You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Best way to handle a picture and text rich chapter book

Happy Tuesday everyone. I have previously formatted a 200 pages book which has a lot of pictures and one overall text flow throughout the book. I realise now that I may have not done this the most efficient way. I have separated the chapters using sections and each chapter page (Lesson 1, 2, 3 etc) is a separate master page with the large photo of the bear on it. When I originally sent the book to print, I had a fair few issues with pages being laid on top of each other, images behaving strangely, AFP crashing on me once in a while and so on. I could not figure out the source of my issues and once I managed to get the book to behave enough to be printed I said to myself "that's it, you can NEVER do major edits to this book again!" 🤣 Because one small change and the whole document will go crazy again!

So fast forward to today, I see no choice but to go back on my word and do major edits to the book as I need to publish a second edition. Certain sections will need to be deleted or added and I may even need to swap two chapters with each other. Please help me figure out how to do this in the least painful way possible! One thing that I'm realising I need to have done is to assign separate master pages for each section and to not do one overall text flow, but separate texts for each lesson/chapter. I created new master pages for each chapter but when I go to apply the new master page, AFP crashes. I assume maybe that's because I first need to break my text down into chapters? I'm not sure how to do that in the most efficient way either. Is there a quick way to break the text down? Or do I need to literally cut and paste into new text boxes and when I lose all my formatting and image placement, just deal with that and do everything from scratch?

Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated! 🙏

image.thumb.png.c65e955a5317c918d8e91e27992c012e.png

• Staff

Hi @Sabz,

Regarding the app crashing when applying masters, to rule out this being related to the latest Windows updates I would recommend following the instructions in the FAQ below and then re-try applying your master pages.

Also, out of curiosity is there a reason you're using a beta build of Publisher instead of the latest release (1.10.5)?

20 hours ago, NathanC said:

Regarding the app crashing when applying masters, to rule out this being related to the latest Windows updates I would recommend following the instructions in the FAQ below and then re-try applying your master pages.

Thanks Nathan. Based on what I can see I do have a couple of those updates, but they are relatively recent and my issue was going on long before that. I do believe there might be a bug of some sort, so I'm not sure if anyone from AFP support could take a look at my document?

21 hours ago, NathanC said:

Also, out of curiosity is there a reason you're using a beta build of Publisher instead of the latest release (1.10.5)?

I was initially using the normal Publisher and kept having the above issues and bugs. I decided to trial the beta to see if it would improve things, but it didn't make any difference. Do you think it's best to go back to normal Publisher?

• Staff
5 minutes ago, Sabz said:

Thanks Nathan. Based on what I can see I do have a couple of those updates, but they are relatively recent and my issue was going on long before that. I do believe there might be a bug of some sort, so I'm not sure if anyone from AFP support could take a look at my document?

It would be worth following the FAQ to remove the update(s) incase it is related along with resolving the other issues that it can cause, however if the crashes you are encountering were occurring long before these were introduced then it's unlikely. I've provided a private dropbox link below if you wish to upload your document there so we can take a look. 🙂

It would be best if you could upload a packaged version of your file so I have access to your image resources/fonts, this can be done via File > Save as Package and then saving to an empty folder, the folder can then be zipped via Right Click > Compress to Zip and upload the zip file.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/jzrlIW5WgOoowS9E5gR4

16 minutes ago, Sabz said:

I was initially using the normal Publisher and kept having the above issues and bugs. I decided to trial the beta to see if it would improve things, but it didn't make any difference. Do you think it's best to go back to normal Publisher?

It would be best to work on the latest release instead of the beta build, since the beta you are currently running is likely v1.10.5, which has already been released.