You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher - Hyperlinks to external image files

How can I hyperlink to an external image file in Publisher?

In Publisher I have inserted the hyperlink (Choosing "File" as the Hyperlink Type) and also checked the box for Including  the file in when export.  I then exported the to pdf choosing Includes Hyperlink.

In Preview (MacOS Big Sur), when I clicked on the hyperlink, it gives me an error message "The Application cannot be opened -50".

I am aware there were discussion threads on this from before, but could not figure out what the solution was after reading it.  I have trying to create a pdf with hyperlink so that when reader click on it a photo will pop up, then the reader can close the photo and continue reading the article.

Where is the image hosted?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 minutes ago, Paulman said:

On the same hard drive as my Publisher file.

To be more specific, the source image file was in a different directory of the same hard drive.  I did noticed that Publisher has already made a copy of the image file and saved to the same directory as the pdf file generated by Publisher.

Will there be problem if the original Publisher file is in the same directory as the generated pdf file?

File hyperlinks will only work, @Paulman, if the user will have the linked file stored on their local machine. Even then, by default, they will need to have the same file/directory structure on their machine as you have on yours, as absolute paths are used.

You can find more about this in a couple of earlier discussions: 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/151288-file-hyperlinks-to-relative-path-not-generated-on-pdf/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/105561-linking-files/

I don't recall if we found differences between macOS and Windows there, but there may also be differences depending on which PDF viewer the user uses, so you might also try a different viewer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi @Paulman welcome to the forums,

It looks like this is specific to Preview having issues accessing the image within the specified file path, even if the image is kept locally/in the same directory as the PDF, as I also encountered this error message when trying to open the Image. I also was unable to open the hyperlink with an InDesign generated PDF in Preview.

However, with the PDF(s) opened in acrobat, the hyperlinked image opened successfully.

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

File hyperlinks will only work, @Paulman, if the user will have the linked file stored on their local machine. Even then, by default, they will need to have the same file/directory structure on their machine as you have on yours, as absolute paths are used.

You can find more about this in a couple of earlier discussions: 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/151288-file-hyperlinks-to-relative-path-not-generated-on-pdf/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/105561-linking-files/

I don't recall if we found differences between macOS and Windows there, but there may also be differences depending on which PDF viewer the user uses, so you might also try a different viewer.

@walt thanks for your response.  Silly me that I have not thought of trying to use Adobe Acrobat to read the pdf file as I was using Preview that come with MacOS.  When I used Adobe Acrobat, the hyperlink to the image file work (despite it will open a pane to ask if you want Acrobat to access the files every time you click on the hyperlinks, which seem a bit clumsy to me).

As to your point on the necessity for the linked file to be stored on the reader's machine, that prompt me to think that this is not the best way for me to design since I am writing personal travel journal to share with my family and friends.  But i might not necessarily want to give them access to the individual files.  In the past, I was using iBook Author and all the images are "packaged" in the ebook file.  That way, it would be cleaner in terms of file structure and also have a higher degree of control of my image files.

1 minute ago, NathanC said:

Hi @Paulman welcome to the forums,

It looks like this is specific to Preview having issues accessing the image within the specified file path, even if the image is kept locally/in the same directory as the PDF, as I also encountered this error message when trying to open the Image. I also was unable to open the hyperlink with an InDesign generated PDF in Preview.

However, with the PDF(s) opened in acrobat, the hyperlinked image opened successfully.

@Nathan, thanks.  Just found that out.

24 minutes ago, Paulman said:

In the past, I was using iBook Author and all the images are "packaged" in the ebook file.  That way, it would be cleaner in terms of file structure and also have a higher degree of control of my image files.

You should perhaps Place the image onto a page in your book, and create an Anchor on the image, and then create a Hyperlink to that Anchor. Then everything is self-contained.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

On 10/24/2022 at 8:22 PM, walt.farrell said:

You should perhaps Place the image onto a page in your book, and create an Anchor on the image, and then create a Hyperlink to that Anchor. Then everything is self-contained.

Thanks @walt.farrell.  One more question.  Is there a way to create a "Hidden Section" where I can store all my "Image Page", so that the reader will not be able to access to except through the hyperlink anchor?  Then I can create a hyperlink on the image page to send the reader back to the "Reading Page" after they finished looking at the picture.

9 minutes ago, Paulman said:

One more question.  Is there a way to create a "Hidden Section" where I can store all my "Image Page", so that the reader will not be able to access to except through the hyperlink anchor?  Then I can create a hyperlink on the image page to send the reader back to the "Reading Page" after they finished looking at the picture.

No. I would suggest just putting then at the end and not worrying about visibility. But providing the link back to the text is a good idea. 

-- Walt
PC:

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC: