You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Measurements - so close but yet so far

I'm liking the measurements tool so far, but I often find that when I'm measuring elements of a layout I'm often concerned with more than one measurement at a time.

It would be nice if the measurements taken could be contained within something like a 'live measurement layer group' (I'm so into the warp group thing now) that is only visible when using the measure tool. This would allow you to have more than one measurement visible/editable/deletable at a time, and the possibility of saving/persisting this layer for further use or baking the 'live measurement layer group' into actual editable primitives (shapes, lines, text).

Just my 2¢.

On 11/9/2022 at 5:45 AM, jussi said:

well, I worked with many CAD / BIM packages and the measurement tool does not create permanent entity. unless, you used a tool called dimension. so I guess, that's what you ask.

Do the measurements stay visible in a PDF export? 

On 11/9/2022 at 6:21 AM, JacquesMiov said:

Seems like some welcome improvements all round... and a welcome bundle - so well done!

However in Designer the new measurement tool:

"Measurements are not permanently displayed, are non-printable and are not saved with your document."

So close and yet so far!! Please make them permanent and graphically customisable, + angle measurements + secondary units (ie -mm and inches)

Thanks in advance,

They should use Specees plugin on Illustrator as a reference. I can't believe Designer still don't have it. 

I'm on the same page as most. I dropped by just to say that measurements, areas and CAD import are great additions, but without real dimensions, area tags and angle dimensions I'm not going to upgrade to v2.

I seldomly use V1 already and it's mostly because of the lack of these tools. I'm hoping you consider adding those.

Congratulations on the release and best wishes for the future.

On 11/11/2022 at 3:00 AM, mdriftmeyer said:

For those injecting this is a useless feature you don't do much technical publications. For you, just deselect that option. For the rest of us that find it useful and don't want to load a CAD program, but want to integrate these features into complex Designer creations we'll leave it on.

We don't think that the current tool is completelly useless! But you don't have to be a CAD engineer to urgently demand a "dimension" tool. Every graphics designer appreciates this when designing a simple flyer for real estate offers or doing technical documentation.

It's so time consuming to workaround the creation of dimensions with lines/linecap arrows/text overlays etc. This would be a huge, huge, huge timesaver for a lot of use cases!

To my understanding programmatically it is only a "small step" from the current widget that only shows the dimensions (so far well done) to finally generate pathes, line caps and texts automatically. I'm sure they can do this ;-)

Hardware: Windows 10 Pro for Workstations (22H2, build 19045.3208, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0), 8 core Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2145 CPU @ 3.70GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro P4000 (driver 528.89), 2 x 1GB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

I was excited about the measurement tool announced for V2 Designer, but it turns out it's just for ad hoc, one-off distance checking. I'd strongly recommend making the measurements persistent for reference (use case #1: multiple measurement call outs as drawing objects), and even better, anchored between points and being dynamic during repositioning (use case #2: live measurement feedback between measured targets), so you can easily place an object X distance from something, without messing around with the objects position or '0' reference points.

Someone said these features are for CAD packages, but I'd like to point out that the last word in the acronym CAD is 'Design', plus even 'ruling out' CAD apps, it is also a staple capability of graphic design apps (CorelDraw, Micrografx Designer, Inkscape, most 3D modelling apps).

Right now, the good dev teams are certainly flooded with requests, but this is my suggestion for adding this rather important functionality for queuing consideration in your next grooming/prioritization/costing session. It certainly helps more comprehensively knocking out your competitors, so it has some marketing value too. For the meantime, I'll export my vectors and bring them into Draw, but it would be nice to accomplish all within Designer.

• 4 months later...

I'm an architect and I think Affinity Designer is almost there in it's ability but I can't use it if I cannot quickly tap on a couple of points and leave a permanent dimension there  as I can in say CorelDraw. It's such a shame because there would be many more users if this simple thing was added. The measurement tool almost does it but then the measurement just disappears when you move to another tool. 

Yes, it's so sad, since the program on the other hand works really fine and quick. I use it for simple scaled graphs and schematic drawings and I'm really missing the dimensions in a scaled graph. You may have read the shit storm appearing in this forum when Designer 2 was published concerning this missing feature. (I cannot tell it in other words…)

Every Update (now 2.0.4) Im eagerly waiting for this line type…

We hope for the next future.

Regards to all the hopefully patient users…