You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Just discovered Affinity as I'm searching for a more affordable option for my business than Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. All of the company computers are Apple Mac's and Affinity seems perfect. Currently I design our product labels using PS5. The background of the label is simply a single colour on both sides with white in the middle, but made using the gradient tool, so that it gives the appearance of wrapping around the container. I just can't figure out how to use the gradient tool in Affinity. Is there anyone who can kindly point me in the right direction please?

I hope so, because I want to buy Affinity but need to be certain I can use it before I do.

• Staff

Hi minimi,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You didn't specify which program you are using. Assuming it's Designer do the following:

Draw a rectangle using the Rectangle Tool. Select the Fill Tool (or press G) and drag it over the rectangle you just created on canvas. The gradient control handles will appear. Click over the Gradient line to add colour stops, select one of them and press delete on your keyboard to remove them. To change their colours, select them and pick/select a colour from the Colour panel. If you prefer you can also control almost all these setting using the pop up panel available from the context toolbar clicking on the fill colour rectangle there. 

For more info please check this video tutorial: Complex Gradients.

Affinity Photo works the same way but the tool is called Gradient Tool rather than Fill Tool.

Thank you for your help. I have a 10 day trial copy of Affinity Designer, which I believe will be perfect for my needs IF I can ever get my head around new tricks. 

I can draw the rectangle and select the Fill Tool, however, if I press G my computer makes a really weird clicking noise, just like it does if something is resting on the keys. So that's not an option for me. Dragging the fill tool into the rectangle does nothing, I can't see any colour there, even though I've selected a colour. I find the gradients very simple in FS, and want this to be just as simple.

I'm going to watch the video half a dozen times and see if I can get it sorted.

Many thanks. I prefer to watch the video's so it will be a big help.

Happy New Year to all. 

• Staff

Hi minimi,
The rectangle must be selected before dragging the Gradient Tool over it otherwise nothing will happen.As a general rule, before performing any action on an object you must select it first.
For more video tutorials check this thread: In-house Affinity Designer Video Tutorials.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi jjrikly,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Yes, you can save gradients. Select the object that contains the gradient you want to save, go to Swatches tab on the right, select the palette where you want to store the gradient if needed and click the small palette icon on the right of the dropdown (Add current fill to palette).

• 3 months later...

Affinity Photo:

Hi,

I want to create some metal-gradients, save them and export (to share) them.

But i doesn't work.

If I click the palette symbol, only one color is saved.

If I click on the settings on the right, I can choose several options, but it will never save a gradient, but a palette of colors.

(the layer is active, the gradient tool selected, the dropdown on the right is set to gradients.

Sorry, I don't find a way, even in the help-menu.

Can you help me? What is my mistake?

Ciao Jack 

post-14632-0-92701500-1462771307_thumb.jpg

Affinity Jack

Video-Tutorials on YouTube in German with English Subtitles

Link to my YouTube-Channel: AFFINITY JACK

Author in the team of www.affinitytutorials.de, the website all about Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer

• Staff

Hi Affinity Jack,

I believe you are trying to save a gradient applied to a Fill layer or similar (raster object/layer). As far as i know there's currently no way to save them directly from the gradient pop up or from another place. Only gradients applied to vector shapes can be saved to the Swatches panel as gradients selecting the object and clicking the Add current fill to palette icon on the right of the dropdown.

Hi Affinity Jack,

I believe you are trying to save a gradient applied to a Fill layer or similar (raster object/layer). As far as i know there's currently no way to save them directly from the gradient pop up or from another place. Only gradients applied to vector shapes can be saved to the Swatches panel as gradients selecting the object and clicking the Add current fill to palette icon on the right of the dropdown.

Hi MEB,

it works!

Without your solution, I never would find out.

It's a little bit complicate.

More practicable would be creating a gradient directly from the gradient panel.

In "adjustment layer - gradient map" there are no favorite gradients offered.

Thank you!

So I can go on to create some metal gradients.

Ciao Jack 

Affinity Jack

Video-Tutorials on YouTube in German with English Subtitles

Link to my YouTube-Channel: AFFINITY JACK

Author in the team of www.affinitytutorials.de, the website all about Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer