You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity 2.0 and Mojave

22 hours ago, bici said:

Affinity V2. I am going to pull the trigger and purchase V2 later this week, I may as well purchase it at the discount even if i won't be able to run it until i upgrade to a new Mac Mini in the new year.

As Dean Allen used to say: Halitosis be dammed

...pulled the trigger and purchased the Universal package. New Mac Mini in January will allow me to run the V2 version. 

iMac late 2012 / OS 10.14.6 / Affinity newbie /

When I bought the mac V1, after my PC died, I checked the requirements and there were 3 updates between my OS and the minimum requirement. I thought I was on the safe side.

I bought V2 without checking the requirements and downloaded it to see it not working. I dug into Serifs site to find them and the shock hit me.

Running a small one-man-business means holding on to your money and thinking at least twice before you invest. That is one of the reasons why I never got CC and Affinity seemed the solution.

I looked into all of these great proposals of using a virtual machine or a dual boot…

The thing is I could update my mac to Catalina – that‘s the newest OS without OpenCore.

Then I could install parallels… But alas Apple has taken away the option of downloading old OS versions. Without an ISO there is no way for me to use my old software after an upgrade, so I am stuck.

I need CS6 for my work, so unless there is a way to get Sierra I am done.

My other fear is that when Serif releases the next major update – there will be another significant jump in OS-versions.

There is no workaround for me… Apple and Adobe probably don’t want anyone using old software or old OS versions – makes for bad sales.

For those with Macs that go upto Mojave, this may be an option: https://osxdaily.com/2021/04/30/how-download-macos-catalina-without-app-store/

...and for those who want to get hold of older OSX versions: https://www.macworld.com/article/671911/how-to-get-old-macos-download-big-sur-catalina-mojave-and-more.html

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Via Parallels Desktop 16, I have Mojave as Host and Catalina as Guest. Obviously, it's possible to install and run Apub 2.0 but the page background is dark and it's impossible to see the text. It doesn't matter if I am using light or dark system appearance. I don't know what's the origin of the problem (maybe, lack of graphic power due to the emulation process).

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

For those with Macs that go upto Mojave, this may be an option: https://osxdaily.com/2021/04/30/how-download-macos-catalina-without-app-store/

...and for those who want to get hold of older OSX versions: https://www.macworld.com/article/671911/how-to-get-old-macos-download-big-sur-catalina-mojave-and-more.html

The Macworld links to Sierra, El Capitan & Yosemite do not work.

I am downloading High Sierra right now.

I have the Catalina 10.15.7_19H2.dmg installer file, it stands @ 8.3GB I can upload it to my google drive if you can't find it, it will take a while to upload though.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

10 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I have the Catalina 10.15.7_19H2.dmg installer file, it stands @ 8.3GB I can upload it to my google drive if you can't find it, it will take a while to upload though.

Catalina is not the problem to come by - I can still update my mac to Catalina. I need Sierra - to run it in parallels.

But thank you for helping!

I certainly understand what everyone is feeling (disappointment) since Mojave is as far as I can go as well. Affinity V1 will have to do for now, until I can get new hardware in the future. I can't wait to purchase and try out V2 but I have to be patient.

Thank you @Dazmondo77 for the tip about copy and pasting from V2 to V1 apps. That is a big deal to me going forward. Really would like a back-save option but copy and paste will do.

19 minutes ago, MacHeritage said:

I certainly understand what everyone is feeling (disappointment) since Mojave is as far as I can go as well. Affinity V1 will have to do for now, until I can get new hardware in the future. I can't wait to purchase and try out V2 but I have to be patient.

Have you thought about an update using opencore to run Catalina? I have no Idea how that works but someone posted that he has an old mac running a new OS using opencore. Perhaps that is a solution.

Cheers

Jens

I really can't pretend to be an existing customer, but I must add to the comments of others who are disappointed by the seemingly arbitrary choice to cut off OS 10.14 Mojave. Beyond Mojave, Photoshop CS6 ceases to function. Photoshop Elements (non-subscription) will run but does not have pen or shape tools. I didn't quite like Designer 1 enough to choose it over Inkscape, and now I've no idea if Designer 2 is worth going to the great trouble of virtualising just for the sake of it. Have to assume not.

There might be some inherent feature about Catalina that makes it difficult to support Mojave, but for the life of me, I don't know what it is.

