You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Perspective correction on Photo

Hello!

I'm shooting architecture images and need a tool to correct building edges to make the 100% vertical.

Does anyone know a proper workflow to do this. I don't find the Perspective tool suitable. I'm talking about workflow, like explained in this video. And how you can set those lines in Lightroom and the AI to make the building stand straight.

• Staff

Hi KonsPaul,

Unfortunately we don't have a tool for perspective correction like the one shown in your video I'm afraid. The closest we have to this would be the perspective tool as you have already found. I have a found a tutorial that explains the best work flow for perspective correction on buildings you may find it useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RVj6i9SjXE

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

@Konspaul

I hesitate to post this (because it is not a Serif product) but I know it has been mentioned previously in the forum, DXO Viewpoint is really very good at doing what you are asking for!

It is not especially cheap but there is a Free Trial you might like to check out.  It also installs as a plugin, accessible from within APh but, for reasons I have yet to ascertain, it does not "work" in that scenario!  However, the Stand Alone version clearly can be used, albeit "outside" APh.

@Callum should you feel this post is inappropriate in the Affinity forums please feel free to hide or delete it.

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

39 minutes ago, emmrecs01 said:

I hesitate to post this (because it is not a Serif product) but I know it has been mentioned previously in the forum, DXO Viewpoint is really very good at doing what you are asking for!

DxO ViewPoint also comes as part of the DxO Nik Collection. As @emmrecs01says, it only works as a standalone, but it does the job well.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

8 hours ago, Konspaul said:

Does anyone know a proper workflow to do this.

Not great, but usable:

• add a rectangular shape and put it the the place where the straightened lines should be. In the video example, use the lower edge, and ignore that the upper edge is far wider than the untouched original.
  • have snapping activated with suitable settings 
  • add an perspective adjustment layer on top. It will show the nodes matching the rectangular shape,
  • switch to source mode
  • move adjustment layer between rectangle and original image
  • now move upper the nodes outwards to the correct point in original. The rectangle helps to keep the lower line at given height.
  • you see the result as live preview

the main tricks are:

1. use a rectangular shape as helper
  2. Use perspective filter in source mode, and set the edges at one edge (upper or lower) to good visible references on source images.
  3. the live preview and helper shape make it very easy to get straight vertical lines, and keep the horizontal line untouched.
  4. You need one horizontal straight line before you start. Use develop persona and rotate to achieve this. You can again place a helper object above the image, before selecting the source image for rotation.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ashf said:

Anyone tested Viewpoint in V2?

Yes, no change. They added live mesh warp which is great on its own, but help nothing in this case.

Filed a new feature request for V2.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

6 hours ago, ashf said:

Anyone tested Viewpoint in V2?

This is the message you get from Viewpoint as a plugin within Affinity Photo...
image.png.b70d8d1ef20e9f5f176bec840f47c32d.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions