You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo causes my computer to hang completely

After a few clicks or adjustmens, when zooming, and today one time even right after the start, Affinity Photo causes my computer to hang completely. Mouse doesn’t react, neither does the keyboard. Screen is frozen.
I can only “hard-reset” my laptop by pressing and holding the ON/OFF key.

After a new start, Affinity Photo will fire up, but after a few mouseclicks the same thing. Slow reaction and then … nothing. I do hear the vent of my processor working harder, so  Photo “does” something but I cannot see a result.
I've been working with A.Ph. for over a year but the problem exists for a few weeks now. It seemed to become bigger and bigger when I was learning and experimenting with layers and masks and yes, this makes a file much bigger but that shouldn’t cause that kind of huge problem.
After all I presume you do not develop your software on a  multi-billion pound supercomputer.:)

I’m using
Windows 10 (with automatic updates),
Affinity Photo version (1.10.5.1342), de- and re-installed Photo about 3 times now but no change for the better.
Also de-installed Designer and Publisher

Specs of my laptop:

Processor            Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.59 GHz

RAM                     16,0 GB 

Type systeem     64-bits OS, x64-processor

Video cards:

* Intel(R) UHD graphics 630

* NVIDIA Quadro T1000

Setting Affinity Photo to work with the Intel graphics card or the T1000 had no effect.

Can you help me with this please?

zet zo en zo de hardware versnelling uit, daar zijn teveel problemen mee. 
verder kan geheugen een rol spelen. teveel processen op de achtergrond kan ook meespelen.

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

• Staff

Hi @MarcelJM_M,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

As above, I'd recommend trying with Hardware Acceleration disabled within Affinity - can you also provide a screenshot of your settings under Edit > Preferences > Performance for me?

On 10/29/2022 at 11:10 PM, MarcelJM_M said:

Setting Affinity Photo to work with the Intel graphics card or the T1000 had no effect.

Was this set within Affinity, or Windows settings please?

On 10/29/2022 at 11:10 PM, MarcelJM_M said:

Specs of my laptop

As you're using a laptop, does this occur when connected to wall power, or when running on battery? I ask this as your laptop will likely default to the Intel GPU when on battery, and the Nvidia GPU when plugged in. The laptop will also have less CPU power when running on battery (though we still wouldn't expect the behaviour you've reported when on battery, but the app will react slower)

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 10/30/2022 at 3:34 AM, RichardMH said:

Have you tried with hardware acceleration off? 

Sounds like its a virtual memory thing. Maybe use Task manager or Resource monitor to monitor what's going on.

I'm not a "hardware-accellerator". 
This is not always a very wise thing to do, as I can read on the 'www' so I never even searched in Windows where I can change this setting.
However, there's a tool in my Asus ProArt StudioBook called ProArt Creator Hub and there I can set the fan speed for CPU and GPU.
It has three "levels" Standard, Performance and Full speed.
I set it back to Standard and now there is no "hanging" any more. Problem seems to be solved ... hooray
What this lesser cooling has to do with the performance of the CPU itself, I do not know.
Maybe nothing at all and I'm just saying stupid things?! :S

On 10/30/2022 at 1:32 PM, Studio97Visuals said:

zet zo en zo de hardware versnelling uit, daar zijn teveel problemen mee. 
verder kan geheugen een rol spelen. teveel processen op de achtergrond kan ook meespelen.

I'm always carefull with too many processes, Norton virusscanner used to consume a lot al performance, but naowaydays this is no problem anymore.
As picture-finder I use FastStone Image Viewer, but that is lightweigt as well.

11 hours ago, Dan C said:

Was this set within Affinity, or Windows settings please?

It was set in Affinity Photo, see the screenshot.
In Windows I can see that the laptop monitor uses the Intel chip and the external monitor uses the T1000 card.

Anyway I don't know why but the problem doesn't exist any more, maybe a "weekend bug"
Thank you all very much for your friendly replies !!

Knipsel.PNG

21 hours ago, RichardMH said:

The hardware acceleration is in the performance preferences, towards the bottom. Its on by default and can cause problems with some GPU. If you have problems again, try turning it off.

Thank you Richard, I turned this off as well ... and didn't see the program becoming slower.
Makes me wonder what this "acceleration thing" is all about if doesn't help or even leads to problems.
Probably a matter of lack  of standardisation .
Thanks again !!
Marcel