You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity 2.0 and Mojave

Hi,

I see that Catalina is the oldest supported OS on Mac. Since many of us are still forced to be in Creative Suite CS6 to complete the latest works and file conversions, and CS6 only works on Mojave, is there any chance the new Affinity suite will still work on Mojave, even if not officially supported?

Paolo

Why don't you download a trial version?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• Staff

Hi @PaoloT,

Unfortunately these are OS requirements and not recommendations - the V2 Affinity apps won't run on macOS versions before Catalina, my apologies.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Same here. I need CS6 because Affinity does not cover everything I need and I have a lot of old Files - specifically in InDesign.

None of the features I wanted are in the upgrade and my system is no longer supported - sad.

That kills it for me - was a nice experiment.

Cheers

Jens

I read the FAQ... So if any OS older than Catalina is not supported anymore, why disable the option of buying V1?

Just asking, because not everyone can go and buy new hardware.

Isn't the required version on windows up to win11, too? Many poeple would need to buy new PCs to run win11 because of MS requirements.

I am really angry and disapointed - I have to stop writing now... 😡

• Staff
30 minutes ago, Jens D. R. said:

why disable the option of buying V1?

As version 1 is no longer receiving updates, we're no longer selling this app to new users - though existing customers can continue to re-download and use version 1 as required.

32 minutes ago, Jens D. R. said:

Isn't the required version on windows up to win11, too?

Affinity V2 is compatible with Windows 10 or Windows 11, though Windows 10 requires the May 2020 Update (2004, 20H1, build 19041) or later to install.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

While I immediately purchased the Universal license (thank you Serif for this!), I can't now install the new suite anywhere in my obsolete iPads or Mac OSs. Ugh.

Maybe there is a temporary solution. I'm currently running these operating systems in my main Mac:

- Mojave as the main OS, that I need to continue working with CS6. The fact that Affinity Publisher 2.0 can't export to IDML means that I will still need it for an unpredictable time.

- Sierra as a secondary Mac OS, running under Parallels Desktop. I need it for the best compatibility, in those cases where CS6 on Mojave can find memory issues.

- Windows 10 under VirtualBox (that I prefer to Parallels Desktop), to run Win-only apps that I need for my job.

Thanks to the Universal license, I could install the Windows version of the Affinity 2.0 apps. This would make me start trying them, and elaborating a strategy for migration.

An alternative could be to install Monterey under Parallels Desktop, but this would mean one operating system more. Since the Affinity apps are compatibile between different OSs, I think this will not be really necessary.

@Dan C, by the way: can we install both the Mac and the Windows version at the same time, when owning the Universal license? If this is allowed, I plan to have the Windows version on my main Mac, and the Mac version on my MacBook.

Another alternative would be to migrate to Monterey, and get a license of InDesign CC. But I don't like this solution, since all the documents I will produce will be kept hostage of Adobe. Unless I diligently export them to IDML, and accept to lose the Book files, that can't be exported to IDML. (Most of my collaborators are still using preferably CS6 for the same reason).

Paolo

• Staff
3 minutes ago, PaoloT said:

@Dan C, by the way: can we install both the Mac and the Windows version at the same time, when owning the Universal license? If this is allowed, I plan to have the Windows version on my main Mac, and the Mac version on my MacBook.

Absolutely! The Universal License means you can install the apps on any macOS, Windows or iPadOS devices that you own or personally control, simultaneously :)

As a media production firm, we've been running CS6 in a Parallels VM (Sierra for max compatibility for a bunch of software) for the last couple years with no real issues. Runs fast, works, shares files with the main OS, etc. Allowed us to upgrade the main host OS for newer software like Affinity. 

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

32 minutes ago, nwhit said:

we've been running CS6 in a Parallels VM (Sierra for max compatibility for a bunch of software)

I can confirm CS6 works fine under Parallels and Sierra. However, on my Mac (a now aging 12-core MacPro 2013) it is not particularly smooth (even with four processors assigned). And I can't make Parallels understand that I'm using an ISO, and not an ANSI keyboard. No help could be get from Parallels or the community, so it has been an unresolved issue for years.

So, until Affinity Publisher is not ready to replace InDesign for me (with IDML export, long tables, advanced cross-references, conditional text), I am forced to use InDesign on my main system. Had been Parallels as good as VirtualBox, I could have worked under emulation everyday, as I've done for years with FrameMaker.

Paolo

I think this the best place to ask:

I am on OS Mojave 10.14.6 because i'm under the assumption this is the only version of the OS that still supports CS5.( which i still need for archived work)

Or am i wrong: Will CS5 run on Catalina? Any one have direct experiences.

Affinity V2. I am going to pull the trigger and purchase V2 later this week, I may as well purchase it at the discount even if i won't be able to run it until i upgrade to a new Mac Mini in the new year.

Is there any reason not to buy the Universal option given that the price is cheaper than trying to buy the 3 Apps individually for MacOS only.

And is there a way to delete the windows option after i download it? Or an OPTION of not installing the windows apps..

I am going to store the V2 Install apps on the external Drive which is backed up.

In any event once i purchase, I assume,  i can always get a copy from Affinity via my ID.

Thanks 

PS all the best Affinity Serif. 

iMac late 2012 / OS 10.14.6 / Affinity newbie /

• Staff

I can't comment on CS5 as I have no personal experience with this app - but as for V2 of Affinity:

Just now, bici said:

Is there any reason not to buy the Universal option given that the price is cheaper than trying to buy the 3 Apps individually for MacOS only.

This is purely a personal choice, however there is no downsides of purchasing a Universal License compared to app specific licenses - in fact the opposite - as you've mentioned this is a cheaper option & allows you to install the apps on different OS's :)

2 minutes ago, bici said:

And is there a way to delete the windows option after i download it? Or an OPTION of not installing the windows apps..

Purchasing a Universal License will give you the option to download V2 for any platform you wish, you can simply choose to only download the macOS apps now, then if you want to use V2 on Windows at a later date, you can download these from your Affinity account.

I hope this helps!

• Staff
1 minute ago, BAKAI said:

So we have to uninstall MS Dot Net update on regular basis to use V1.

😁 Great Support

As we've confirmed in other threads on the forums, this is a Microsoft .NET bug which is logged with Microsofts team. An update to Windows 10/11 that fixes this bug should resolve the crashing in V1, but we have to wait for this from Microsoft.

Unfortunately we have no control over Microsofts updates, or bug fixes, our apologies.

1 hour ago, PaoloT said:

I'm currently running these operating systems in my main Mac

I have a Catalina partition, but primarily I work in El Capitan, for various compatibility reasons, not just CS5.5 et al, but also with external audio hardware.

So, even though I have no immediate use for v2 on Mac, I bought it straight away because:

Just now, Dan C said:

there is no downsides of purchasing a Universal License compared to app specific licenses - in fact the opposite - as you've mentioned this is a cheaper option & allows you to install the apps on different OS's :)

… and installed all three apps on our family iPad! :) 
And I have the feeling that I might be doing quite some design work on the iPad rather than on Mac in the future. ;) 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

I can partially understand your concern.
But the machines Mojave work is tooo old. there're so many limitation.
Both Apple and Microsoft now supports their OS  for only around 2-3years.
So keeping up with older OS is difficult I think.

if you need CS5, you should use a virtual machine for that.

13 hours ago, bici said:

I think this the best place to ask:

I am on OS Mojave 10.14.6 because i'm under the assumption this is the only version of the OS that still supports CS5.( which i still need for archived work)

Or am i wrong: Will CS5 run on Catalina? Any one have direct experiences.

Affinity V2. I am going to pull the trigger and purchase V2 later this week, I may as well purchase it at the discount even if i won't be able to run it until i upgrade to a new Mac Mini in the new year.

I am going to store the V2 Install apps on the external Drive which is backed up.

In any event once i purchase, I assume,  i can always get a copy from Affinity via my ID.

Thanks 

PS all the best Affinity Serif. 

I temporarily upgraded my MacBook Pro (13" unibody) from Mojave to Catalina to see what the impact was on CS6/LR6 etc. Neither would run. CS6 not at all and LR6 although it launched fell down all over the place. I'd cloned my MBP before doing this experiment so cloned it back to Mohave. My iMac is running Mohave and I have set up both Sierra and Mohave as virtual machines under Vmware and Parallels. I have tested CS6 running on those VMs without any problems. As soon as Apple builds a Mac Mini with a decent spec, I intend to switch to that and run the latest Mac OS. I'll create VMs  using Parallels and run CS6 and LR6 that way. AFAIK Vmware does not supprt Apple silicon yet. I can then run the Affinity suite on the Mini.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

15 hours ago, ashf said:

Both Apple and Microsoft now supports their OS  for only around 2-3years.

