You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity 2.0 and Mojave

1 hour ago, loukash said:

Packzview license was rejected

Wow - can't you have another blast at getting a licence - Packzview is really great alternative option to Acrobat pro and has dug me out of a few holes of having to re-boot or go to another machine just to check seps in Acrobat9. If only we had another concrete option!?!?!?!

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

7 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

seems stable enough until quit

fixed that issue: "Go to System Preferences > Security > Privacy > Accessibility (left pane) and check "Adobe Photoshop CS6.app" (right pane)."
All 3 CS5  apps quit nicley now.

I had Acrobt 9 working then the updater kicked in. stalled, and when i rebooted i was back to square 1! But not to worry i have Acrobat X Pro  on my other machine and i can can copy/drag files between the two machines,. so i am happy with that. 

In a few months I'll be strictly using AF apps. 

iMac late 2012 / OS 10.14.6 / Affinity newbie /

8 hours ago, bici said:

fixed that issue: "Go to System Preferences > Security > Privacy > Accessibility (left pane) and check "Adobe Photoshop CS6.app" (right pane)."
All 3 CS5  apps quit nicley now.

I have always had PS cs5 checked in Accessibility on both my macs but have always had the crash on quit?!?!? - if I remember right this behaviour only happened after upgrading to El Cap - for me as long as PS is stable while i'm using it, I'm happy, I've just learned to live with the crash on quit - Acrobat 9, InDesign and Illustrator all quit fine  

6 hours ago, bici said:

UPDATE I now have Acrobat working again.

Great you got it sorted - or did it mysteriously sort itself?  😱

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

On 11/12/2022 at 11:14 AM, Dazmondo77 said:

Mojave support would have definitely been the sweet spot - If you're work is destined for print, Acrobat is a absolute must (well for anyone who's been turned down for a free Packziew licence) for checking separations and whatnot, especially when working in Affinity, I have Acrobat 9 (which came with CS5) which still works great in Mojave. I personally think the only way some of you guys in this post can have a useable workflow, using Affinity 2, is by either having two Macs - so you would maybe need to invest in an M1 (or M2?) but keep an old Mojave machine around, or open-coring an old Mac - As I mentioned previously in the post I have an old Open-cored Mac pro which boots into Big Sur or Mojave, I can also lob in a Monterey ssd if needed (prefer Big Sur) but also have a 2012 13" Mojave MacBook pro which is the last upgradable model before apple moved over to everything soldered to the logic board - these are old machines, but V2 runs great on the Mac pro and I do have a free Packzview licence so I have the ability to check PDF's in Big Sur before sending off to print, and VectorStyler is really handy for the STILL missing features in Designer - I was hoping for less workarounds, and although I'm delighted with the few added features, and the amazing Universal Licence deal, I do think V2 has taken workarounds to another level, simply by insisting on Catalina and not Mojave as a starting point. 

I'd more or less come to the same conclusion. If I want to keep my Logic Pro X up to date I'll need to invest in an Apple silicon machine at some point. I could also run V2 Affinity on it together with some DXO software that I can't run under Mojave.

I  too have an old 2012  MacBook Pro and also a late 2015  iMac 4ghz Core i7 27" retina both running Mojave. The MBP (which I bought in 2013) has 16GB RAM and a 2TB SSD. Boots in 15 seconds and still runs great. There was a newer MBP available at the time but not as upgradeable as the older one. Also a few ports short. I never had cause to regret that purchase and still use it every day.

I worked in IT for 40 years and always had machines I could get into. Until Apple.....

Affinity is not the only company having Catalina as a minimum requirement. DXO are the same plus a a few others. Ain't progress wunnerfull:-))

13 minutes ago, bladerunner1948 said:

The MBP (which I bought in 2013) has 16GB RAM and a 2TB SSD. Boots in 15 seconds and still runs great. There was a newer MBP available at the time but not as upgradeable as the older one. Also a few ports short. I never had cause to regret that purchase and still use it every day.

That reads as if you were describing mine! :) 
Also worth mentioning: this was the last 15" model with (optional) matte display. And a built-in DVD-R drive.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Here is a serious problem with using InDesign CS6 in Parallels Desktop.

When you want to edit an image with an external editor, you usually either choose the Edit Original or Edit With command. When working inside the same environment, this opens the editor.

When you have InDesign in the virtual machine, and Affinity Photo in the host environment, you can't have this latter open files from the former.

You have to check the image path in InDesign, look for the original image file in the host's Finder, and then open the file from there.

With several images, it can become an annoyance. Not a major one, maybe, but annoyance it is.

EDIT: Affinity 1.10 can run under Sierra. So, maybe the best solution is to install them in the virtual machine.

Paolo

On 11/11/2022 at 9:41 AM, Jens D. R. said:

Catalina is not the problem to come by - I can still update my mac to Catalina. I need Sierra - to run it in parallels.

But thank you for helping!

Hi,

If you go to the  link below, you will find a link to a download of Sierra. You will also see info regarding a possible install error caused by sn out of date certificate. This is easy to fix by just following the instructions in the article. If you any problems with that, let me know as I have a working Sierra installer which I have used in Parallels Desktop version 15. I could upload that to my cloud storage and sednd you a linkl.

https://osxdaily.com/2019/10/24/fix-install-macos-application-damaged-cant-be-used-error-mac/

57 minutes ago, bladerunner1948 said:

you will find a link to a download of Sierra

It's the same broken link as on Apple's support page that ends on this:

Not Found on Accelerator

Description: Your request on the host was not found. Check the location and try again.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 11/10/2022 at 10:29 PM, Jens D. R. said:

The Macworld links to Sierra, El Capitan & Yosemite do not work.

As far as I remember, to run the broken Sierra installer you had to show its content and find an executable inside it. But I may remember the wrong way.

Paolo

1 hour ago, bladerunner1948 said:

a link to a download of Sierra

Here is an archived copy of the DMG: https://archive.org/details/install-macos-sierra 
Use it at your own risk though! I have no idea who the guy is who uploaded it to archive.org and how safe it is to use it!

2 hours ago, bladerunner1948 said:

Hi,

If you go to the  link below, you will find a link to a download of Sierra. You will also see info regarding a possible install error caused by sn out of date certificate. This is easy to fix by just following the instructions in the article. If you any problems with that, let me know as I have a working Sierra installer which I have used in Parallels Desktop version 15. I could upload that to my cloud storage and sednd you a linkl.

https://osxdaily.com/2019/10/24/fix-install-macos-application-damaged-cant-be-used-error-mac/

Thank you, I will check it out. If the download works I will try the install on the weekend.

Cheers

Jens

On 11/12/2022 at 6:14 PM, bici said:

Yesterday in preparation for imminent purchase of new hardware i installed CS5, from DVD onto my Mac Mini running OS Capitan. The suite installed without a hitch, although Photoshop crashes on quit. ( i recall i had that issue when i upgraded to Mojave on my other machine.  Hopefully I can fix that otherwise i can live with it.)

On 11/13/2022 at 6:01 PM, loukash said:

I can confirm, although for me it didn't happen every time.
Also AI CS5 has a bunch of weak spots on El Capitan that will crash it immediately, but those can be worked around.

On 11/13/2022 at 4:59 PM, Dazmondo77 said:

This is common behaviour so I gather, which effects me also, but always seems stable enough until quit.

The crash on quit problem can be fixed by disabling CSLive.

My old El Capitan notes for a CS5 install say:
⁃    Disabled CSLive to prevent crash on quit. Changed name of Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CS5ServiceManager/lib to lib.bak

However, on my current Sierra install I see that I've relabelled the entire CS5ServiceManager folder to CS5ServiceManager.bak

I've done this on the path above in both the System and User Library folders.

I've also disabled Live Preflight in InDesign due to some random quitting. Now the entire suite is completely stable in Sierra 12.6.

However, the future for me is with Affinity, so I've installed Monterey on an external SSD, which (after some initial teething problems involving Spotlight indexing loops, fixed by creating a .metadata_never_index_unless_rootfs file on the main drive) is now fast and stable.

The hoops we jump through!

[ macos 12.6 Monterey; Memory: 16GB;  Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB; Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 ]

6 hours ago, School of Languages LCT said:

I have to have Mojave, so I can't have V2

If your Mac actually supports Catalina or higher, it can run both. If your internal disk is large enough, back up all data and create a second partion where you can install the other MacOS. Or get an external drive – preferably SSD because it's faster – and install the other MacOS there. Then you can boot the Mac from there. That works even with USB flash drives, but you need a high quality hi-speed one, e.g. SanDisk are usually pretty fast. I have a few such bootable flash drives as emergency disks.

In other words, usually I need El Capitan for lot of things I'm doing, especially audio, but my MacBook also has a Catalina partition which is where I have installed Affinity 2.

9 hours ago, Jim_A said:

The crash on quit problem can be fixed by disabling CSLive.

To do this, open with a text editor the "/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.AdobeOnlineHelp.plist" file.

Set the <string> parameter to "0".

Save.

If your Mac actually supports Catalina or higher, it can run both.

My preferred way is virtualization. Parallels Desktop works fine with a Sierra virtual machine, and there are reports that it works fine with any other MacOS version.

