You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pasting an image taken from Firefox into a new image created in Affinity Photo doesn't work

Firefox: 106.0.5 (64-Bit)
Affinity Photo: 1.10.5.1342

Some days ago, I started switching my browser from Vivaldi to Firefox. When copying an image in Vivaldi that is opened in a new tab into the clipboard, I was able to paste it into Affinity Photo without problems.

In my case, I copy the following image from the website via right-clicking the image and select "Bild kopieren" (Copy image).

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/1151640/library_600x900.jpg?t=1593707775

In Affinity Photo I create an empty, white image and paste the image copied from the link into this white image with CTRL+V.

image.png.4ad21c0ab4325654a1142e7c658708ac.pngimage.png.7dd4a3056aee75a6f3739175b1f62f61.png

This worked for years.

Now in Firefox I try to do the same, and it doesn't work. Trying to paste the copied image into the new image only pastes the temporary local link.

image.png.0374ea5abab87dc450cd13a4992c2c1f.pngimage.png.05af3eb690b1e7aac1701615a7d7ce25.png

Creating a new image from clipboard (CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+N) works. But I need the copied image in an existing image.

image.png.1abf95ce8cc31449eb395b9abee24c3c.png

When pasting the image into MS Paint it works as expected.

image.png.e286077a08007c7dd62a6b1bfe4c0fcc.png

Also, pasting the copied image into MS Word works, too.

image.png.c647cba7e1b5aac1ea5300cec6880cf6.png

It seems that it's an issue in Affinity Photo, only.

I already asked in a Firefox community if there is a difference in copying an image in Firefox and Vivaldi. But they send me to here.

Is there any setting I missed for pasting images from Firefox? What can I do to get the copied image from a website into a blank image in Affinity Photo?

Works OK for me! Are you sure you didn't click on copy link by accident?

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

This works okay for me with Firefox 106.0.5 on Windows 10, from both the site you gave a link to and these forums, so it’s possibly not an issue with Photo (as such).
Even if I have a Frame Text layer active the image still gets pasted in as a pinned image layer.

I’ve never seen this happen before so I don’t know what’s gone wrong but I thought I’d mention that I’m not seeing the problem in case it helps with the diagnosis. (I think it’s more probable that it’s a machine-related issue than an application-related issue, but I could be wrong.)

Have you tried re-launching Photo?

True! 

It seems a bit odd that the link is to a location on your PC, not on the web. As a workaround, if you can create a new image, why not just do that, then copy and paste that into your other document?

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

42 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I think it’s more probable that it’s a machine-related issue than an application-related issue, but I could be wrong.

But when trying to do this in Vivaldi browser it works as it always worked. So for me, it looks like an issue in Firefox, but I don't know what's wrong.

42 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Have you tried re-launching Photo?

Yes. Also restarted the computer ... No change.

42 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

If you can create a new image, why not just do that, then copy and paste that into your other document?

Because it is another step I have to do. To get a bit deeper into my case ... I want to create "DVD covers" and have a PSD-File as template. I want to paste the image as a new layer into this template to be able to modify it after pasting. And because I have to do this for many many images every step that I have to do more is much more work. ;)

It looks like the image is pasted as text ...

image.png.f8d2f45babbaa3b9803fe934e7133059.pngimage.png.cfdd1c8daebd981562d60203dcad8608.png

Just found out the following: Pasting the image into the template only pastes the local link into it. But, if I choose "Edit | Paste special..." and select "Device independent bitmap" it works.

image.png.d496162d1d4d8377bb4f23c1739dd8c4.pngimage.png.c87e4e3e6f97eb0642188ddb033e543c.pngimage.png.3b8c524dd66f90f0cc9b1cc2fdcf577e.pngimage.png.ec5551e05055e32e12fd205b5e5217f6.png

When using Vivaldi browser, I don't have to do it that way ... Strange :/

You're right, it does all seem a bit strange, but glad you've got it sorted! 👍 

Is it possible to say Photo, that when pasting an image it should be pasted as "Device independent bitmap"? Because it would be much more work for me, not being allowed to press CTRL+V and instead have to manually select "Edit | Paste special... | Device independent bitmap" and click "Ok". :(

In Affinity Photo/Designer try going to Preferences > General and under Clipboard, deselect ‘Copy items as SVG’

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

That’s unfortunate😧
I can only replicate your current experience when ‘Copy items as SVG’ is selected.
With it Off all is good here. Wish I could think of another solution for you to try.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

I thought you meant you had found a way to get it to work! There do seem to be several other ways of doing what you want to do. Personally I would just save the image, then paste it into my other image. Hope you manage to find a solution, so that you can get it to work in the way you want it to!

1 hour ago, markw said:

I can only replicate your current experience when ‘Copy items as SVG’ is selected.

I just enabled the setting, restarted Photo, disabled the setting and restarted Photo again. But no change ... :(

1 hour ago, PaulEC said:

Hope you manage to find a solution, so that you can get it to work in the way you want it to!

I only want to have this function with Firefox that I have with Vivaldi. Hopefully someone is able to help here. :/

It's working fine for me on Windows 10, with Firefox 106.0.5 and Photo 1.10.5.

I wonder if it's some extension you have installed in Firefox, or some Firefox option you have set?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Does dragging the image from Firefox to Affinity Photo produce the same issue or do you now get the image as you would have expected?

Personally I cannot replicate this issue.

Ps. Have you tried troubleshoot mode... from Firefox Help menu?

1271331211_Screenshot2022-11-07at16_44_37.png.3d82910eed8a121c743a17ea73ab6c9a.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I just removed and installed Affinity Photo again. No change ...

3 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Does dragging the image from Firefox to Affinity Photo produce the same issue or do you now get the image as you would have expected?

Dragging the image from Firefox to the Windows taskbar onto the Affinity Photo icon and dropping it into my template works. So, this could be a good workaround. 👍

But the question is still, why I'm not able to paste the copied image with the help of CTRL+V into my template ... :/

Next step: Remove Firefox completely and install it again. Then I try to copy and paste an image without changing any setting in Firefox or installing an addon. Fingers crossed. 🤞

try troubleshoot mode first see my post with additional info above.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

It might be an idea to list the add-ons you have installed, I can install them and see if I can replicate the issue.

28 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

try troubleshoot mode first see my post with additional info above.

Too late ... Just removed Firefox and all the profile folders. After installing again, Firefox was completely "naked". But it still didn't work to paste a copied image into my template in Affinity Photo with CTRL+V.

28 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

It might be an idea to list the add-ons you have installed, I can install them and see if I can replicate the issue.

I don't know if this would be the solution, because also the naked Firefox didn't work ... :/

But here are my addons.
image.png.8c3df0e46b4c9e404f93ac980cd59147.png

Also, I'm using a user.js file with the following settings.

// Aktivierung der Synchronisierung von Symbolen in der Symbolleiste
user_pref("services.sync.prefs.sync.browser.uiCustomization.state", true); // Default = Nicht vorhanden
// Tabs immer im Hintergrund öffnen
user_pref("browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground", true); // Default = false
// Tabs per Doppelklick schließen
user_pref("browser.tabs.closeTabByDblclick", true); // Default = false

It drives me nuts ... :(

6 hours ago, markw said:

It makes no difference in this scenario for me. On, off, both give me an image when pasted from FF into Photo.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, DenalB said:

But the question is still, why I'm not able to paste the copied image with the help of CTRL+V into my template

I'm sorry, I haven't a clue but

If you use File/Place then the filename box will accept a url

image.png.8b498ea5f7f32d213aaa7a11507558a7.png

So this should make the image available to APhoto without using the clipboard. Any use?

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10