4 hours ago, Jens D. R. said:

I need Sierra

support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

However, the links to download Sierra, El Capitan and Yosemite are dead.
I have now reported it by using the "Helpful? > NO" button on the page. Everyone should do the same to bring this to Apple's attention.

I have a backup of the most recent Sierra DMG with updated certificates that was made available about three years ago.
BUT: I already forgot why, but I have added "BUG!" to its filename. I vaguely remember there was an issue reported with the new installer; you'll have to search Teh Interwebz for more details on that. I also kept the original Sierra DMG but that one won't work "out of the box" because of the expired security certificates; possibly that could be worked around by temporarily turning the system clock backwards by a few years before running it. 

1 hour ago, MrGrumpyGrouch said:

the seemingly arbitrary choice to cut off OS 10.14 Mojave

From what I've heard from some knowledgeable "little birdies", that wasn't an arbitrary choice but a necessity. It's very likely that v2 relies on MacOS technologies that were not fully available in Mojave yet. Especially considering that we're now only at the beginning of the v2 update path. It is very safe to assume that quite a few fancy new features are yet to come with all those to be expected free v2.x updates. After all, that's how Serif was proceeding with v1.x updates as well. And also there, they had to leave old OS versions behind. I, for one, have only fully abandoned Mountain Lion (!) and moved to El Capitan in 2019 after Publisher and the rest of the v1.9 bunch came out which all required at least Mavericks (or Yosemite? don't remember). 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

39 minutes ago, loukash said:

support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

However, the links to download Sierra, El Capitan and Yosemite are dead.
I have now reported it by using the "Helpful? > NO" button on the page. Everyone should do the same to bring this to Apple's attention.

"NO" has been pressed and commented that the link did not work! 😊

Edited by Jens D. R.
typo

As a Mojave user, the only solution that I have to use Affinity v.2 is to install a Windows 1o virtual machine and to use the Windows versions! I have installed a Big Sur via Parallels, but the Mojave Host doesn't let the Big Sur Guest take benefit from the Metal support.

Update: it's possible to set Display in Preferences to Software and to get Apub v.2 running (without the black page problem) but it's very slow.

11 hours ago, Jens D. R. said:

Have you thought about an update using opencore to run Catalina? I have no Idea how that works but someone posted that he has an old mac running a new OS using opencore. Perhaps that is a solution.

Cheers

Jens

Yes, I have thought about it but decided against it, since I will be getting newer hardware sooner rather than later. If I was stuck on this Mac Pro (2010) for several more years, then yes, I would work on making that happen. Currently, I need 10.14 for iTunes 12.6 for my AppleTV 1 syncing and a lots of 32-bit apps. So I am looking at dividing my office into Classic Computing and Modern Computing. That way everything can continue to function as is.

On 11/10/2022 at 9:54 AM, firstdefence said:

Hi,

I read that article and was suitably shocked. My VM plans have been completely blown out of the water. Although I use Affinity, I also use LR6 and Photoshop CS6. LR6 for it's cataloguing/library management and CS6 for pre/printing and heavy lifting. Neither will run on post Mojave releases. It never occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to run Mojave as a VM on Apple Silicon.

Major rethink required.

1 hour ago, bladerunner1948 said:

Hi,

I read that article and was suitably shocked. My VM plans have been completely blown out of the water. Although I use Affinity, I also use LR6 and Photoshop CS6. LR6 for it's cataloguing/library management and CS6 for pre/printing and heavy lifting. Neither will run on post Mojave releases. It never occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to run Mojave as a VM on Apple Silicon.

Major rethink required.

Yes, that is why I am going the Classic and Modern route. The transitions before seem to favour that route for ease of use (68K->PowerPC->Intel->Apple Silicon). VM is not there for Apple Silicon right now, much like when the Intel Mac first launched.

Mojave support would have definitely been the sweet spot - If you're work is destined for print, Acrobat is a absolute must (well for anyone who's been turned down for a free Packziew licence) for checking separations and whatnot, especially when working in Affinity, I have Acrobat 9 (which came with CS5) which still works great in Mojave. I personally think the only way some of you guys in this post can have a useable workflow, using Affinity 2, is by either having two Macs - so you would maybe need to invest in an M1 (or M2?) but keep an old Mojave machine around, or open-coring an old Mac - As I mentioned previously in the post I have an old Open-cored Mac pro which boots into Big Sur or Mojave, I can also lob in a Monterey ssd if needed (prefer Big Sur) but also have a 2012 13" Mojave MacBook pro which is the last upgradable model before apple moved over to everything soldered to the logic board - these are old machines, but V2 runs great on the Mac pro and I do have a free Packzview licence so I have the ability to check PDF's in Big Sur before sending off to print, and VectorStyler is really handy for the STILL missing features in Designer - I was hoping for less workarounds, and although I'm delighted with the few added features, and the amazing Universal Licence deal, I do think V2 has taken workarounds to another level, simply by insisting on Catalina and not Mojave as a starting point. 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

