You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add multiple colours within a curved shape accurately

Hi Folks, 

Happy new year and all that blah....

Quick questions, How would be the best way to go about adding a separate colour within a shape?

I have created a a shape with a black fill and now within that shape I need to further add grey stripes/blocks. I need them to fill it accurately. If it was a square shape then no problems but this is far from square and has curves all over the shop. Any ideas? no doubt you will have, hence why a reply on this forum like nothing else  :huh:

Cheers again and thanks in advance

Mark

I may be missing something here.... I just tried that but the grey stripes just disappear underneath the other layers. In short I have a base white layer shape followed by the black "curved" shape over top which then requires the grey stripes to be inserted into it. 

I just tried creating grey oblong shares and using the 'divide' tool to remove the excess but this resulted in my black shape being distorted as it had started life as a triangle but I used the corner tool to round the edges. As soon as I select the 'divide' tool the rounded corners revert back to the original shape. 

I am very confused  :(

I'm not sure I follow the problem. I didn't use divide at all (the divide result you're getting sounds odd in it's own right though). The shapes, as a group, are just embedded under the black shape. NOT just underneath.... nested underneath!! See the third picture.

Can you post an image or file?

Attached images:

1. bunch of ovals, grouped, on top of black.

2. Oval group in it's new nested position.

3. In the middle of moving the group.... see the blue line in layers palette? You can already see the effect

post-12544-0-40410500-1452377813_thumb.png

post-12544-0-54313700-1452377840_thumb.png

post-12544-0-82250900-1452377846_thumb.png