At least on Windows, these are lifecycles of feature releases, which are free (that is, they are sub versions of the major version, and typically do not require hardware changes so the users can postpone their installation but can update free of charge when they feel ready without changing anything in the hardware). Total lifecycle of Windows 10 is about 10 years (support ending in 2024-25), and could well be same for version 11 so last somewhere up to 2031. On Windows I have also upgraded a few older home computers not officially meeting hw requirements of Windows 11, and continued their lifecycle and usability for years (so that in practice they can be used and run with up-to-date apps as long as they are "alive").

As for Apple, I have no clear idea, but do not assume that I can update any Apple device for more than 5 years, or be able to run up-to-date apps on them for a longer period.

18 hours ago, Pedrober said:

Paradoxically, it's perfectly possible to install and run the Windows trial version in my old Windows machine (really old!) and my i7 Mac (Mojave) can't run Apub 2.0!

That‘s not really a paradox but rather the result of entirely different philosophies from the OS developers. Apple is known for drastically breaking backwards compatibility in newer versions of macOS from time to time. Microsoft is much less radical in this regard. Both approaches have their (dis)advantages.

16 minutes ago, lacerto said:

On Windows I have also upgraded a few older home computers not officially meeting hw requirements of Windows 11, and continued their lifecycle and usability for years (so that in practice they can be used and run with up-to-date apps as long as they are "alive").

To an extent, this is also possible with Macs using community-developed patchers like OpenCore, getting newer macOS versions to run on hardware that is officially unsupported.

19 hours ago, Dan C said:

As version 1 is no longer receiving updates, we're no longer selling this app to new users - though existing customers can continue to re-download and use version 1 as required.

Affinity V2 is compatible with Windows 10 or Windows 11, though Windows 10 requires the May 2020 Update (2004, 20H1, build 19041) or later to install.

How about updates that fixes issues related to for example updates of the operating system. The macOS Ventura update broke some features in v1.x of Photo a bit will you provide updates to mitigate these issue for v1.x users?

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

Affinity 2 is running great on my 2009 (firmware upgraded to 2010 5,1) cheese grater, Mac pro using Opencore - I have 3 SSDs with Big Sur running as my main, Mojave for CS5 and some old 32bit apps and games and also have Monterey ready for if I decide to switch or upgrade to Ventura (when it eventually gets patched for Opencore) also have a 2012 MacBook pro running Mojave for instant access to CS5 and mainly for quickly using Puppet Warp stuff in PS that I use quite a lot, although I'm able to plug most of the vector gaps in Affinity via quickly flipping over to Vectorstyler and back - Also - Although there's currently no back-save option in Affinity 2, you can copy paste into a V1 doc and retain all your layers and seems to just flatten unsupported raster features and converts Vector distortions to curves, which is a descent enough workaround for if I want to work on my Mojave MBP in Affinity 1 - currently have no plans (or dosh) to move to an M1 mac - but V2 is such an amazing deal 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

7 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Affinity 2 is running great on my 2009 (firmware upgraded to 2010 5,1) cheese grater, Mac pro using Opencore

That sounds like simple elegance of using Apple ;-) Just kidding, I love this kind of stuff. I have an old Mac Pro Jan 2008 booting from SSD which got officially obsolete on mac side within only a couple of years (I think it boots to Lion), which was a big disappointment, but it still has Win 7 BootCamp partition on it that is operable (but of course unsupported and which has not been used for years). I do not remember to have heard about Opencore before but if it supports the hardware I could try it with this computer; no real use so could well afford if this ends up in a total failure. But it would be (kind of) fun to be able to run Ventura on Ventura (though only Corel version, via CrossOver)... 

Still running Mojave as need CS6 Photoshop and Wacom Intuos 3 tablet. Upgrading will stop CS6 and possibly Wacom. I have no interest in CC, last time I tried their Bridge it was woeful indeed. Very happy with my present workflow so not upgrading to latest OS just to use AF2. AF1 was interesting but not even close to CS6. I do like the focus shift filter. An example-in ACR the brush mask tool to add more or less exposure/contrast etc works way better than the one in AF1.