You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A Little Issue with Drop Caps

Here is the situation as seen in screenshot:

The 'F' of 'After' is too far away from the Drop caps 'A' of 'After'.  Bring them closer through a negative value brings the 'S' of 'Should' obviously too close and underneath the Drop caps 'A'. I simply can not figure a method to bring the F of After subtly closer to the Drop caps.  I tried creating a manual text box with the Letter A inside and using text wrap but that did not succeed either.  I wonder if anybody has any suggestions please?

Capture.JPG.1b8ea35be406da43bca823f594fe0272.JPG

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

I find the easiest way is to type a separate letter, so, in this case it would be the letter 'A' and then convert the the Drop Cap to a Curve and set the text wrapping accordingly. Probably not ideal but it's a workaround and it works.

image.png.32a524d4ad46e0bdbece12db48ffec50.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Another possibility would be to Float a Pinned, Converted To Curves, Artistic Text layer in the Frame Text with Tight Text Wrap – see attached image. (Similar to above but the Drop Cap automatically moves with the frame.)

One problem with this, and the method mentioned earlier, is that the spell check will flag “fter” as a problem, as can be seen in firstdefence’s image.

image.thumb.png.3a99f0779f1f87e3e3b73d090cc5e64e.png

These are great suggestions - thank you both of you.  I will try both - thank you.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Well in the process of trying out both suggestions I discovered something that can not be done by inserting measurements in the text wrap settings, no matter how hard I tried.  I attach screenshot where I could manipulate the second sentence independent of the first sentence and so achieved what I needed. But without either of your suggestions I would not have discovered this so another thank you.

Capture.JPG

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

One other idea is to use a different typeface – maybe one that’s more ‘square’ and/or ‘blocky’ – for the Drop Cap.

A quick look at various real-world uses shows that the Drop Cap is often different from the body text.

Hallo Garry, nce of you to add this, I actually was thinking about this as a very last resort - but I thought I would go the complicated route first😊

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 10:59 AM, N.P.M. said:

Here's another option;
Make the first letter white or page color if you will.
Create an artistic text object with the obscured letter>give it a textwrap option and adjust the textwrapshape accordingly.
Now the text will be complete but you may need to adjust the placing when you alter the text as it will not flow with the text

DropCapFit.afpub

Hallo NPM, thank you for this I will take a look at it and see if it is more complicated than my own solution, if your idea turns out to be quite easy I probably won't use it.