On 11/9/2022 at 4:46 PM, Dan C said:

As version 1 is no longer receiving updates, we're no longer selling this app to new users - though existing customers can continue to re-download and use version 1 as required.

Can you please reconsider - I have V1 of Photos and Designer but I was waiting for Black Friday special to get Publisher. Then with no warning you yanked it off the app stores. I don't need updates. What works now will always work. 

I use another program that can run on Mac, Windows and the iPad. It is based on the most recent version of Qt, and compatibility includes both Ventura and Mojave. I'm sure Serif could extend compatibility to Mojave, at least for a couple years.

The alternative, for a Mac user, really looks having to work on two separate computers while transitioning. Hardly a viable choice.

Paolo

• Staff
1 hour ago, bwana said:

Can you please reconsider - I have V1 of Photos and Designer but I was waiting for Black Friday special to get Publisher. Then with no warning you yanked it off the app stores. I don't need updates. What works now will always work. 

Please email affinity@serif.com and we'll see what we can do for you - though I can't make any guarantees :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

7 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

I have Acrobat 9 (which came with CS5) which still works great in Mojave. I personally think the only way some of you guys in this post can have a useable workflow, using Affinity 2

Interesting. Yesterday in preparation for imminent purchase of new hardware i installed CS5, from DVD onto my Mac Mini running OS Capitan. The suite installed without a hitch, although Photoshop crashes on quit. ( i recall i had that issue when i upgraded to Mojave on my other machine.  Hopefully I can fix that otherwise i can live with it.) BUT the Acrobat 9 pro that came with CS5 installs fine but will not load properly! After it starts i only have the Acrobat in the menu but not the other  options––File, Edit, View, etc. Odd. Being able to keep CS5 running on a backup machine would be comforting as i transition to new machine and Affinity V2 suite which should also be able to keep V1 running on the new Mac Minis. 

PS on Mojave i am running Acrobat X Pro Build: 10.1.16.13. But i don't have the DMG nor Install DVD for that. I don't even recall how i purchased it.

iMac late 2012 / OS 10.14.6 / Affinity newbie /

22 hours ago, bici said:

although Photoshop crashes on quit. ( i recall i had that issue when i upgraded to Mojave on my other machine.  Hopefully I can fix that otherwise i can live with it.)

This is common behaviour so I gather, which effects me also, but always seems stable enough until quit. not sure what to suggest with Acrobat 9, as it's working fine on both of my Macs. you could maybe try Packzview  https://www.packz.com/downloads-info/ which is a total life saver, offering similar pre-press features to Acrobat pro when dealing with PDF's destined for print in Catalina + but also works with El Cap and Mojave - Packzview along with VectorStyler have enabled me to adopt a Affinity 2 workflow, only really having to worry about supplying V1 files to a couple of clients and the odd bit of PS cs5 puppet warping, plus I still do capacity brochures and book jackets in InDesign as it saves a stupid amount of grief being able to do more than Affinity's limit of two page spreads, Multipage spreads and a slug area was my No1 wish for Pub 2 although on the whole really happy with Affinity 2 as features will come eventually (fingers and toes crossed)

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

23 hours ago, bici said:

running OS Capitan. The suite installed without a hitch, although Photoshop crashes on quit

52 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

This is common behaviour so I gather

I can confirm, although for me it didn't happen every time.
Also AI CS5 has a bunch of weak spots on El Capitan that will crash it immediately, but those can be worked around.

That said, in the past two years I have only launched PS a few times, and it was only on occasions while I was trying to help fellow Affinity users here on the forums with transfering their old PS workflows to APh. Other than that, once I have cleaned my brain from decades of Schmadobe PS workflow indoctrination, I have never looked back. Unfortunately, due to lack of certain specific features I'd occasionally need in ADe and APu, that cannot be said of ID and AI. And of course Acrobat X since my request for a free Packzview license was rejected.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2