You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Any Information about the Chrashes on Windows 10/11 when searching Fonts?

Please give us any update you have about the crashes when searching Fonts on Windows 10/11.

I didn't even have any of the mentioned updates installed, you mentioned here 

I tried everything, checked if any updates are installed, and also the other way around updated with all available Updates for Windows 10 or Windows 11 to see if its working but it is crashing.

This is causing many problems now because We have started in our office Projects in/with Affinity Designer and Publisher and cant switch to adobe (which we dont like working on that much as affinity ;) ) to continue the work. 

• Staff

Hi @hashtag amazing,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

1 hour ago, hashtag amazing said:

Please give us any update you have about the crashes when searching Fonts on Windows 10/11.

This issue is logged with Microsofts bug reporting team and we're awaiting a further response from them currently.

1 hour ago, hashtag amazing said:

I tried everything, checked if any updates are installed, and also the other way around updated with all available Updates for Windows 10 or Windows 11 to see if its working but it is crashing.

Sorry to hear this - can you please open Control Panel > Uninstall a Program > View Installed Updates and provide a screenshot of the updates here for me?

Many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hi @hashtag amazing and @G13RL

As long as Microsoft does not provide a fix for the framework problem, the following solution is available if you still want to install the cumulative .NET updates.

Solution:
Open the directory in which the Affinity programmes are installed. As a rule, C:\Programme\Affinity\(Desinger ...Photo ...Publisher)
Search and open the .exe.config file (for example Designer.exe.config) with a text editor.
Search for "<add key="IsVirtualizingStackPanel_45Compatible" value="true"/>"
Replace the value true with the value false.
Save the file (administrative rights are required to overwrite!).

Now the programmes shoud work as expected.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

I am having an issue that seems to be related. It just started within the last week. I am still running Windows 10. In both Photo and Designer when scrolling through fonts with arrow keys - watching what I typed change for each font highlighted - when I get to a font that has other available variations (italics, narrow, bold, etc) usually I could hit the Right arrow key to open up that subset and scroll through those as well. Now, every time I click the Right arrow, Affinity freezes then closes. Help?!

8 minutes ago, j.king said:

Help?!

If it's a related issue then the same fix (uninstall and hide the Windows update) or one of the workarounds should work.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Well this is a bit terrifying as I use Affinity for all of my freelance work. Was just reading in another post with an account of Affinity apps no longer opening at all (on W10 or W11). God forbid! Are there any drawbacks to uninstalling the Windows 10 updates? Am I looking for just one of the KB numbers listed or will there be several that need to be uninstalled? Also, I tried typing in the font search bar (not something I ever do) and it crashed just as reported here. So, it does appear the freeze/crash I experienced is related.

• Staff
20 hours ago, hashtag amazing said:

sure, as requested: 

image.png.6f6a36f45e84ffa2c0b6414ef105353f.png

Thanks for providing that for me! That's certainly strange as I too cannot see any of the expected updates here.

Can you please open Windows Settings > Updates & Security > View Update History and provide a screenshot of the installed updates here for me? 

20 hours ago, G13RL said:

On W11.
This morning I got an update (KB5018341).

I can confirm this is one of the known updates, listed in the FAQ - uninstalling this update should stop the crashing behaviour :)

18 hours ago, j.king said:

Am I looking for just one of the KB numbers listed or will there be several that need to be uninstalled?

Usually the .NET updates are installed, overwriting the previous update, so you should be able to simply remove the latest .NET KB update (as listed in the FAQ) and this should stop the app from crashing - please do let us know how you get on here!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Well, I hope this gets fixed (permanently) by someone soon! I've updated to the latest version of Windows (which someone said solved the problem - it didn't for me!) I tried what Komatös posted above, but although I'm logged in as administrator it didn't work. (I got a message saying to contact the administrator!) I've now uninstalled the offending update three times and the problem is back again! (AFAIK there is no way to stop it reinstalling in Windows 10, as there is in Windows 11.) 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

13 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

I tried what Komatös posted above, but although I'm logged in as administrator it didn't work.

It does not work because the instructions are inadequate. Read the instructions in my longish post in

to see what needs to be done. In a nutshell: you also need to specify 4.8 as the .NET runtime version number since if you leave it as the current value (most probably 4.7.2), the ignore setting related to data virtualization does not work, and additionally it would cause the OS to try to reinstall old 4.7.2 version once you already have the later 4.8 or 4.8.1 version installed. The fix is also different depending on whether the app is purchased from Serif or Windows Store. More generally: It would be better to simply refer to original posts instead of quoting inaccurately (and without testing).

44 minutes ago, lacerto said:

Read the instructions in my longish post in

Direct pointer: 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 10/27/2022 at 2:11 PM, walt.farrell said:

Direct pointer: 

doesn't help at all, this workaround is not applicable to most Users. "Do it at your own Risk". so hell no, and secondly I honestly don't have time to resolve this issue like described, i have to put my time to get my work done which rely on proper working software. 
this Bug sucks, it makes working in affinity currently a pain in the ass because you are playing Russian roulet (Will it crash or not) every time you want to change fonts.
And usually, it crashes and if you did not save your Work every time, you are literally getting angry. Lost already a lot of working time due this bug and im mad at the moment.

3 minutes ago, hashtag amazing said:

Lost already a lot of working time due this bug and im mad at the moment.

So would I be if I had not followed one of the simple workarounds given in the forum

Happy to say, no more crashes and lots of dosh hitting my bank account

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Simple solution: Don't search for fonts; scroll to them or add as Favourites! 

(I know, far from ideal, but it works for me and it's better than losing work, due to crashes!)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Just now, PaulEC said:

Simple solution: Don't search for fonts; scroll to them or add as Favourites! 

(I know, far from ideal, but it works for me and it's better than losing work, due to crashes!)

another hero in this helpdesk forum. ... i dont know about you, maybe you can scroll through your comic sans and times new roman font-sets but this not works for me i have many hundert fonts installed.

Sorry guys, in no way was I saying the situation is acceptable, it's driving me up the wall too! All I'm saying is, if you know doing something is going to cause a crash, stop doing it until the problem is fixed! It's a bit pointless complaining that every time it happens, you lose work, if you keep doing something that you know will cause a crash!

44 minutes ago, hashtag amazing said:

i have many hundert fonts installed

Me too! But I rarely use more than two or three fonts in the same document (so can use Recent and Favourite font lists) and I also use a font manager. 

As N.P.M. says this problem affects other things, not just searching for fonts, but until Microsoft (or, possibly Serif?) provide a fix, all we can do is either use the fixes/workarounds suggested, or try to avoid doing things that cause the crashes.