You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Fixed] Media browser crashes Affinity

Hi,  I have just installed Affinity and all look good so far except the media browser.  I added a folder to it by dragging and dropping from finder and the programme crashed.  On startup every time I open the media browser it now crashes.  I have uninstalled and re-installed Affinity but that doesnt help.  Any suggestions as to what I should do next?

Hi Chipotle,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Press and hold ⌃(ctrl) while launching the app then select Clear from the dialog that appear. This will reset the app.

Which folder have you tried to drag to the Media Browser? It's from an external drive, NAS or from your computer?

It was a folder from my documents, one that i keep working files in on the computer.

I have now reset the app and tried again.  Media browser works fine until I drag a folder into it, then it starts to crash again.

• Staff

Hi Chipotle,

This is likely due to one (or more) of the files you have in that folder.

Only moving all them out and putting them back again would help to discover this.

If you can provide one or more of those files that crash the app when you add the folder containing them to the Media Browser, we may be able to fix this.

Hi Chipolte,

It might be easier if you move half of your files out and test with the remaining half. If you crash your computer, you know you know that the errant file is in the half you didn't remove. Then remove half of those files and so one until you find the culprit. Obviously, if you don't crash your computer, you know that the bad file is in the half you removed. Follow the same procedure until you find the file that is crashing your computer.

Hope this helps.

Hi Chipotle,

This is likely due to one (or more) of the files you have in that folder.

Only moving all them out and putting them back again would help to discover this.

If you can provide one or more of those files that crash the app when you add the folder containing them to the Media Browser, we may be able to fix this.

Hi, I have done some testing as you advised.  It appears to be just .dng files that cause the programme to crash.  I can edit the photos if I open them in AP and all works well.  It's only when I have them in any folder that I want to add to media browser.  I have tried it with a selection of .dng files and they all have the same effect.  Hope this helps.