You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export .apub to .pdf leaves many errors in print file

Hello,l

I am using Publisher 1.10.5 with macOS 12.6.1 (Monterey)
I finshed a 160 pages book A4 Format and exported the print file as pdf. After I received the printed books I realised, that the pdf file contains several mistakes. Mainly sub headlines (bold) have been shown as regular fonts. Sometimes within a section these sub headlines were partly bold and partly regular font weights. Although in the .apub file the fonts were specified correctly. Is there anything I've overseen? The two attached files should only one example, the first is the pdf, the second the pub version.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-10-28 um 09.11.26.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-10-28 um 09.11.37.png

10 hours ago, flying_2000 said:

Mainly sub headlines (bold) have been shown as regular fonts. Sometimes within a section these sub headlines were partly bold and partly regular font weights. Although in the .apub file the fonts were specified correctly.

What font family are you using?
Did these come with macOS?
Can you provide a few pages which do and do not show this issue?

• 1 month later...

Very sorry for the delay: Some health problems kept me on the ground.
I am using the font Muli throughout, except for the main headlines, which is Philosopher font.

Attached are three pages, each in .apub (shown as .pdf) and .pdf (shown as _.pdf) format. however I understand the need to embed the fonts and convert the text in curves.
Thank you for you help and again: Sorry for the delay.

Alexander

85.pdf 114.pdf 116.pdf 85_.pdf 114_.pdf 116_.pdf

8 hours ago, flying_2000 said:

I am using the font Muli throughout

The Muli fonts available from various font websites have badly mis-configured name fields inside the fonts. This can cause issues like what you have here where the wrong font gets embedded in the PDF.

Mulish is an updated version of Muli which has fixed these issues. IIRC Google Fonts had an issue with getting approval from the designer's estate to use the name, so they renamed the Muli font family to Mulish. And improved it a lot.

From the GF About page: 
"It was initially drawn in 2011 by Vernon Adams and then refined until 2014, adding more weights, support for more Latin languages, tightened the spacing and kerning and made many glyph refinements throughout the family – all based on hundreds of users' feedback. In 2017 the family was updated by Jacques Le Bailly to complete the work started by Vernon after he passed away, in collaboration with his wife Allison, an arist who holds the trademark on the typeface family name. In August 2019, it was updated with a Variable Font "Weight" axis."

So changing the font to Mulish should solve your issue in the future.

Download the fonts here: https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Mulish

Note: use the static fonts, not the variable.