You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Crashes when changing folder in Save as box

Hi developer team, please check the (unlisted) video, everything explained there.

When I say backup copy, I mean recovery file. Both have been there and for that I didn't lose any work.

I can not reproduce it this happens coincidentally. There is one pattern: only on first start of AP. After crash and 2nd start, the problem is gone until next reboot of Mac.

Something completely different, I ask this each post here in the forum:

• When will get Effects/Gaussian Blur be enabled for masks?
  • When will we get a Fill slider additionally to the Opacity slider.
  • When will be an indicator added, showing the layer has Blend Options applied? Compliments: the Affinity implementation is far better to use as he flimsy Blend-if sliders of Photoshop.

Version 1.10.5, additional purchased on Serif homepage instead of AppStore.

Reason: Photoshop add-ons such as Topaz Denoise do not work with AppStore version of Affinity Photo. Once I got told here in the forum because AppStore apps have to run sandboxed.

Cheers and Happy Halloween,
Roland

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography
Pipobike Mountainbike Guide and Driving Instructor

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

• Staff

@Roland RickIt's not something I've been able to reproduce on my Intel macOS system running Monterey or on my M1 Mac Mini. Have you tried using a different cloud storage to see if it narrows down the issue, it may also relate to syncing files, which isn't something we have control over.

We are aware of a few things that may still effect the apps, see this FAQ article, as it relates to caching our apps do on their first boot that relate to Metal acceleration. Some have been resolved in recent macOS updates.

To answer your other questions, we don't confirm when or if new features will be added to the apps. If you haven't already post your requests in the dedicated section as our developers do review them.

On 10/28/2022 at 6:27 AM, ashf said:

Are you on Ventura, or Monterey?

Also have you tried disabling "Automatically adjust brightness"?
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-your-displays-brightness-mchlp2704/mac

@ashf, Monterey, latest updates installed.

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

On 10/28/2022 at 6:27 AM, ashf said:

Are you on Ventura, or Monterey?

Also have you tried disabling "Automatically adjust brightness"?
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-your-displays-brightness-mchlp2704/mac

@ashf, I disabled now "Automatic adjust brightness", "True Tone" is still checked. I have no idea how this shold affect my problem, however, I'll give it a try.

FYC:
 image.jpeg.2bbd02173b4da1f46e17e38c483de1e7.jpeg

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

9 hours ago, ashf said:

Have you tried disabling the Metal Computing in the Preferences>Performance?

No, because this is essential for a performant Mac and Affinity. I do no disable graphics performance because of a total hanger when writing something to disk. It has no technical connection.

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2022 at 12:33 PM, Lee D said:

@Roland RickIt's not something I've been able to reproduce on my Intel macOS system running Monterey or on my M1 Mac Mini. Have you tried using a different cloud storage to see if it narrows down the issue, it may also relate to syncing files, which isn't something we have control over.

We are aware of a few things that may still effect the apps, see this FAQ article, as it relates to caching our apps do on their first boot that relate to Metal acceleration. Some have been resolved in recent macOS updates.

To answer your other questions, we don't confirm when or if new features will be added to the apps. If you haven't already post your requests in the dedicated section as our developers do review them.

Hi @Lee D, meanwhile 2.x is released. I purchased the Universal license. In V2 I didn't have the problem yet.

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/15/2022 at 9:24 AM, Parka said:

I'm facing this problem as well

Affinity Photo v2.0.0 on MacOS 13.0.1

Affinity Photo v1 (can't remember exact version) on MacOS.

Hi @Parka, I assume, I could solve the problem by adding Full Disk Access to the Affinity Software, here a screenshot (from the new, totally messed and "design flawed" Ventura System Settings), if it's missing, you can add it by clicking on that +

Please let me know, if that also solved your problem, thanks!

Best regards,
Roland

image.jpeg.313cac8739b0ceb998f31099692f4c60.jpeg

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2022 at 6:10 PM, Roland Rick said:

Hi @Parka, I assume, I could solve the problem by adding Full Disk Access to the Affinity Software, here a screenshot (from the new, totally messed and "design flawed" Ventura System Settings), if it's missing, you can add it by clicking on that +

Please let me know, if that also solved your problem, thanks!

Best regards,
Roland

image.jpeg.313cac8739b0ceb998f31099692f4c60.jpeg

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've been testing for two weeks and did not encounter any crashes so I guess it works!

• 2 months later...

@MEB, please fix this problem:

@Parka, for your info and convenience.

Hi Developer Crew, please help.

1. The user I'm working with has admin rights.
  2. Apple MBA M1 16 GB RAM, 8 Core.
  3. Studio Display Attached, lid of MBA closed.

The problem is back and I have no clue why. I tried multiple times, it is not possible to export 4 trivial jpg files by export persona.

Despite of that what I said, obviously SnagIt 2023 now records also the spinning beach ball of death.

Additional info, I tried after recording the video: AP 2.0.4 crashes also not clicking on new folder, a mouse over on the dialog box "Select the folder into which the exported files should be saved" is sufficient for a crash.

For that I even can't change the folder and disk and not try to export to another volume.

That problem exists since years, no matter if it's the App Store version or the retail version.

Since I purchased the Universal License, I'm of course no longer using the AppStore versions.

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography