You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Linked layers - moving a symbol over from Designer, to Photo, to Designer, to Photo causes 'corruption' of the symbol

Intuos5

If I move a symbol back and forth between Designer and Photo and manipulate the Symbol in the linked layers of Photo, I get this weird result, where the vector shape shows as unlinked, but it remains linked in practice.

Steps to reproduce

1. Open Affinity Designer

2. Create a rectangle

3. Convert the rectangle into a symbol

4. Go to File > Edit in Photo

5. In Photo, duplicate the symbol.

Notice the symbol has linked layer properties

6. Move the top symbol to the right

7. Select the rectangle within the symbol and unlink the vector shape

8. Go to File > Edit in Designer

9. In Designer, resize the rectangle and notice how the shapes remain linked.

10. Go to File Edit in Photo

Back in Photo, notice how the rectangle is displayed in the linked layers panel as being unlinked in the vector shape.

11. Resize the rectangle

12. Notice that both symbols are updated as if they were still linked by their vector shape.

11 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

This is not a bug because not all properties are shared between a symbol or linked layers.

This is clearly a bug, because the vector shapes are unlinked, according to the panel, but they are not. In this case the Symbol layer should act like a group with linked content inside, shouldn't it?

11 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

Also why don't you use publisher to switch persona's through studiolink.
Just a button click and can do almost everything designer or photo can do solely.

There were things missing in the personas of Publisher that necessitated me using Photo and Designer. And I started working in Designer to begin with. And pages are not arranged as conveniently as artboards. Also, I use a particular workspace for Designer and Photo, which correspond closely for collaboration between the two, whereas I use a different workspace for Designer to do my Publishing/ Presentation file work. I don't want to manage even more different workspaces each time I decide to work in a certain way. The program determines the workflow for me,  I don't want to mix multiple workflows in one program as that creates the one big bloated program problem touched upon earlier as well.

17 minutes ago, Intuos5 said:

And pages are not arranged as conveniently as artboards.

Just so you know, you can create documents with Artboards in Publisher.

1. Switch to the Designer Persona before using File > New.
  2. Turn off the Default Masterpage option, and make sure the number of pages is 1.
  3. Turn on Create Artboard.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrellAh thanks, didn't know that.
But there's no way to use slices, is there? There's no export persona in Publisher.

Still, the point remains that using Publisher for all work (because I need to access all these features mentioned above) does very much defeat the purpose of having a suite of products that are designed for to be used together, in which each of the products caters to a particular workflow. As I said, the UI/ workspaces is one reason, the various Designer and Photo sub-personas are another.

1 hour ago, Intuos5 said:

But there's no way to use slices, is there? There's no export persona in Publisher.

No, when it's time to Export, if you need slices, or multiple output files/formats, you would need to use File > Edit in.... 

1 hour ago, Intuos5 said:

does very much defeat the purpose of having a suite of products that are designed for to be used together,

I will disagree, as "to be used together" includes the concepts of supporting the same file format, and of using "Edit in". It does not require that each application have all the functions.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yeah, figured you'd have to use Edit in...

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I will disagree, as "to be used together" includes the concepts of supporting the same file format, and of using "Edit in". It does not require that each application have all the functions.

I agree, but as it stands the current common features with regards to layers are lacking to me, which in turn reduces the Edit in.. efficiency.

There were already logged cases of missing features in Designer's pixel persona that should have been there and were confirmed to be added in the future by Serif staff. So here's me hoping it goes for these features too.