You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pasting entire document into new document without having to link every single page

I set up a brand new document and have alternate odd/even page master pages applied throughout.  I have set up the text frames and page numbers and the odd/even pages have their different margins.  One slight problem I do not know how to solve is this:  How do I paste 90 pages of text into my new document WITHOUT having to link every single page individually?  Thank you

Chris

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

You generally would start with the Master Page, and one document page. Probably with a Facing Page setup and one Master. Link the left text frame to the right text frame.

Paste your source document into the text frame on document page 1, and then shift+click the red linking triangle on the lower right side of the frame.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

You generally would start with the Master Page, and one document page. Probably with a Facing Page setup and one Master. Link the left text frame to the right text frame.

Paste your source document into the text frame on document page 1, and then shift+click the red linking triangle on the lower right side of the frame.

Hallo Walt,

I attach a screenshot.  It shows page 1 and page 2, each with their own masterpage and different margins, with text Frame box set up on both master pages.  These will be printed as 'Print Both sides', and therefore require these settings for binding purposes, they are not facing pages.  I tried importing text and doing exacty what you said before posting, problem was that when I clicked the red triangle on the first page it created all 90 odd pages BUT ignored completely the masterpage settings for the even pages.  In other words - it created all the pages (Text frames) exactly the same.

Capture.JPG

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

As I said, to do what you want, setup a Facing Pages document. That will allow the workflow you want, including pasting in your other document and having it flow and link automatically.

Where you are now won't work for that, as far as I know.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

11 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

As I said, to do what you want, setup a Facing Pages document. That will allow the workflow you want, including pasting in your other document and having it flow and link automatically.

Where you are now won't work for that, as far as I know.

....then make sure one prints as a single page and not as a booklet - yes I get that - and I set this up, but I still have the same problem, I have to go through every single page of either the odd or even page and manually adjust the text frame of the odd or even pages in order to print back to front (on both sides) as individual A4 pages. 

Screenshot 01 - I am not aware of any method where you can set up a seperate master page - one for the left side and one for the right side of this spread? ALSO, Shift + click on that red arrow does NOT work even here, for it sends ALL the text to one side of the page throughout the whole document.  The ONLY way to do this is to click normally on every single page and flow your copied document individually onto every single page. Screenshot 02 - AUTOMATIC flow does not work in this particular case, it will not flow into text frames that are positioned differently throughout the document ie onto odd pages AND even pages with different margins.

Walt thanks for your help I guess I shall just do it the long way and copy paste everything and manually adjust each text frame accordingly.  Convenience is nice when it works but I am not going to spend anymore time figuring this out - Thank you.

Kind Regards

Capture.JPG.c9db53175cf88bb129dbe2ad9e5e10c7.JPG

Chris

Capture.JPG

3 hours ago, Chris26 said:

then make sure one prints as a single page and not as a booklet - yes I get that - and I set this up, but I still have the same problem, I have to go through every single page of either the odd or even page and manually adjust the text frame of the odd or even pages in order to print back to front (on both sides) as individual A4 pages. 

With a Facing Page document, you can setup your Facing Page Master Page to have different inner- and outer-margins, which should take care of what you need.

I am not aware of any method where you can set up a seperate master page - one for the left side and one for the right side of this spread?

Why would you want to? You can do everything with 1 Facing Page Master.

ALSO, Shift + click on that red arrow does NOT work even here, for it sends ALL the text to one side of the page throughout the whole document. 

That means you did not link the left and right text frames (as I mentioned above) on the single Facing Page Master Page before you did the shift+click. It really is as simple as I said, and many of us have done it.

-- Walt
PC:

20 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You are right - I was not reading this carefully enough.  I was linking the text frames in the document not on the master pages themselves.

Thank you Walt.

You're welcome, Chris.

-- Walt
PC: