het is een geweldige video over de HDR. Mijn Engels is niet zo goed (ben 80 jaar) de video gaat snel, dus zou het handig zijn om de handelingen op papier te hebben. Beter nog de handelingen in het Nederlands te hebben. Men denkt dat alle Nederlanders Engels spreken, kan je vertellen dat dit niet zo is. Ben ook al lang op zoek naar een Nederlandse uitleg over Photo en Designer. Het is voor mij heel vaak puzzelen om alles voorelkaar te krijgen. Ik wens je het beste voor 2023. Hopelijk komt er een Nederlandse hulp.

Mvg, Wim

• Staff

Happy New Year all!

I've just made a quick update to the Command Controller iPad video—it now reflects the change made in 2.0.3 where the toggle has been moved to the Document menu.

James Ritson,

Er is meerdere keren gevraagd om een Nederlandse uitleg. Ik vind dat Serif dit eigenlijk verplicht is aan de vele Nederlandse en Belgische Vlamingen. Het wordt verschillende talenten gemaakt, geef ons dan een PDF in onze taal, denk dat dit een kleine moeite is.

A Dutch explanation has been requested several times.  I think that Serif actually owes this to the many Dutch and Belgian Flemings.  It is made by different talents, then give us a PDF in our language, think this is a small effort .

• Staff

I've added Elevation Rendering Workflow to the list—this one focuses on a particular architecture workflow but may be useful for anyone wanting to see more examples of the flood select tool, masking and cloning layers...