You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't show margins for one section of my document when Master pages are used

thetasig

Strange that in one section of some 25 I have in my document, one section would not show the margins when turned on via the View/Show Margins choice.  If I cleared the masters for that section, then the Margins would show up.

At this point I cannot get both the Margins and the Master page items (heading, page#). For that Section they are mutually exclusive.

The other problem: when I apply the correct Master for that Section (to all the pages in that section), they do show up in each of the pages in that section in the Layers panel, but at the bottom of the Layers panel. And the single last page selected in that Section of some 30 pages DOES show the Master Items (weird). The Master page items do not show in the other pages until I manually move the Master Page layers (for a spread of 2 pages) up to the top of the Layers panel for each page.

All other sections of the document show both Margins and Master Page items (different Masters) reliably. I have never run into this before in the several years using AFPUB.

Would appreciate some help with this please.

Thank you.

One possibility is that the Master Page you're having trouble with does not have Margins specified. You can see that in the Margins tab in the Spread Setup dialog when you have that Master Page selected in the Pages panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, thetasig said:

The other problem: when I apply the correct Master for that Section (to all the pages in that section), they do show up in each of the pages in that section in the Layers panel, but at the bottom of the Layers panel.
(…) Master page items do not show in the other pages until I manually move the Master Page layers

This is the default Affinity behaviour, no but. You can only change a master layer position in the panel manually, either page by page – or for the entire document via the "Edit Linked" option.

If there is no object covering the missing master objects: Can you show a screenshot of a spread which has a master applied that doesn't occur in the layout view? (layout view in not preview mode + layers panel + all layers unfolded + a master object selected with the move tool)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thanks, Walt,

It's always good to get your perspective (always appreciated). However, for my book none of my 6 Master Pages have a margin specified. Instead I specify the margins at the page level. For a book, I have the inside page margins set to Inner: .5"; outer: .25", top: .25", bottom: .25".  (For all pages.) When I specify the Margins at the page level - the software automatically applies the correct margin for recto and verso pages.

The problem I perceived when checking it out is that if you specify margins at the Master Page level then the Margin settings are different: "Left, Right, Top, Bottom" - so, I would need to create 2 Master Pages for each spread in a Section and apply some to odd pages and others to even pages. Then if I decide to add pages or delete pages in the middle of the document, all heck breaks loose as the recto / verso pages would (do) get the wrong margin setting.

This whole problem is resolved when using page margin settings instead of Master Page margin settings. It all works perfectly in the other 5 Master pages (the Inner, Outer, Top and Bottom all work perfectly on left- and right-hand pages and Margins do show on them as well. It is just this 6th Master Page that makes the margins disappear where that Master is used.

I did try to make a new Master Page with the same characteristics as the old one - cleared old and then applied new to the particular Section pages that use that Master. It still made the Margins disappear.

At this point, I am suspecting corruption in the document (though everything else seems to work perfectly), but I'm no expert in that area. I'm currently using AFPUB 1.10.5 on High Sierra.

Regards,

-=mark=-

5 minutes ago, thetasig said:

The problem I perceived when checking it out is that if you specify margins at the Master Page level then the Margin settings are different: "Left, Right, Top, Bottom" - ...

Not in my experience. Note that this is with 2 page spreads, not single page spreads.

1421423883_ScreenShot2022-10-31at10_14_54AM.png.3baa36f899c9547e24e92c76e3241b09.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thomaso - thanks for your clarification.

I am able to get all pages to use and show the Master Pages. Thanks for the tip on making that happen (I still have to learn about the "Edit Linked" option and how to use it - haven't used it yet.)

The problem still remains that that particular section will not View/Show Margins.  All other pages using different Master Pages (well almost all) do show the margins "box." There are a couple of single "recto" pages using a different Master Page that also do not show the margins - maybe just 2 of the 268 pages.

As described above to Walt (sorry about the delay and "out-of-sequence" reply), I use the pages margin settings instead of using Master Page margin settings for all except a couple of pages that do not use the Master Page items (no page numbers, heading, stripe).

It is not a critical problem - I don't need the margins to print anyway and the document is nearly finished.

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 10.15.06 AM.png

And thanks, too, to Walt and Tomaso!

Just a follow-up. I made the changes to the master pages. And all of the document pages "cleared up" and showed mostly the correct way. However, I noticed that the heading and page number text items on the master pages were not going into the bleed as they are designed to do. It wasn't until I manually "applied" the masters again to the appropriate pages that the text items entered into the bleed as designed. I suppose I would have assumed that those changes to the master pages would automatically be applied to the document pages too.  Anyway all is good now!  Thanks again for great help!