You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Master page text boxes moved within specific chapters

Sabz

Hi all... I'm formatting a book that's split into chapters, with separate master pages for each chapter. Today I changed the margins for each master page, as well as the corresponding text boxes. But as you can see from the screenshots, the text boxes for specific chapters are not fitted within the margins, as specified in the master pages. I understand that this could happen if I had unlocked/modified certain master page contents in the past, but how is it possible that this is happening consistently across whole chapters? For example, chapter 1 is working perfectly okay, all of chapter 2 is moved and not fitting into the margins, and then chapter 3 is working perfectly okay again. Any ideas for fixing this would be appreciated! 🙏

image.thumb.png.caab471d8a1fd7206586986bbf0c68bc.png

image.thumb.png.ff65277818f50bc1cf965a28eec455c5.png

image.png

• Staff

Hi Sabz,

If possible could you provide a copy of your project file so I can investigate this further? If you would rather not post it publicly I will include a link to our private DropBox below.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/F5KYwoqLTfSaIfGUeImH

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

9 hours ago, Sabz said:

I'm formatting a book that's split into chapters, with separate master pages for each chapter. Today I changed the margins for each master page, as well as the corresponding text boxes. But as you can see from the screenshots, the text boxes for specific chapters are not fitted within the margins, as specified in the master pages. I understand that this could happen if I had unlocked/modified certain master page contents in the past, but how is it possible that this is happening consistently across whole chapters?

Why not make a single Master/Parent Page for all the Chapters? Is each chapter really that different in its structure?

Regardless, you may have to reapply the Master/Parent pages to the selected pages. A lot of work. 

One thing I do is name each and every element on the Master/Parent pages with descriptive terms and reuse those names on all Master/parent pages which use the same elements. EG: I will have the main text frame on all the Master/Parent pages named either Left Text or Right Text. The frame for the Page Numbers will be named Left Page Number and Right Page Number. Picture frames and graphic elements will be named as well. This naming allows me to apply a different Master/Parent page and the flowing text will be assisted in flowing into the proper frames, the frames can be different sizes on the different pages but it will all flow nicely.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

15 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Why not make a single Master/Parent Page for all the Chapters? Is each chapter really that different in its structure?

I read on one of the forums that it was suggested to have separate master pages for each chapter and to be honest I didn't thoroughly read the rationale for this. 😝 I just applied the same master page to all the chapters and it fixed the issue. So obviously the problem must have been to do with the master pages. Although I don't understand how this could have happened as I copied the exact same master page to all chapters. In any case, thanks for this. The issue is now fixed.

20 hours ago, Callum said:

Hi Sabz,

If possible could you provide a copy of your project file so I can investigate this further? If you would rather not post it publicly I will include a link to our private DropBox below.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/F5KYwoqLTfSaIfGUeImH

Thanks
C

Thanks anyway Callum 🙏