I can't make it recognize my keyboard as an ISO one. But maybe the problem is in my Mac client. Ah, if only I could find the keyboard type's country codes, to insert the right one in the keyboardtype.plist preference…

Paolo

If your Mac actually supports Catalina or higher, it can run both. If your internal disk is large enough, back up all data and create a second partion where you can install the other MacOS. Or get an external drive – preferably SSD because it's faster – and install the other MacOS there. Then you can boot the Mac from there. That works even with USB flash drives, but you need a high quality hi-speed one, e.g. SanDisk are usually pretty fast. I have a few such bootable flash drives as emergency disks.

In other words, usually I need El Capitan for lot of things I'm doing, especially audio, but my MacBook also has a Catalina partition which is where I have installed Affinity 2.

But then you spend your time rebooting, resetting your session over and over - and managing two installations.

A long time ago I did that with Windows and Linux on the same machine. Painful when you would need to reboot just to quickly perform some action on your data. Personally I'd rather stick with Affinity V1 than deal with something like that again. 😇

Just now, PaoloT said:

My preferred way is virtualization. Parallels Desktop works fine with a Sierra virtual machine, and there are reports that it works fine with any other MacOS version.

I've never used P.D., so I can't comment on that. I'm only familiar with SheepShaver for OS 9 virtualization, and with an older version of CrossOver (based on Wine) for running a few odd old Windows apps.

10 minutes ago, loukash said:

I've never used P.D., so I can't comment on that.

It's very well made. You get up to four processors and eight GB or RAM dedicated to each virtual machine. You can have the virtual machine running inside a separate frame, or let the client's document windows sit next to the ones of the host Mac. You can copy&paste or drag&drop between the two environments. It's really well integrated.

Paolo

Just now, thomasp said:

But then you spend your time rebooting

Definitely. That's why for the time being I'm sticking to v1 on my MacBook as well. But – thanks to the Universal License – I have now v2 on the iPad ready to use, including an Apple Pencil. Since the iPad also has an external keyboard with a trackpad, I might be working more with that in the future.

4 minutes ago, thomasp said:

resetting your session over and over - and managing two installations

I'm quite a tinkerer, so for me it's not as hard as it can be otherwise. I use a lot of symbolic links on the Catalina partition, so many apps and almost all of my Home folder actually live on the El Capitan partition, i.e. when I change something while in Catalina, the files are changed on the El Capitan partition. For sandboxed folders which cannot be "outsourced" via symbolic links, I sync them on login with ChronoSync. But this is something for experienced users, i.e. you need to know exactly what you are doing. 

The only major problem is that El Capitan cannot see APFS formatted volumes which is what Catalina requires. And I need El Capitan because Sierra would break my "antique" Firewire audio interfaces, or their already hacked drivers, respectively. :/ 

Mmm. Thanks for the suggestions, I think most people are aware of the joys of virtualisation. I lived in that bubble with Snow Leopard after Apple killed Rosetta 1, and I clung on bravely to a solid OS which ran Freehand (needed for my livelihood) and clung on some more as the OS got less secure, Safari stopped working, then Mail, then the 27" iMac's graphics card blew as it was designed to. I even managed for a while to activate the hidden integrated GPU that Apple tried to hide, until that finally went too.

I can't fault Affinity for designing software for modern OSs, but geez I'm over Apple, and because of that it looks like I'm stuck with V1 until I need to upgrade to a PC... which at least will be sooner than I can afford a Mac.

I might rejoin the conversation at V3 :)

23 hours ago, PaoloT said:

As far as I remember, to run the broken Sierra installer you had to show its content and find an executable inside it. But I may remember the wrong way.

Paolo

Right click on the installer and click “Show Package Contents”.

Click on folder named “Contents”.

Click on the folder named “SharedSupport”.

Delete the file named “InstallInfo.plist”.

12 hours ago, PaoloT said:

It's very well made. You get up to four processors and eight GB or RAM dedicated to each virtual machine. You can have the virtual machine running inside a separate frame, or let the client's document windows sit next to the ones of the host Mac. You can copy&paste or drag&drop between the two environments. It's really well integrated.

Paolo

I completely agree. I'm in Mojave and I have a Windows 10 virtual machine to be able to use the Windows version of Affinity 2.0 apps thanks to the Universal licence. The virtual machine is quick and responsive, much more than the Catalina or Big Sur virtual machines I have also tested with 2.0 apps.

Typing this with sweaty palms as at this very moment I am upgrading my 2019 iMac from Mojave to Ventura. v2 finally has the necessary tools to let me cut the cord from Adobe.

Got this old Macbook Air running High Sierra as my backup machine should anything go horribly wrong. (maybe shouldn't have attempted this during my lunch break at work, but if not now, when?)

Wish me luck.